SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the look of the 444 dash with the round speedometer behind the steering wheel and old fashion gauges and wonder if that might reasonably easily replace my 544 dash?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I think it should bolt in, but you may have an issue if your PV544 is a 12v car. All the gauges in the 444 are obviously 6v. Heating ducts may be a bit different, but nothing that can't be worked around. Finding a 444 dash may be the tricky part, unless you've already got your hands on one.

Most of my stock 444 gauges don't work, so I have a 4 gauge cluster down by the shifter to keep tabs on engine, but I do like the way the stock gauges look on the 444.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
It'll be a challenge to swap for more reasons than voltage. The speedo cable length and drive ratio will be off, and the ammeter will need some creative wiring to work (since the 544 had only an AMP light). The temperature gauge will be an even bigger issue, as it's a completely different unit at both ends, in-dash and in-head. The 444 temp gauges, with an intact Bourdon tube, are quite rare in any case.

Those things said, anything is doable!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I forgot about the Bourdon tube! Good point. Mine was intact and still connected to my B16B, but the sensor must've died. How I wish that worked! My fuel gauge still works, though I had to put a resistor in-line when I did the 12v conversion. A speedo cable would be easy to swap out, btw.

However, physically, it will fit the car.

What about the steering wheel? The 444 differs there, too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The 444 temp gauge bulb - the bit that fits into the head - will fit a B18 or 20 just fine. That might be the simplest part of the proposed swap. The instrument panel is quite different in shape, and won't readily bolt up to the later dash. Oil pressure gauge is simple to connect, and the fuel gauge will be fine with a 12 volt system. I've converted several 6v Volvos to 12v and never used a resistor. Not sure why one would be necessary.

Good luck with it!

Cameron
SwedishRelics
Portland

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
The 444 temp gauge bulb - the bit that fits into the head - will fit a B18 or 20 just fine.
I guess. But my point was more that it's extremely rare to find a 444 temp gauge with a good working Bourdon tube assembly. Treat it gently, if you do have one!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think it should bolt in, but you may have an issue if your PV544 is a 12v car. All the gauges in the 444 are obviously 6v. Heating ducts may be a bit different, but nothing that can't be worked around. Finding a 444 dash may be the tricky part, unless you've already got your hands on one.

Most of my stock 444 gauges don't work, so I have a 4 gauge cluster down by the shifter to keep tabs on engine, but I do like the way the stock gauges look on the 444.
I found some folks @ SEMA who re-do stock instrument panels to look original, but with modern gauges behind the original style faces. I showed them a couple of photos of my 444 cluster, and they said they could update it to 12 neg ground, with a GPS speedo and if I wanted, either a concentric tach needle or an LCD digital readout in a window at the bottom of the speedo, as well as swapping the ammeter for a voltmeter, all while keeping it with original looking faces on the gauges. If anyone is interested, I'll dig out their business card and
post their contact info.
Doug

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
That's pretty cool, but what in tarnation would that cost!?!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts