SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
381 - 400 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I'm sure it will be plug and play, but it will likely still require a Volvo visit for Volvo techs to install for 99% of owners. I was simply trying to put into context what the hardware cost could be. There are probably more John Deere tractors/equipment upgraded than Volvo ever will, but it's not really expensive.

Also to put it into perspective, John Deere has been upgraded these modems in droves now for 2 years, but currently.....there has been no available parts inventory for the new 4G modems for months, and Deere has no estimated time frame announced as to when they will be available. John Deere also has a sever shortage of touch screens, satellite receivers and cameras. Currently you can buy a $500,000 piece of equipment from Deere and it doesn't include some features, instead selling them missing components and promising upgrades/retrofits in the future. Volvo is not alone in having their hands tied at just how quickly they can roll out new tech like a 4G upgrade. Hard to make an official announcement to its customers when the situation from suppliers changes by the day. It's a sucky time to be a manufacturer.
I'm sure it will be plug and play
I'd guess (could be wrong) you'd need a brand new board / modem is required. Meaning this isn't as simple as plug in play where a card on the old board is switched out from a 3g to 4g modem.

but it will likely still require a Volvo visit for Volvo techs to install for 99% of owners. I was simply trying to put into context what the hardware cost could be. There are probably more John Deere tractors/equipment upgraded than Volvo ever will, but it's not really expensive.
Bulk rollout affects cost. For example Ordering 500,000 units versus 50,000 definitely impacts pricing per unit. And thus consumer cost.

I am not sure that even the one person could undertake this endeavor considering that there is likely to be software updates following the 4G modem upgrade.

Also to put it into perspective, John Deere has been upgraded these modems in droves now for 2 years, but currently.....there has been no available parts inventory for the new 4G modems for months, and Deere has no estimated time frame announced as to when they will be available. John Deere also has a sever shortage of touch screens, satellite receivers and cameras. Currently you can buy a $500,000 piece of equipment from Deere and it doesn't include some features, instead selling them missing components and promising upgrades/retrofits in the future. Volvo is not alone in having their hands tied at just how quickly they can roll out new tech like a 4G upgrade. Hard to make an official announcement to its customers when the situation from suppliers changes by the day. It's a sucky time to be a manufacturer.

Of course Volvo is not the only one affected because as you stated, other companies rely upon 3g technology. However, companies like AT&T seem unswayed by delaying the phase-out in February.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I'd guess (could be wrong) you'd need a brand new board / modem is required. Meaning this isn't as simple as plug in play where a card on the old board is switched out from a 3g to 4g modem.
The modem is a self-contained unit, as show in the Volvo parts catalogue. It is held by a bracket and simply has wiring harnesses and antenna wires plugged into it. It is a "plug and play" design, just like John Deere. Bellow is a photo of the Deere unit just for fun. As you would expect the design is more robust because of the tougher environment it must live in compared to a car. Hopefully the labor time to swap out will be minimal.
Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Computer hardware Electronic engineering

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was able to renew to March 8 so if ATT doesn't shut down, then I assume I will continue to have functionality until then... Fantasy: wouldn't it be great if the new modems were Verizon instead?

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
The modem is a self-contained unit, as show in the Volvo parts catalogue. It is held by a bracket and simply has wiring harnesses and antenna wires plugged into it. It is a "plug and play" design, just like John Deere. Bellow is a photo of the Deere unit just for fun. As you would expect the design is more robust because of the tougher environment it must live in compared to a car. Hopefully the labor time to swap out will be minimal. View attachment 143010
Surmising the modem can be easily swapped, as a whole unit, it still isn't plug and play. It'll most likely require software to integrate with the existing system. Meaning even if you were able to take out and replace the modem, the dealer still needs to be involved at an X book hours.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Surmising the modem can be easily swapped, as a whole unit, it still isn't plug and play. It'll most likely require software to integrate with the existing system. Meaning even if you were able to take out and replace the modem, the dealer still needs to be involved at an X book hours.
It’s possible the modem is pre-loaded with software and would need no update. John Deere has over 50 controllers on a machine and the modem swap doesn’t need a software upgrade…the modem is all self contained separate from other systems. So it’s feasible Volvo could be the same, but I don’t know. Even if it did a subsidized cost from Volvo on labor for a single software update is likely, and even is a relatively minor expense at full cost. Just have to see.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
It’s possible the modem is pre-loaded with software and would need no update. John Deere has over 50 controllers on a machine and the modem swap doesn’t need a software upgrade…the modem is all self contained separate from other systems. So it’s feasible Volvo could be the same, but I don’t know. Even if it did a subsidized cost from Volvo on labor for a single software update is likely, and even is a relatively minor expense at full cost. Just have to see.
A lot of what if variables. I preseume the modem is swapped out by removing glove box door? If not, where is it housed?

Also, from another thread on here, someone attempted to take a 4g modem from a later p3 and swap out 3g. Definitely required software update and because the rom wasn't reflashable, it was tied to the other vehicle's vin.

Not sure how it'll work with the official part.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello everyone.

I'm owner of First Edition of XC90. 3G modem equipped. I think I found acceptable workaround that offers similar functionality to volvo app. I have been using it since October of 2021. My subscription to Volvo service expired in November of 2021.

Disclaimer. I'm not affiliated with product linked bellow. No kickbacks of any sort.

It's DYI installation, took me 15 minutes to do. Website linked bellow has good instructions on how to do it. Unlike instructions I used wire splicers purchased on amazon. Power cable is thicker, I used bigger splicer to connect power.

Kit is $250
Remote starter and Compustar Drone 4G x1 LTE unit.
Drone provides 4g connectivity and App for you phone. It requires 4g subscription. 1year is 120$first 30 days are free.

This is remote starter you need to buy make sure you add Compustar drone modem for 100

Plicers I used

Drone app provides you with remote start/stop. Unlock/Lock doors. You can also gps track your car at any time.

App is not as smooth as Volvo, but its better than nothing.

My experience have been very positive. I started using it before my subscription expired. Droid app has very similar feature set as volvo app.
I'm android user, Drone app has widget that can do start/stop and lock/unlock. You can add extra users to your account for the rest of your household.

Car will preheat/cool itself if you do remote start. If you have less than 50 gallons it will not start. Those things are part of cars interface, not volvo app service like I thought. Small bonus is that module allows you to start your car from keyfob. Press lock 3x. You have to be within range of your fob. Car would act same way as if you started it from app.

Only problem I noticed - app does not always recognize lock/unlock status of your doors. Some of the features listed in the app do not work for xc90 (battery charge, temperature, keylocker).

I do not know how trustworthy the company is behind Drone. How long they will keep this service, if they are hacker proof, what they do with gps data etc. Keep those things in mind before you purchase.

I hope volvo will keep its word and release official version of 4g modem for our early production models. In meantime I plan to use Drone service.

Link to Play store and google app store:

·
Registered
17 Posts
A lot of what if variables. I preseume the modem is swapped out by removing glove box door? If not, where is it housed?

Also, from another thread on here, someone attempted to take a 4g modem from a later p3 and swap out 3g. Definitely required software update and because the rom wasn't reflashable, it was tied to the other vehicle's vin.

Not sure how it'll work with the official part.
I spoke to dealer, module that is responsible for connectivity has VIN number of the car. Its not a simple modem swap. It needs to be programmed for each car. Dealer did not want to even try.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I spoke to dealer, module that is responsible for connectivity has VIN number of the car. Its not a simple modem swap. It needs to be programmed for each car. Dealer did not want to even try.
Yes I stated modem / module is tied to vin above. Thus it will need software to integrate to each specific vehicle.

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
797 Posts
On the non SPA cars, it's a single equipment module and then the associated programming time. The programming DOES burn the VIN into the modem, and it also activates the SIM card, etc. So it has to be done w/ VIDA, but could certainly be done at home if you had the stuff.

The SPA cars, will be slightly different. New hardware module as well as a new wiring harness. Physical installation is slightly more of a PITA. but same rules apply re: burning the VIN, activating SIM, etc.

Reactions: ktbos

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
On the non SPA cars, it's a single equipment module and then the associated programming time. The programming DOES burn the VIN into the modem, and it also activates the SIM card, etc. So it has to be done w/ VIDA, but could certainly be done at home if you had the stuff.

The SPA cars, will be slightly different. New hardware module as well as a new wiring harness. Physical installation is slightly more of a PITA. but same rules apply re: burning the VIN, activating SIM, etc.
Why doesn't Volvo use Eeprom vs Rom in the modem? To prevent people from part swapping?

·
797 Posts
Why doesn't Volvo use Eeprom vs Rom in the modem? To prevent people from part swapping?
Honestly, not sure. I think it's annoying since we do replace hardware that isn't faulty, as part of troubleshooting issues. But, I do expect it's a security thing. The VIN is the do-all-end-all, so I can get why it's one time use.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
If I had to guess, some mix of not making it easy to DIY it and security.
I think a cellular signal can be tracked without too much effort. Likely security ensures one modem for one car. Same for online registration for data from the car transmitted that is vin specific. Hacked access to a car via the modem through the use of Sensus apps would be much more secure if the vin and modem serial number are locked together. The down side is replacement hoops to jump through.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My subscription will be expired in few days. Anyone knows the exact subscription cut off day? I know it depends on ATT for the App to work. App has been allowing 2 months renewal pro rated extension since last December. The pro rated price drops everyday and appears calculated from the current day, rather than the actual App expiration date. A call to Volvo support doesn’t help.

·
797 Posts
My subscription will be expired in few days. Anyone knows the exact subscription cut off day? I know it depends on ATT for the App to work. App has been allowing 2 months renewal pro rated extension since last December. The pro rated price drops everyday and appears calculated from the current day, rather than the actual App expiration date. A call to Volvo support doesn’t help.
Pm me your vin

·
Registered
2005 V70, 2016 V60
388 Posts
Mine just expired and it let me renew or 2 or 3 months.

381 - 400 of 451 Posts