SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My over drive only works after I have been driving the car for a good half hour or so, and only if I push the shifter to the right when in 4th gear, when I let it go, it shuts off. Is there a switch in the transmission to let it know its in 4th gear?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well its a volvo 240 with a 4 speed transmission. which is why I posted in the 240 section.. fueling system and ignition system to me seems to be of no relevance to a transmission? Its an 85'

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
You do realize that there are several iterations of the 240s from '75 to '93 with several changes along the way? It's hard for those who are trying to give accurate advice to questions without knowing what year, model, etc.. Now back to the topic, have you looked through the overdrive manual yet? It will give you pretty much all the info you need.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its an '85 245dl Volvo wagon, 4 speed manual transmission fuel injected, 2.3l engine, slammed on its nuts, ball skin beige in color. The link above is the car that George posted. That over drive manual was a good read, but it didnt help with what I was looking for.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
It could be a problem in the wiring for the switch on the shifter. Here's another link that may have some help if you go to the transmission sections:

http://www.k-jet.org/documents/greenbooks/200-series/

I've never had to fix a manual Volvo OD, so other than the above I think the manuals should be more helpful. The only overdrive problem I've had with a manual tranny was back in the mid '60s with an MGB. I had a bugger repairing it so I gave up (Lucas electrics :rolleyes: ) and I just hard wired the switch and didn't use the OD in first or reverse to save the gears. There are on or two lads on TurboBricks who have hard wired their ODs, so maybe a search there might help you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking of hardwiring mine in, but will wait on that. trying to find a known good working relay to test before I drop the money on a new relay.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Did you check the shifter switch and wiring (including all the way to the OD solenoid)? From what you mentioned in your first post I think that's probably the first thing to check. Other than that I think you may have better luck finding help at TurboBricks and Brickboard as there's more lads there who could help you. Also, if I get a bit of time I'll check my Bentley manual to see it there's a fault tracing section for the gearbox/solenoid. BTW, how did your clutch work go; did you need to get the flywheel resurfaced?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked power at the switch, it has good 12v, push the button and the brown wire at the relay gets the 12v switch power until I release the button. The relay is right next to the heater, which is why i am thinking the relay is bad, as it works after the heat has been on for a while. Clutch went good. I am used to doing VW clutch jobs, and I can lift those transmissions over by head and install them with one person, what a PITA the volvo transmission is. Didnt get the flywheel resurfaced as there was no damage to it. Clutch works great now besides the crappy clutch cable i have in there that is stretched way to much. I had to make a spacer to make it work.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
If you don't have a Bentley manual I strongly suggest that you get one, or at least borrow one if you can. I did a quick look through mine and here's some info I found which may be useful, and the Bentley page numbers:
- The O/D gets power from fuse #11 (12 amp), and it may be a good idea to switch in a new good quality one as older/cheap fuses can go intermittent under load (page 390-2).
- The O/D relay ground is one of the top front console grounds, and it may be a good idea to check and clean it (page 390-5 Fig. 7).
- The O/D solenoid is grounded to the case, so you could remove it and clean up the solenoid and case mating surfaces to make sure you have a good ground there (page 390-27 #111 in square E5 of wiring diagram ).
- The O/D model data plate is on the lower part of the case if you need that info (page 400-4).
- There is a troubleshooting list in the manual. It's a bit too long to type it in manually so your best choice is to get your hands on a Bentley (pages 400-8&9 Table B).

Sifting through some other internet stuff I found a page on moving the O/D relay for better access (and maybe a cooler place) here:

http://volvo2.homestead.com/MoveOD.html

I'll let you know if I dig up anything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts