SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading on various cellular forms, such as Howard’s, that 3G service is being shuttered by ~2021. I have read this about T-Mobile (end of 2020), AT&T (~2021) and Verizon. I am not sure about other regions beyond the US, but I assume it will be similar.

Have others been hearing this as well?

Assuming that this is true, what happens to our 3G service built into and USED in our cars?

Has Volvo considered this discontinuation of service, including impacts on VOC?

What are some anticipated solutions beyond 1) using a 4G LTE hot spot via a phone or dedicated hotspot, 2) buying a new car?

I do subscribe to AT&T data on my MY16 XC90. I also subscribe to Sprint (for 20 years) which will have its own transition with the new TMo.

Just call me curious for now. Thanks!

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
491 Posts
Yes it’s true and just as you have found out, those connected to the technology in general are pretty familiar with the deadlines and inevitable shutdown of that tech. As a matter of fact, some countries have already gotten rid of 3G. Options are coming and rest assured it won’t be through an OBD dongle or random LTE hotspot.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and confirmation. I look forward to more news when it can be shared.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Yes it’s true and just as you have found out, those connected to the technology in general are pretty familiar with the deadlines and inevitable shutdown of that tech. As a matter of fact, some countries have already gotten rid of 3G. Options are coming and rest assured it won’t be through an OBD dongle or random LTE hotspot.
So it is a USB cellular modem mounted inside dashboard? Very likely.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

·
Registered
436 Posts
From the cellular side in general I hope this means that they're finishing fleshing out their LTE networks. There are a couple of places not far from here where I was quite happy to have 3g within the last year since it's still better than nothing (and there are places without even 3g, but the holes will probably be filled in eventually.)

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes, hopefully, the LTE band coverage is getting better and filling in the empty spots.

In some cases, it may not be better if the bands using 3G are simply being repurposed for future 5G - which may be good but will take some time.

This is what is I have been experiencing with Sprint even before the TMo merger as cost management measures. A new TMo should be better.

Right now, I am interested in AT&T and Volvo’s plan since that is what I use in my MY16 XC90 which is 3G.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it will be interesting to see if, when and how Bluetooth, NFC and CarKey / equivalent might come into play - at least for VOC. Knowing that iOS 13.4 and iOS 13.4.1 are on the horizon, I wonder if any of these solutions will become a complimentary options when cellular connectivity is not available.

I remain optimistic that MY16s will benefit from whatever solution(s) are ultimately released for VOC. Still not sure about onboard WiFi cellular modem options. Wait and see... Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Volvo should make a deal for 2016s that if you subscribe for 2+ years theyll install a 4G PHM in your car. I'm already paid up through 2023 so they better figure out something or I'm due for a decent refund.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Volvo should make a deal for 2016s that if you subscribe for 2+ years theyll install a 4G PHM in your car. I'm already paid up through 2023 so they better figure out something or I'm due for a decent refund.

Does PHM stand for “Prognostics and Health Management/Monitoring?” I honestly do not know anything about it except what I tried to understand after a quick Google search.

Thanks for any additional enlightenment.

I certainly look forward to a viable solution for MY16s and glad to hear it is being evaluated.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I have been reading on various cellular forms, such as Howard’s, that 3G service is being shuttered by ~2021. I have read this about T-Mobile (end of 2020), AT&T (~2021) and Verizon. I am not sure about other regions beyond the US, but I assume it will be similar.

Have others been hearing this as well?

Assuming that this is true, what happens to our 3G service built into and USED in our cars?

Has Volvo considered this discontinuation of service, including impacts on VOC?

What are some anticipated solutions beyond 1) using a 4G LTE hot spot via a phone or dedicated hotspot, 2) buying a new car?

I do subscribe to AT&T data on my MY16 XC90. I also subscribe to Sprint (for 20 years) which will have its own transition with the new TMo.

Just call me curious for now. Thanks!
You use a mobile hotspot instead. I've tethered my phone to the car for ages. Paying 20 / month for the AT&T 3G made no sense when my phone has a free hotspot with unlimited data. Just because the car modem is 3g, the Wifi can connect to any speed network.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm using a T-Mobile SIM card. No mention on the interweb about TM dropping 3G.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You use a mobile hotspot instead. I've tethered my phone to the car for ages. Paying 20 / month for the AT&T 3G made no sense when my phone has a free hotspot with unlimited data. Just because the car modem is 3g, the Wifi can connect to any speed network.
That is true unless one lives in the central, more rural US, as an example.

While Driving
Having two carriers one for the phone with hotspot (Sprint) and another carrier for the car (AT&T) actually does make sense for much better coverage.

I can drive a few miles from home and get 1 or 2 bars 3G and sometimes still 1x. Having two carriers usually fills the gap at least for data.

Not in the Car
When I am not in the car and the car is not accessible to WIFi, I do not leave my phone in the car with hotspot turned on. Thus, VOC is inop and should have its own [cellular] connection today. Why spend money for another device, such as a hotspot with limited to no coverage at times when I already have a hotspot/cellular built into the car?

That is why I am hoping for a fix or options from Volvo. If there is no fix, then I will seek a refund for VOC which will not be my preference.

The new TMo might be another option as Sprint customers are integrated.

The good news is that this is not yet a first world concern. Giving the issue and concern visibility for MY16 owners and others, just might lead to a timely solution.

It sounds like both Volvo (and maybe AT&T) are working on solutions rather than relying on hot spots that are more of a band-aid which is admittedly an option for additional money in my case and not my preference.

·
491 Posts
We don't need to speculate...

To prevent or clear any confusion / rumors...

- The proposed solution will be an official product. Not aftermarket: No OBD Dongle, External Hotspot, USB Modem, etc..
- Any solution that is made available will support VOC and connected features.
- VOC uses a SEPARATE non-replaceable SIM, but the same radio / modem bands. IE: LTE PSIM = LTE VOC
- The solution on the table is in its infancy. It's going to be months before any idea on cost, feasibility, lead-time, product offering (if any), etc.
- All carriers are going to deprecate 3G eventually...

IMHO - I think the affirmation that Volvo knows about 3G and is trying to work on something vs. nothing at all shows promise.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Yeah but will they offer a solution for 2015 5 census connect cars or just spa cars.

·
491 Posts
Yeah but will they offer a solution for 2015 5 census connect cars or just spa cars.

All connected vehicles would have an option, not just SPA. Remember, 2018 non-spa cars came with 4G. 🙂

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All connected vehicles would have an option, not just SPA. Remember, 2018 non-spa cars came with 4G. 🙂
+1. Thanks for all of your input and feedback.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm still using VOC for remote start and other features, and would very much like to have that continue to be available. Living in the snow belt, it's a huge convenience.

·
Registered
330 Posts
wonder if volvo is trying to proactively fix this "problem" is causing all the screen reboot/freezing issues in p3 cars this week

1 - 20 of 69 Posts