SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced my passenger side front strut since it was blown. Took my VR to my local Indy, he attempts to calibrate the system and once the car is shut off and turned back on the error message comes back instantly. The error message he is getting in diagnostics is for the passenger front strut being bad.

I can't get my Vida/Dice to work on my laptop, so I'm at a loss personally.

:(

·
Registered
290 Posts
Is he doing a SUM calibration through vida? I am not sure if it will work the same using another system to calibrate. Or it might just work until the next restart like you said it did.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If any suspension work is done on the car a sum calibration is needed. So if you have vida/dice I would definitely try to get that working. I doubt any generic software will do the same as vida. as long as all the connections were put back correctly the calibration should fix the problem.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Does he know you have to click on that VCT2000 box? It's really not intuitive, but you have to click on that box and it will run the SUM calibration.

What is the specific error message in VIDA?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He did not give me that info.

I think I'm going to try and get vida working on my laptop so I don't have to go back and forth too much with the Indy and become a bit more self sufficient. When I get Vida working I will post back up.

Thank you all for your help, this is really one of the better car forums I've ever joined.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Reading a bit more carefully, did you install the new strut yourself? If so, any Active Chassis messages on the dash should go away immediately upon restart if it was the strut causing the message (SUM Calibration just ensures the learned behavior of the blown strut is not carried over to the new strut). Usually, a "blown" strut will not cause one of these messages unless the wiring from the strut is damaged. That message is usually related to a 4C sensor or communication between modules OR the strut wiring itself. Only rarely will the solenoid in the strut be defective or fail.

Getting VIDA is really key to troubleshooting this on your own. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
If you need help with VIDA let me know... I've installed it a few times.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I had to lift the back of my VR about a 1/2" in order to calibrate SUM. It didn't like the level sensor position.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may have left out one key detail in my initial post.

While replacing the strut I found the wiring to the accelerometer damaged from rubbing the axle. I repaired the wiring, but the accelerometer may have been damaged from wires being open or crossed.

The laptop I tried to install Vida on only had 400GB of RAM which is why I think install failed. That or my laptop having an encrypted desktop is keeping Vida from installing properly.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You mean 400 GB on the HDD? RAM doesn't usually get higher than 64 GB. Anyway, if you have 400 GB of free space, you are way more than good to go. But if you only have 400 MB, you need to free up space or buy another HDD (hard drive).

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk

·
Registered
869 Posts
If I recall, minimum requirements to install are something like 2.75gb RAM and ~25-30gb free disk space, even though it'll run on half that.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
You can modify the ini install files to accept a install on 1GB of RAM and then it will install. I suggest at least 2GB of Usable RAM. I found where to change the files by google search. It may have been a post on this site about installing vida with less than recommend ram.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you need help with VIDA let me know... I've installed it a few times.
Thank you! I've tried installation several times and always get some stupid error. I'll post up details soon so that hopefully you or someone can help me.

You mean 400 GB on the HDD? RAM doesn't usually get higher than 64 GB. Anyway, if you have 400 GB of free space, you are way more than good to go. But if you only have 400 MB, you need to free up space or buy another HDD (hard drive).

***Correction, I meant 4GB of RAM*** Sorry.

My laptop only has 4GB of ram and I read somewhere on the forum that Vida requires 5GB of RAM for install.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Which codes are thrown from vida that states for strut to be shot-dead? Is there any?

I've bought myself an S60R three weeks ago and vida throws out SUM-0135 Shock absorber solenoid, rear left side Current too low - does that say any of the sensor might be dead or the strut itself being dead? Voltage through vida is 0 when tested individualy...al other three are OK with cca 0.5 as should be...

Thanx and best regards,
Jure

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
4 should be doable

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I had it running on 500MB of RAM...it was slow as molasses, but it worked.

The wiring being damaged usually won't damage an accelerometer, but you never know. I would suspect the repaired wiring might be causing issues. Lack of communication with an accelerometer definitely triggers the Active Chassis messages on the dash.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
All throughout the R various sensors are powered in groups by various power circuits. When one sensor has its power supply grounded it will also knock out a few other sensors when such things happen for that reason. May not be your case, but if you see groups of sensors in the same region failing its a good sign you may have some frayed wiring going to the struts or sensors. Happens a lot on here when shops work on the related systems and forget to properly secure the wires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts