SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was quoted $650 for the 40k maintenance. The maint includes brake fluid flush and all filters. He said the cabin filter was $90+ but it looks like I can get it for closer to $40. Since the dealer has been good to me so far and the car is still under warranty I wanted to have them do the service. This seems like an awful lot and could do everything easily myself except for brake flush. Has anyone had the dealer do this service?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Have an XC90, but I think the services are the same. Oil and filter change, cabin air filter change, engine air filter change, replace brake fluid, and then the usual checks Paid about $530. Still high but I also wanted Sensus updated which will only be updated if I purchased the 40k “package”. Otherwise I’d change air filters and cabin filter myself for sure and have dealer price out other services a la carte.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
It is likely cheaper to just buy everything a la carte. It will definitely be cheaper to do everything yourself and just buy the brake flush. You won't get the software update, but you're still under warranty so you'd get the same update if you said your center screen takes too long to load.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
I was quoted $650 for the 40k maintenance. The maint includes brake fluid flush and all filters. He said the cabin filter was $90+ but it looks like I can get it for closer to $40. Since the dealer has been good to me so far and the car is still under warranty I wanted to have them do the service. This seems like an awful lot and could do everything easily myself except for brake flush. Has anyone had the dealer do this service?
Have an XC90, but I think the services are the same. Oil and filter change, cabin air filter change, engine air filter change, replace brake fluid, and then the usual checks Paid about $530. Still high but I also wanted Sensus updated which will only be updated if I purchased the 40k “package”. Otherwise I’d change air filters and cabin filter myself for sure and have dealer price out other services a la carte.
Get the Volvo VIP Service Plan! Comes out to about $300-$320 each service starting from 40k miles all the way up to a 100k miles. Helps lock in that price and see if you can have your Dealership come close to or beat Steingold Volvo's price. That way you maintain your relationship with your local dealer and get a good deal too.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You can do the brake flush yourself too if you buy a Motive brake systems power bleeder. Very easy to do.

https://www.motiveproducts.com/prod...it-power-bleeders-classic-car-and-marine-kits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
855 Posts
Is there like a list that showing what need to be done at specific mileage? i mean i see a list but its too long and will take you forever to figure out with those pages what you need. i used to drive only american cars before and manual 3x ez to read compare to volvo or my friends Nisan manual . on back of the manual all American cars had straight forward what maintenance and at what mileage need to be done. Volvo 3-4 pages of all items and then you have follow each column to find what you need

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Is there like a list that showing what need to be done at specific mileage? i mean i see a list but its too long and will take you forever to figure out with those pages what you need. i used to drive only american cars before and manual 3x ez to read compare to volvo or my friends Nisan manual . on back of the manual all American cars had straight forward what maintenance and at what mileage need to be done. Volvo 3-4 pages of all items and then you have follow each column to find what you need
I have bookmarked the 4-page maintenance schedule on my phone and also have screenshots saved. Apart from the zooming in to read, pretty handy! It looks pretty straight-forward and easy to understand, to me. With enough time in your hand, you could make your own excel sheet with your own formatting :p

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have bookmarked the 4-page maintenance schedule on my phone and also have screenshots saved. Apart from the zooming in to read, pretty handy! It looks pretty straight-forward and easy to understand, to me. With enough time in your hand, you could make your own excel sheet with your own formatting :p
Yes i did the excel sheet but it was annoying like compare volvo pages to this https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmown...bile/aurora/1998_oldsmobile_aurora_owners.pdf ( if you go to the Maintenance Schedule on the left and scroll down a little you will see how ez to read this. )

·
Registered
81 Posts
Really not that much to do.

I've been changing my engine and cabin air filters every 10k, they say 20k for engine, 40k for cabin.
I let Volvo do anything brake related ($750 an axle).
I have Volvo drain and refill my transmission fluid every 50k.
Gear oils will most likely be changed at 100k.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
It isn't that complicated.

Oil change every 10k
Pollen filter every 20k
Air filter and brake flush every 40k
Spark plugs every 60k
Belts and pulleys at 150k

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to keep the relationship with the dealer due to it still be under warranty. I can do all of the work but never liked doing brakes. I will call around to dealers and see if there is a better price. I do want the latest sensus update. You would think they would do that since it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
316 Posts
It`s relatively easy, but it's a pain in the Ass and will take 3 hours out of you day. If you don`t have all the tools. floor jack, torque wrench. jack stands etc it get`s expensive.
I can do the job in an hr. I do have all of the tools needed (including an impact gun to remove wheel lugs) - you have a good point that lack of equipment could add cost or slow things down.

Driving to the dealer and getting this done, even with an apt. will take as long or longer...

·
Registered
859 Posts
I can do the job in an hr. I do have all of the tools needed (including an impact gun to remove wheel lugs) - you have a good point that lack of equipment could add cost or slow things down.

Driving to the dealer and getting this done, even with an apt. will take as long or longer...

:thumbup: 1 hr or less to do a flush. (I use a homemade power bleeder)
Once you buy the floor jack, stands, impact gun ( used for a hundred other things). It's all free when you do it again the next time for flush, brakes, etc.
I think some people who might say it's a pita are just saying that because they just choose not to do it - and that's ok.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts