SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are at 40K miles and yesterday was our first real “issue”. While driving on highway on a pretty hot day (~90 degrees), the air coming out of the vents suddenly stopped. I could hear the fan/blower going in the background but barely any air coming out of the vents. Needless to say, the next 45 minutes in a car with 2 kids and a wife were not pleasurable.
I called my dealership and their next appointment was not till September 5th. The service manager did get on the phone and explained that it could be the “frozen flaps” that are supposed to open when the a/c is turned on to allow the air to come out of the vents. He thought they froze while running a/c and prevented them from opening. Interesting.
He did set up an appointment for the next day (today) but to call if the problem fixes itself.
Sure enough, after 45 mins of the car parked in the hot sun, everything went back to normal. Frustrating.
I guess I’m confused by the whole thing? Is this possible that this part can freeze on a hot day like that and prevent the air from blowing?
I ended up canceling the appointment since they won’t be able to recreate the issue and will just send me on my way. It would have been a big waste of time.
Anyone else run into this issue? Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should mention that the ride home, almost two hours was without a problem with the climate.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Oh yes it can. It happened to both of our XC90s and it seems to be some sort of flaw that has plagued previous gen Volvos (according to my service advisor). Lately we have been fortunate but we found that this typically occurred on long trips.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yes it can. It happened to both of our XC90s and it seems to be some sort of flaw that has plagued previous gen Volvos (according to my service advisor). Lately we have been fortunate but we found that this typically occurred on long trips.
Sheesh. This is my second xc90. The other one was bought back by Volvo due to many issues. I will think twice of buying another one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts