SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after driving my car for a month now, I am disappointed in the ride of the 235/40R18s. I was thinking instead of "plus sizing", i could "minus size" the tires by one, so run 225/45R18s. Has anyone tried this and could it possibly help the wheelwell rubbing issue at full lock. I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks. Mike

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: 45 series tires on 18s? (mrod67)

It will rub more, (from the people that have tried this).<br>I don't know of anyone who has tried the latter

·
Registered
872 Posts

Well, you get a slightly narrower tread, but...<p>A 235/40-18 tire is 25.4" tall.<p>A 225/45-18 tire is 26" tall.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Re: 45 series tires on 18s? (soupandspoons)

a 225/45 will have a higher sidewall than a 235/40. This may help with ride quality a little bit, but it will only be a ~0.30" increase in sidewall height (total of 0.58" increase total tire diameter). You'll also get a slightly decreased tread width, as mentioned, but this can depend on the tread width of the tire. Each tire brand varies.<p>Not sure why you're disappointed in teh ride quality.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>mrod67</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">junk sunny sn3800.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I think we've found the answer: buy some quality tires.<p>I'm sure you've heard this before, but tires are not the place to try and save money. <p>Not to be harsh, but this is a little bit like asking why your car doesn't run well on 87 octane.<p>Cheers,<p>Jeff

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Re: 45 series tires on 18s? (soupandspoons)

issues with speedo as well no?<p>and yea, please put some decent tires on the thing, even if you do plus size or whatever crazyness youre planning.

·
Registered
454 Posts

I am on 245/40-18's by Kumho (ECSTA ASX's). Cheap, hard sidewalls for handling and with the rear strut brace installed from Viva the car is now completely neutral in handling at speed. So when the tires squeal I am on the edge. With real expensive grippy rubber this car would be nasty sick.

·
Registered
68 Posts

What is disappointing about the ride, performance or quality of ride? <p>If you're looking for a softer ride, consider moving to a 17" rim. My ass can tell the difference bigtime when I put on my winter 17" rims. And I run a narrower winter tire than factory too. I bought it narrow for snow performance, but think it helps side-hop as well. <p>Consider, the cost of 17" rims and tires aren't much more than 18" tires.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Re: 45 series tires on 18s? (jackb1)

i agree Jack. I debated over getting 18" wheels for a while but decided I didn't want to sacrifice ride quality. And you're right about the cost of 18" tires, particularly in "odd" sizes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts