SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was informed that the modem in my 2016 XC60 has G3 modem which will be discontinued with 4G modem in upgraded VOC. That means I need to have modem in my car upgraded to handle 4G. The deleships in USA does not have any idea when the modem upgrade will be available and it's cost. My VOC subscription expires in Sep. 2021 and I do want to renew. I would appreciate thoughts on the following.
  • Should I go ahead and renew before Sep. 2021 even if the 3G modem in my vehicle may not support it?
  • Can wait till the modem upgrade is available at dealership for VOC renewal?
Thank you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
AT&T / OC will not renew your subscription if you try by going to the website and you’ll get a message saying 3G in the US has been EOL’d. My dealer doesn’t have a timeline either when the new 4G upgrade will be available. Unfortunately my feeling is Volvo won’t have a solution. I could be wrong but they’re definitely not putting it is priority let’s just say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what it seems unfortunately Volvo does not care. I guess I was wrong thinking that Volvo cares.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
That is what it seems unfortunately Volvo does not care. I guess I was wrong thinking that Volvo cares.
This has been covered at greaaaaaaaat length in other forums and discussions. You my call call Volvo Customer Care for a prorated renewal since the web site won’t allow it. Volvo had officially said there will be a path to upgrade to 4G and they are finalizing all the details. The specifics of the program like who pays what and the overall cost have not yet been disclosed....but the announcement will be sooner rather than later.
Give Volvo a little credit here....other brands have this same issue and haven’t said a word about it yet, while other brands like Audi have abandoned those 3G cars with no upgrade option ever to be released. Yes Volvo cars and will soon have a solution for you. I’m sure customer care can tell you all about it....just call them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My 2015 BMW X1 was 3G and BMW upgraded the modem for FREE ... not to say Volvo will too but it would be nice if they did.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Here is the main thread that discusses the 3G / 4G upgrade. The solution will vary based on model and year, if available.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has been covered at greaaaaaaaat length in other forums and discussions. You my call call Volvo Customer Care for a prorated renewal since the web site won’t allow it. Volvo had officially said there will be a path to upgrade to 4G and they are finalizing all the details. The specifics of the program like who pays what and the overall cost have not yet been disclosed....but the announcement will be sooner rather than later.
Give Volvo a little credit here....other brands have this same issue and haven’t said a word about it yet, while other brands like Audi have abandoned those 3G cars with no upgrade option ever to be released. Yes Volvo cars and will soon have a solution for you. I’m sure customer care can tell you all about it....just call them.
Did call Customer Care-they answered-"we have no idea". They should have figured this out BEFORE it became a problem. My 4th & last Volvo.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Did call Customer Care-they answered-"we have no idea". They should have figured this out BEFORE it became a problem. My 4th & last Volvo.
Wow, if that's all it takes to leave a brand..... Perhaps you should call VW, Audi, Lexus and some of the other manufacturers with this EXACT same situation. I don't think you will like their answers (among other brand's answers either). Literally Audi says "we don't care, you will never have an upgrade path, regardless of how much you would be willing to pay". There is SO much behind the scenes here with Federal Communications and cellular companies....saying "they should have done this sooner" is really not even a fair assessment of the situation. But if that makes you leave the brand, I guess no one is stopping you. Just seems like an overreaction when literally a BOATLOAD of other brands are telling their owners the EXACT same thing....."We don't have a clue".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts