SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been noticing a regular stall in my 3rd-4th gear shift. (2005 S60R GT5)

Tested it today while actually watching my tach:

It ran up to 4000RPM (hitting it hard getting on the freeway) then stalled (not transmission slip) from 4000rpm to 3800rpm momentarily... and then went back to 4000RPM before shifting into 4th.

Did it again on the street: ran up to 3500RPM in 3rd, stalled back to 33-3400rpm, then back up to 3500RPM and shifted up to 4th.

Any clues? Is it a boost issue?

No CEL's or warning lights.

Thanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will, but like I said, it doesn't feel like it's transmission related.

It doesn't downshift into 2nd really quick, or slip, or anything like that. It feels like I let off the throttle a little bit (but I didn't) & then stepped on it again. The engine doesn't cut out like it's missing or hitting a rev limiter. It just slows down a couple hundred RPMS very smoothly, & picks right back up between 3rd & 4th. It's weird.

·
Registered
416 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Was it like hitting a brick wall? Or did the RPMS just drop?

If it was like hitting a wall, then it's likely your FPS

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry guys, been busy with work.

No, it's not like hitting a brick wall. The RPMs just taper off, kind of like I just eased up a bit on the pedal. Not a sudden drop in RPM. I'll check that servo, and the FPS.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
"Usually don't" but still could, I'd rather try a 1 hour job that costs $20, then dig in the fuel tank and replace an even more expensive fuel pump that has been one option above. Not saying that it might not be what someone else is offering, From what I'm reading by the context I gathered that it could be that issue seeing it matches what the item description states in the listing on IPD's page, it was the first thing I thought of when reading his original post.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
"Usually don't" but still could, I'd rather try a 1 hour job that costs $20, then dig in the fuel tank and replace an even more expensive fuel pump that has been one option above. Not saying that it might not be what someone else is offering, From what I'm reading by the context I gathered that it could be that issue seeing it matches what the item description states in the listing on IPD's page, it was the first thing I thought of when reading his original post.
Depending on his skill level, most the installs on the review page seem to suggestion an install time of 5hrs lol but a cheap fix if that is his problem none the less :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd say I'm a upper-mid-level mechanic. Give me a diagram & I can get myself through most difficult jobs in a weekend (unless it's an oil change requiring a special canister wrench! LOL)

Anyways, I called my local dealership to see what the cost was to check & update my software. He asked me how many people drive the car. I said it's mostly me, but my wife does drive it from time to time, usually running errands around town when I work @ home. He said it could just be the transmission trying to learn 2 different driver's styles. Didn't think about that. Anyways, $170 or less to check the software, so I think I'll do that right after I do the B4 servo cover. IPD said you should get the software updated in conjunction with doing the servo cover, so I'll take their advice. I need to get a DICE tool & software within the next couple of months so I can at least start diagnosing & keeping an eye on things.

I'm already getting behind on maintenance: Need new front pass. strut (might as well do the driver's side too), need to flush the trans fluid (dealer questioned the Mobil 3309 I asked him about... makes me worry now), need to do the timing belt, need to do this software & servo cover thing, and need to do a 4-corner brake & rotor job. I think I just spent about $2000 writing that last sentence! LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts