SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mechanic replaced the fuel pump last year and that pump died this Spring. While replacing it under warranty, an O-ring, connecting the fuel line to the fuel pump, broke and hours of internet searching was fruitless by the mechanic, myself, and my wife who is Swedish and searched Swedish sites. All the usual sites used in the past had nothing. The mechanic finally created an O-ring to fit by using one that almost worked and a special glue. The mechanics time cost $448 for an O-ring probably smaller than a ring for your little finger. So with only 206,000 km on the odometer, this base model '94 Volvo 850 is destined for the BC Scrap-It program. Very annoying when more energy would be used to produce another car than the 850 would use to go another 5-10 years since it is still in good shape.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Wait. I’m confused. You paid the mechanic for his time to “make” the new ring, but are still scraping the car? Or, the mechanic created one and wants to be paid for it and you’d rather scrap it than pay him/her?

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
^ I am also confused....can't believe there isn't a generic one ring available that will work

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the confusion. The mechanic has been paid. He feels that the "created" O-ring may not last very long, so the Volvo 850 will go through the Scrap-It program in BC as an incentive towards getting a more fuel efficient vehicle which will likely be an electric.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I couldn't believe a generic O-ring could not be found either. Numerous hours were spent searching by my wife and I, and the mechanic without even a nibble of success.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. The mechanic has been paid. He feels that the "created" O-ring may not last very long, so the Volvo 850 will go through the Scrap-It program in BC as an incentive towards getting a more fuel efficient vehicle which will likely be an electric.
I think you're going up the wrong tree here looking for the OE o-ring. Measure the o-ring and look for a generic one. I'd be shocked if something doesn't exist.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you're going up the wrong tree here looking for the OE o-ring. Measure the o-ring and look for a generic one. I'd be shocked if something doesn't exist.
The O-ring was measured and generics were searched. Mechanic thinks there was a change between the '94 base model and the Turbo resulting in the later base models using the Turbo type of O-ring. (no evidence for this)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
IMHO you looked in the wrong places. Seal Connection in San Leandro can match that o-ring and any other that you come across that's hard to find. You need to get out of the auto realm and get into the aircraft/industrial realm for hard to find o-rings and seals.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
IMHO you looked in the wrong places. Seal Connection in San Leandro can match that o-ring and any other that you come across that's hard to find. You need to get out of the auto realm and get into the aircraft/industrial realm for hard to find o-rings and seals.
Yeah that's exactly what I mean by generic. McMaster Carr would probably be a good place to look too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never heard of Seal Connection or thought of the aircraft realm.
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
The other trick is knowing how to measure them and determining if it's metric (likely metric in this case, but you never know) or US measurements. That makes a world of difference in finding what you're looking for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The other trick is knowing how to measure them and determining if it's metric (likely metric in this case, but you never know) or US measurements. That makes a world of difference in finding what you're looking for.
Thanks, DAL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts