·
Registered
8,884 Posts
You didn't know? It's a running joke

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
797 Posts
Yeah, all I know is it's going back and forth internally... not the idea of an upgrade, but what the whole offer consists of. (Once you say it, can't go back). I've actually not been active on purpose given I knew I would be opening myself up to a flame war. Target is still "soon" - take it with a grain of salt if you want.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Yeah, all I know is it's going back and forth internally... not the idea of an upgrade, but what the whole offer consists of. (Once you say it, can't go back). I've actually not been active on purpose given I knew I would be opening myself up to a flame war. Target is still "soon" - take it with a grain of salt if you want.
It's really shameful and pitty the way you have been treated on this topic. Thank you for your input. I never ceased to be amazed how horrible people can treat others behind a keyboard.

·
Registered
2017 XC60 T5 Inscription
218 Posts
We appreciate it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
NEWS regarding the Volvo on call app renewal (3G modems - USA). You can now renew for a prorated subscription extension. It allows you to renew for two months (I just did it). It was not allowing for renewal before.

One way to have the service working till At&t gets rid of the 3g. That buys Volvo time to have the parts ready to upgrade the modems. They're expecting them to arrive first quarter of 2022 according to Volvo USA customer service few days ago.

·
Registered
956 Posts
NEWS regarding the Volvo on call app renewal (3G modems - USA). You can now renew for a prorated subscription extension. It allows you to renew for two months (I just did it). It was not allowing for renewal before.

One way to have the service working till At&t gets rid of the 3g. That buys Volvo time to have the parts ready to upgrade the modems. They're expecting them to arrive first quarter of 2022 according to Volvo USA customer service few days ago.
Thanks for the info but doesn't work for me most likely because my subscription ending in 44 days.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Can you explain how you don’t have an option to renew? Isn’t that what Volvo just changed to allow for everyone ?
This a question for VOC people.

·
797 Posts
Can you explain how you don’t have an option to renew? Isn’t that what Volvo just changed to allow for everyone ?
More than likely, their expiration is past the time available to renew. It won't let you renew past the pre-set sunset date.

Coincidentally, this may not help our case... Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

·
Registered
2017 XC60 T5 Inscription
218 Posts
mine ends end of January. so i guess folks that are getting later dates aren't ending already?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You use a mobile hotspot instead. I've tethered my phone to the car for ages. Paying 20 / month for the AT&T 3G made no sense when my phone has a free hotspot with unlimited data. Just because the car modem is 3g, the Wifi can connect to any speed network.
so if I have a verizon 4G hotspot, I can connect it to the car and get all functionality by adding the hotspot settings to sensus? That would be fabulous and an easy fix

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
so if I have a verizon 4G hotspot, I can connect it to the car and get all functionality by adding the hotspot settings to sensus? That would be fabulous and an easy fix
You can power the internet connectivity for features like Pandora, Tube In, etc. Your 4g hotspot will not fix the issues associated with tge 3G shutdown and losing VOLVO ON CALL FEATURES (VOC). VOC features can only be powered by tge built in 3g modem. So when 3g shuts off, the Volvo on call app, Emergengy Volvo On Call, And Volvo On Call Button will no longer work due to not internet.

The only remedy is upgrading the 3g modem to a 4g modem, which has yet to be released. Expect the upgrade to come with a hefty price tag. It wouldn't shock me lne bot if this ran $700-$1000.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Expect the upgrade to come with a hefty price tag. It wouldn't shock me lne bot if this ran $700-$1000.
If it offers any insight, John Deere has this same issue with its agriculture and construction equipment. Upgrading to a 4G modem that swaps out with the 3G enclosure is less than $300, including an upgraded high gain 4G antenna.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
If it offers any insight, John Deere has this same issue with its agriculture and construction equipment. Upgrading to a 4G modem that swaps out with the 3G enclosure is less than $300, including an upgraded high gain 4G antenna.
Ya but I truly doubt the upgrade to be a simple plug and play apparatus. And with the cost of boards and chips right now, coupled with Volvos $125-200 /hr labor rate, there's no way it'll run anywhere near $300.

I imagine the book time will easily be billed at 1 hr. Especially if any software installation is needed to integrate the new board with the vehicle.

So unless Volvo plans to goodwill or take a loss, I'd gamble on $700-1000 as a fair estimate. Which means adoption might end up being low. Considering you are then resuming an expensive VOC subscription after shelling out for the upgrade.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Ya but I truly doubt the upgrade to be a simple plug and play apparatus. And with the cost of boards and chips right now, coupled with Volvos $125-200 /hr labor rate, there's no way it'll run anywhere near $300.

I imagine the book time will easily be billed at 1 hr. Especially if any software installation is needed to integrate the new board with the vehicle.

So unless Volvo plans to goodwill or take a loss, I'd gamble on $700-1000 as a fair estimate. Which means adoption might end up being low. Considering you are then resuming an expensive VOC subscription after shelling out for the upgrade.
I'm sure it will be plug and play, but it will likely still require a Volvo visit for Volvo techs to install for 99% of owners. I was simply trying to put into context what the hardware cost could be. There are probably more John Deere tractors/equipment upgraded than Volvo ever will, but it's not really expensive.

Also to put it into perspective, John Deere has been upgraded these modems in droves now for 2 years, but currently.....there has been no available parts inventory for the new 4G modems for months, and Deere has no estimated time frame announced as to when they will be available. John Deere also has a sever shortage of touch screens, satellite receivers and cameras. Currently you can buy a $500,000 piece of equipment from Deere and it doesn't include some features, instead selling them missing components and promising upgrades/retrofits in the future. Volvo is not alone in having their hands tied at just how quickly they can roll out new tech like a 4G upgrade. Hard to make an official announcement to its customers when the situation from suppliers changes by the day. It's a sucky time to be a manufacturer.

·
797 Posts
mine ends end of January. so i guess folks that are getting later dates aren't ending already?
correct. send me a PM with your vin and I can help you get all the way to mid feb.

361 - 380 of 450 Posts