SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at an article about the 4C system and came across a vague statement about Advanced mode changing the throttle response. That was new information to me and I can't say that I've ever noticed it happening, myself.

So my questions are:

1. Does the 4C advanced mode actually change throttle response?

2. Previous owner of my car replaced front 4C struts with standard struts. My "Service chassis settings" notification is always on. Will this hinder the 4C from changing my throttle responsiveness? Just curious to know.

·
Registered
869 Posts
It's supposed to change throttle response and idle timing. I can't quantify the former, but I CAN verify the latter, as there's a subtle but distinct change in idle sound (especially with my Evolve exhaust) when I switch to Advanced.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's supposed to change throttle response and idle timing. I can't quantify the former, but I CAN verify the latter, as there's a subtle but distinct change in idle sound (especially with my Evolve exhaust) when I switch to Advanced.
I see. Thanks for the info.

Now to just find out if my 4C problem will cancel out that timing change when in advance mode.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Four-C buttons change accelerator pedal characteristics as well as idle timing like stated before. If you have problem with SUM and its components, then selecting different chassis modes wont make any difference ECM wise nor damping.
If you want that back, you have to install Four-C struts or hack it someway

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Four-C buttons change accelerator pedal characteristics as well as idle timing like stated before. If you have problem with SUM and its components, then selecting different chassis modes wont make any difference ECM wise nor damping.
That's what I was thinking.

What I specifically meant in my reply above...is

That's what I was thinking...that a fault probably inhibits the throttle change. (which would explain why I've never noticed a change regardless of mode selection).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There is no need to hack it 'someway' or wonder how it's done. to get rid of message the SUM needs to read a 4c solenoid which is inside the strut housing. been well documented for years now. Obviously the PO was a lazy sumbyatch and did not keep the orig strut solenoids if 05+ but for 04 all you need are resistors

Pennsyltucky, use google to search SS.
I've known for a long time about the fact you can cut the solenoids out of an old set of 4c struts and install them and tie them out of the way. I searched and I found that.

I've known that some people say the 04 can be bypassed with resistors. I searched and I found that. Although most people seemed to conclude that resistors alone do not work and claimed it eventually faulted out again so I had been searching for a used set of 4c struts instead to remove the solenoids and trick the system.

I don't care exactly how the 4c system works overall. I just wanted to know yes or no, if it really affects acceleration response (just wanted confirmation to set up the question that followed it) more specifically if it will or not when the 4c system is faulting out. I didn't see my answers anywhere else despite putting in some legwork before posting this.

This isn't another "how can I bypass this 4c" thread. I got my answer to my question. I rarely post on here because I search first. When I don't find what I'm looking for...I post. Sorry I haven't seen the 5+ threads that answer my specific question.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
selecting different chassis modes wont make any difference ECM wise nor damping.
You sure about that? I notice a hell of a lot more launching torque in advanced when my car is being stupid and throwing the Chassis error due to the SAS.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Maximum engine output (load) is same for all chassis settings. With advanced more load is allowed for less pedal %.
SAS doesnt harm Four-C operation and triggers Anti-skid service required IIRC

·
Registered
654 Posts
How accurate is this claim? SUM is only associated with suspension calibration with accelerometers, nothing to do with ignition timing or throttle response for the vehicle

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
How accurate is this claim? SUM is only associated with suspension calibration with accelerometers, nothing to do with ignition timing or throttle response for the vehicle
For example when a strut is missing signal and you get chassis service text in DIM, then you select modes, but they wont do anything. When I had a problem like that then chassis stiffness was locked somewhere between Comfort and Sport. And it didnt affect throttle mapping until I fixed it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Interesting...
4C is either on or off / 0's and 1's etc not subjective. Advanced mode improves throttle response and even though its zero HP gain it definitely translates into instant-er gratification the moment one's foot hits pedal... The lower throttle sound is subtle but if garaged it's easy to hear. 4C/ ASC only likes it when all traction/suspension/steering modules/signals are working. Shes a binary byatch! Something not working you dont's get no nooky. The End.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
4C is either on or off / 0's and 1's etc not subjective. Advanced mode improves throttle response and even though its zero HP gain it definitely translates into instant-er gratification the moment one's foot hits pedal... The lower throttle sound is subtle but if garaged it's easy to hear. 4C/ ASC only likes it when all traction/suspension/steering modules/signals are working. Shes a binary byatch! Something not working you dont's get no nooky. The End.

Damn good info! Thanks!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Previous owner of my car replaced front 4C struts with standard struts. My "Service chassis settings" notification is always on

I've known for a long time about the fact you can cut the solenoids out of an old set of 4c struts and install them and tie them out of the way. I searched and I found that.
solenoids are only needed for 05+

to hack 4C on any 04 s60r/v70r, the $30 fix is to just get the 4c connector plug + wires and wire harness looming from volvo (15-20) and the proper resistors are at mouser electronics or wherever you get your vishay wirewound 50watt 8ohm resistors (5/ ea) tomkat has great tutorial on this! gl .:beer:

Mouser Part #:
71-RH50-8.0
Manufacturer Part #:
RH0508R000FC02
Manufacturer:
Vishay / Dale
Description:
Wirewound Resistors - Chassis Mount 50watt 8ohm 1%

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok but solenoids are only needed for 05+ and resistors are fastest/ cheapest option to fix 4C on your 04 s60r

Either way, you bought a car without 4c struts or a plug at all? so the easy / cheap fix is just get the 4c connector plug + wires and wire harness looming from volvo (15-20) and the proper resistors are at mouser electronics or wherever you get your vishay wirewound 50watt 8ohm resistors (5/ ea) tomkat has great tutorial on this! glad to help.

Mouser Part #:
71-RH50-8.0
Manufacturer Part #:
RH0508R000FC02
Manufacturer:
Vishay / Dale
Description:
Yeah because I bought the car before I knew what 4C even was. The original owner, she told me it used to have electronic struts but her husband put on "non electronic" struts as a cheaper alternative. That was to explain the dash message. I figured it would be a semi cheap to repair but it wasn't. I knew nothing about the s60r before buying it. Hell I was shopping for a Mustang haha.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok but solenoids are only needed for 05+ and resistors are fastest/ cheapest option to fix 4C on your 04 s60r

Either way, you bought a car without 4c struts or a plug at all? so the easy / cheap fix is just get the 4c connector plug + wires and wire harness looming from volvo (15-20) and the proper resistors are at mouser electronics or wherever you get your vishay wirewound 50watt 8ohm resistors (5/ ea) tomkat has great tutorial on this! glad to help.

Mouser Part #:
71-RH50-8.0
Manufacturer Part #:
RH0508R000FC02
Manufacturer:
Vishay / Dale
Description:
50 watt 8 ohm? Damn I got info that it was 20 watt 8 ohm and I bought some. I'll find the instructions later when I'm about to do this work. Too cold out right now.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also I have a buddy whom I met on this forum, lives nearby and has Vida. He's planning to check to see if there are any other 4C problems causing the message other than the front struts. Hopefully can save me the headache of trying to bypass the 4C if there's way more problems going on.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
My issue with that is a 50w resistor... 50w is a lot. The solenoids are cheap enough to get from someone swapping struts... Or... leave 4C.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My issue with that is a 50w resistor... 50w is a lot. The solenoids are cheap enough to get from someone swapping struts... Or... leave 4C.
Well I was originally going to buy some old struts and snatch the needed parts from them to turn this notification off. Then by the time you factor in shipping them to me it always ends up costing more than it's worth to me for bad struts. I'd just as soon go back to original 4c struts. if only I could find some 4c struts locally being removed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
50w too much? They're not that hot and there's no melting of anything at all. I just wanted to bulletproof everything up front never worry about this again. Bilsteins up front and 4c in back has been perfect since I'm in fun /advanced 99% of the time. Now if I could only find new c1501's on sale! then maybe also get some new tme springs / sway bars and BA BAM. 2016 car budget gone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts