SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering that a roof storage box can be fitted for extra luggage capacity, Volvo should have put the 3rd row seats on rails to enable them to slide backwards into the boot space to create space for 3rd row leg room.

Also, Volvo should have increased 2nd row seats recline angle for a more relaxed ride in the 2nd row, considering XC90 is a large family car...

But these are my wild thoughts as I felt sorry carrying adults in the 3rd row for 8hours drive

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Considering that a roof storage box can be fitted for extra luggage capacity, Volvo should have put the 3rd row seats on rails to enable them to slide backwards into the boot space to create space for 3rd row leg room.

Also, Volvo should have increased 2nd row seats recline angle for a more relaxed ride in the 2nd row, considering XC90 is a large family car...

But these are my wild thoughts as I felt sorry carrying adults in the 3rd row for 8hours drive

Any way you could "calibrate" them by first borrowing another 6-7 seater with less 2nd + 3rd row legroom, drive for half an hour, and then move to the xc90? :)

As for the 3rd row rails, some of the things behind it, including the floorboard cover, may prevent that from happening.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Or maybe if the 3rd row was configurable, allow for the seat to also point backwards towards the boot, if so required, so passengers could rest their legs on the boot floor to stretch them.

The Merc Viano (MPV) comes to mind about rear facing seats as an example, though in the Merc, it's the 2nd row, whereas for the Volvo, the 3rd row seats be configurable.

Maybe next time there will be XC90/100 long wheel base version

·
Registered
223 Posts
What it should have is power folding 3rd row and maybe 2nd row. Also throw in power tilt/telescoping steering.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Or maybe if the 3rd row was configurable, allow for the seat to also point backwards towards the boot, if so required, so passengers could rest their legs on the boot floor to stretch them.

The Merc Viano (MPV) comes to mind about rear facing seats as an example, though in the Merc, it's the 2nd row, whereas for the Volvo, the 3rd row seats be configurable.

Long wheelbase would be more likely to accommodate legroom, imho, than pointing the 3rd row backwards. The space savings of having the legs for 3rd row occupants in the cargo area may not make up the loss from the interfering reclining angle of the 2nd & 3rd rows back-to-back.

I thought there were older boxy Volvo wagons that had optional rearward facing 3rd row seats. I imagine the option became extinct partially due to comfort issues (e.g. not able to bend the knee) and crash safety issues.

What it should have is power folding 3rd row and maybe 2nd row. Also throw in power tilt/telescoping steering.
I agree, but the challenge is that the SPA platform was designed quite a while ago, where these things are not that common. Compared to vehicles whose platform only launched this year, yes, it seems like a shortcoming.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

A reason Volvo did away with trundle seats years ago was safety. As for 3rd row space, you could have the 2nd row slide forward some. We’ve been able to tune comfort by sliding the 2nd row forward a bit and grandparents have been comfortable sitting in the way back with kids. Plus sliding the 3rd row back more puts them at risk of being too close the rear tailgate glass - again a safety consideration. When we had shopped options years ago, we noticed the Germans had no issue with having the 3rd row headrest touch the rear glass :facepalm:

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
XC100 will have more comfortable 3rd row, I bet. :)
Yes, seems in plan, to compete with X7 and Q8.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
You can adjust the recline angle of the 2nd row seats...I think the 2nd position is pretty decent.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Isn't the Q8 Audi's version of the SUV Coupe?
It is indeed with no third row.
But it’s really fast and has a great lunch
Wish that Volvo would somehow figure out a way to increase torque and the output ,specially at kick-down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
It is indeed with no third row.
But it’s really fast and has a great lunch
Wish that Volvo would somehow figure out a way to increase torque and the output ,specially at kick-down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 2.0 i4 with supercharger and turbo is a great engine but just can't match a V6 or i6 that is boosted.

But when I put the XC90 into Dynamic, it takes off!!!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
XC100 will have more comfortable 3rd row, I bet. :)
Yes, seems in plan, to compete with X7 and Q8.
Really? Where did you get that info and when is it happening lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts