SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 3 months of driving a new Inscription, I can say that the engine is a little under powered. Especially from a stand still.
I don't push the car at all, I hardly go over 3k RPM. I am comparing it to a regular 6 cylinder Japanese SUV. I can feel the engine not responding right away on take off. I thin Volvo should have had a 6 cylinder across the board without the additional super and turbo charged would have been better option. They could add a turbo charge for the Inscription model and T8.
but for a 6k pounds SUV, I think 4 cylinder is too small. Also the MPG would not be that much different maybe 18MPG versus 19MPG

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Agree. At speed on the highway I can tell the engine is working hard to get up to speed. In comparison my X3 with the inline 6 turbo is effortless at any speed.

T5 - 2.0 turbo
T6 - 3.0 turbo
T6 R Design - 3.0 Turbo Polestar

·
Registered
664 Posts
The 4cyl thing doesn’t bother me at all. My T6 XC90 Inscription hauled the mail just fine. Some folks, it’s a deal breaker. I find plenty of power for over taking and so forth. In “eco” mode, it is pitiful, I do find. In comfort or dynamic, it’s not bad at all. Add polestar and it should be even better. If you think about it, what does the the V6 Q7 make? Like 330hp? That’s not far from the T6 @ 316? Maybe the V6 in the Q7 makes more torque, which is what you feel? Can’t confirm?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I think you should have bought a T8.
+1
The T8 is insane. Tons o' power when you need it, efficiency when you don't. Damn beautiful thinking!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you like your T8, but that was not the point of the thread. The point is that the 4 cyl is under-power. Can you imagine your T8 with a 6 cyl.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Can you imagine your T8 with a 6 cyl.
Yep, the 4 cylinder turbocharged + supercharged 316hp(!) is good enough for hypermilin' me - my XC90 2.5 ton luxury minivan is a family hauler / garbage / Xmas tree / foldable compound miter saw / etc barge. I have no delusions of a two-story sports car or track racing this beast. Any gas quickness and the electric motor is just Swedish meatball gravy.
Having driven like a madman in my idiot days I've done the math and also come to the realization that the added acceleration/speed and 20 second (local driving) or 5 minute (highway driving) time savings isn't worth the risk (insurance, injury, repair time, police, stress, etc). Thankfully I haven't gotten into an accident to come to this conclusion! :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
The T6 engine works very well in Comfort, Dynamics or even better with Polestar. Its graph is very impressive, with a linear power delivery:

Audi V6 3.0T has more power and torque, but a less linear delivery:

I4 are here to stay. There is a lot of stigma in North America because we are spoiled with cheap gas, but it is certainly the way the market is going before EVs are everywhere.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All good on paper, however in reality, I am comparing with multiple 6 cyl SUV of the same size, 10-15 years older,
Which seems to have more power(at least that I can feel maybe more torque).
Not saying that the 4 cyl is a bad engine, but saying that the difference in mileage between 4 and 6 would be very minimal.
Why stress the 4 cyl engine when you can have a natural aspirated 6 cyl across the board. I agree it is probably due to the prices of gas and saving 1 mile per gallon is a big deal.

The T6 engine works very well in Comfort, Dynamics or even better with Polestar. Its graph is very impressive, with a linear power delivery:

Audi V6 3.0T has more power and torque, but a less linear delivery:

I4 are here to stay. There is a lot of stigma in North America because we are spoiled with cheap gas, but it is certainly the way the market is going before EVs are everywhere.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Maybe it's because this is the first forced-induction car I've ever owned, or maybe it's just perception, but aside from sometimes non-linear power delivery (i.e. when the boost kicks in it can get a little jerky), I've never felt my T6 was lacking power. If anything, it's got MORE power when I need it than most of the other stuff I've driven. I underline that part because I have driven many cars with higher peak HP/Torque, but this one has more of that available across the RPM band due to the FI. When I first was looking at the XC90, it was this perceived lack of power that had me worried - I just didn't see how a 316(?)hp 4-cyl could move a big 7-seater SUV in the way I wanted. I've been more than happy with it personally. I almost never have to floor it. It moves when I need it to.

Anybody trying to compare/comment on performance when in Eco is nuts too - Eco intentionally deadens the gas pedal and basically forces more gradual acceleration. That's why it's "ECO." That's one of the biggest ways it saves gas. Gas pedal "dynamics" can have a major impact on how a car feels - and we all agree have ZERO impact on HP/Torque. On my Cayman, I installed an after-market add-on that basically makes your gas pedal more sensitive - as far as the impact on the FEELING of performance, it had a bigger impact than the cat-back, headers, intake, pulley, or tune that I have on it - and it's 100% mental.

I bought my car sans Polestar, but did add it, more for the shift point smoothing than anything - worthwhile addition, but I never thought it needed more power. Dynamic Mode in Polestar is too much for me to drive with most of the time honestly. I only use it in NYC and places where I have to be a little quicker off the line to change lanes and such. Comfort is plenty.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have a T5 and find it more than adequate for everyday driving with the caveat that i don’t haul a boat or anything so I can’t comment on that. And, FTR, Ive owned a lot of sporty cars in my day so its not like I don’t ever want to drive fast. Perhaps its just that I have different expectations for a 6000lb SUV. It could indeed be a little quieter but my issue with that has more to do with road noice than engine noise.

So in short, I test drove the T5, found it to be fine for my purposes and it hasn’t disappointed me. JMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Why stress the 4 cyl engine when you can have a natural aspirated 6 cyl across the board. I agree it is probably due to the prices of gas and saving 1 mile per gallon is a big deal.
How do you know that forced induction on the Drive-e 4 cylinder engine is stressing it? The current 2.0L T6 is 35hp powerful than my current 3.0L T6.

I never want another car that doesn't have forced induction. I don't want to be sucking air on long climbs when I can just effortlessly just produce enough boost.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So are you saying that a 4 cyl induced and turbo charged is as stressed as a regular 6 cyl. I don't think so.
That was the whole point of the thread. why not just stick with a 6cyl and be done with it.

How do you know that forced induction on the Drive-e 4 cylinder engine is stressing it? The current 2.0L T6 is 35hp powerful than my current 3.0L T6.

I never want another car that doesn't have forced induction. I don't want to be sucking air on long climbs when I can just effortlessly just produce enough boost.

·
Registered
13,459 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Glad you like your T8, but that was not the point of the thread. The point is that the 4 cyl is under-power. Can you imagine your T8 with a 6 cyl.
The point of the thread is you feel your XC90 is underpowered. Buying a T8 would have fixed that. I am delighted with the power of my T8. And with 30+ mpg when the battery shows no electric range. The T8 four-cylinder is not underpowered. It doesn't need a six.

If you're unhappy with yours, sell it and stop whining. It was your choice to buy it. No one else to blame.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hotspur: you are not worth replying to, but I did anyway.. now go away...

The point of the thread is you feel your XC90 is underpowered. Buying a T8 would have fixed that. I am delighted with the power of my T8. And with 30+ mpg when the battery shows no electric range. The T8 four-cylinder is not underpowered. It doesn't need a six.

If you're unhappy with yours, sell it and stop whining. It was your choice to buy it. No one else to blame.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I don't push the car at all, I hardly go over 3k RPM.
In this context, I think I've experienced some occasion that feels that way. But other times, it seems responsive from standstill. This is on a non polestar T6, mostly in comfort or eco mode. My guess is that the transmission + engine rpm map sometimes get into a "pause" situation, which is probably why the polestar tune helps quit a bit.

I bet if manual transmission was offered, you can adjust shift points accordingly, and the engine would be more than sufficient.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
We have a T5 non-Polestar. Silent and smooth, plenty of power for the way we use the car.
Most ofen the engine doesn't run (much) above 2000 RPM, in other words at less than half of the available power.
We find it more than quick enough, also from standstill, and the number of cylinders irrelevant.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts