SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I'm starting the restoration on a '58 444. Lots of rust in the floorboards and the frame bars R & L will need replacing. Anyone out there who could share pics of this repair? Old threads? I think most of the metal is available.

I plan on keeping this great old car, so I plan on doing this slow and correctly. This is my 6th Volvo and the oldest...but by far the coolest.

Many thanks!

Wayne

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Good luck with the project!!

I don't remember seeing anyone who documented this process with pictures, but I'm sure there will be some great advice to be found here. I think the currently available replacement panels for the floorboards look a little bit different than the original ones, but they fit just as well (ie: flat panels vs. fluted or contoured, etc.). I'm pretty sure you'll be fabricating custom parts for the frame bars, as I've never seen replacement pieces for those. Seeing as this is a unibody car and the frame is attached to the body, you may have to get creative.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We are on the same road,
I have a 58 split window and just starting to restore. My passenger side rear floorboard is rotted (rats were living there and it rotted through from wet acidic urine I think, musta had some beer drinking rats). VP has replacements they are fluted but only the flat section by the photo it doesn't cover the whole cured area. http://212.247.61.152/US/main.aspx?page=article&artno=1001090201 I'd be interested to see photos and old threads as well.
Paul

·
Registered
51 Posts
See my photo album for floor replacement. You are correct, the stock rear floor panel only replace the flat bottom section of the dished area. I needed the whole pan which can be fabricated.
Thanks for those pictures Dean. Looks like a lot of welding. Did you fabricate the dished area on that rear pan?
Thanks again,
Paul

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Did you fabricate the dished area on that rear pan?
This! Do, please, tell more. Sources for any those panels?

I especially like your work in those triangular area below the rear seat. Mine has one side gone, and I dread getting into that job. The trailing arms connect below it, which really complicates things both structurally and making the repair harder.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They were laser cut and rolled, shipped flat. I can send you the contact information for the fellow that made them. I'd rather not post his email address....I will send it via a private message to you both. A metal shrinker/stretcher was invaluable to have for the bits and pieces that i needed to fabricate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Dean,

My 444 needs the same front and rear repairs to the floor. I would love to have the name of the shop where you had the rear floor pans fabricated. That would save a LOT of time!

Thanks for the pictures. I'll post the shots when I start on mine.

Best,

Wayne

1 - 8 of 8 Posts