SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

61 - 80 of 187 Posts

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
548 Posts
How much is the 4g module? And how much is installation? Also is this an aftermarket part or Volvo Genuine?
You can buy a genuine TEM4G for the EuCD vehicles from your retailer. It does need a software download too. I don't know any costs. I also don't know any costs / timeline for when any upgrade campaign will take place. It is still a WIP.

Reactions: ttknf

·
548 Posts
Does the end of 3G mean the SOS button and crash notification end?
Yes.

DISCLAIMER: I want to emphasize that when 3G goes away, the car didn't "break" & it's not "defective". As built, the vehicle operates as it should. That said, we want people to have connected functionality (including calling) and unlike most OEM's, are planning to offer an option for their customers. Free, Discount, When, Etc... I have absolutely no idea over what and when. Everyone also has their own situations about warranties and whatever else that I can't comment about. I just want to say that the vehicle isn't "defective". We can't control the cellular networks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wasn't saying the car was broken, but considering my car is a 2016, considering that Volvo sells on safety, and the SOS system was one of the reasons I bought the car, I certainly hope Volvo comes up with a fix for this before the drop dead date!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I wasn't saying the car was broken, but considering my car is a 2016, considering that Volvo sells on safety, and the SOS system was one of the reasons I bought the car, I certainly hope Volvo comes up with a fix for this before the drop dead date!
For all of us in the same boat, we're curious how this will work out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2017 XC90 recently purchased that was built on Nov 2016 and I have not had a chance to get VOC yet. Does that mean I have the 3g modem as oppose to the 4g one? How can I tell? Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Agreed.

Yes, I'm paying the outrageous VOC cost just for remote locking and start. It might also come in handy at events if I have difficulty locating the vehicle. The SOS is a real consideration, though I hope I never have to use it. I would certainly be interested in keeping these features, as long as the cost isn't crazy. My MY 2015.5 XC70 has only 32k miles, and I have every intention of keeping it for quite a while.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 2017 XC90 recently purchased that was built on Nov 2016 and I have not had a chance to get VOC yet. Does that mean I have the 3g modem as oppose to the 4g one? How can I tell? Thanks
I'll have to look again, but I think when you turn the car modem on and it gets a signal it has a little "3G" under the signal strength bars.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
See my post #56. Since you have a MY17, your XC90 has 4G LTE. (In this case and most cases, the build month/year rarely matters in US market within the same model year. An exception may apply, but not here.)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Agreed.
Yes, I'm paying the outrageous VOC cost just for remote locking and start. It might also come in handy at events if I have difficulty locating the vehicle. The SOS is a real consideration, though I hope I never have to use it. I would certainly be interested in keeping these features, as long as the cost isn't crazy. My MY 2015.5 XC70 has only 32k miles, and I have every intention of keeping it for quite a while.
Exactly. Our '16 XC70 has 33k miles and until the manufacturers come up with an electric &/or hybrid which has substantially better fuel economy/range AND checks all the boxes the XC does, ours is a keeper too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any updates here @WhoaVolvo ? First Edition owner here, and more than a little frustrated that 30K miles before I could even attain a 100K badge the car will be losing a critical safety feature. Looking forward to learning about the solution. Thx for keeping us up to speed!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
BTW, I updated the title of this thread to say “by end of 2021” in US.

Latest
  • AT&T delayed their 3G shutdown until Feb 2022
  • T-Mo/Sprint and Verizon indicate 3G either during or by end of 2021
  • Some regions of the world have reportedly already shutdown 3G - unverified by me

Reminder (per @WhoaVolvo in my words)
  • Most Non-SPA vehicles - 4G LTE available now - parts upgrade ($)
  • SPA MY16 XC90s incl First Editions - In dev; available sometime during 2021 ($)

Reactions: ttknf

·
548 Posts
Any updates here @WhoaVolvo ? First Edition owner here, and more than a little frustrated that 30K miles before I could even attain a 100K badge the car will be losing a critical safety feature. Looking forward to learning about the solution. Thx for keeping us up to speed!
A communication of intent (that an upgrade will be available) is coming shortly. To that will be an official word. But, even I would like to know some of the pricing ;)

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
A communication of intent (that an upgrade will be available) is coming shortly. To that will be an official word. But, even I would like to know some of the pricing ;)
Wonder if this would be covered under the CPO if one is still at the time of transition. Since the car is losing a critical function.

·
548 Posts
Wonder if this would be covered under the CPO if one is still at the time of transition. Since the car is losing a critical function.
Nope. The car, as it's built, works. But.... I am sure there will be considerations at the national and retailer level.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Nope. The car, as it's built, works. But.... I am sure there will be considerations at the national and retailer level.
I can't imagine many people will retrofit their vehicles if the solution is more than a couple hundred dollars. The caveat of Volvo deciding to use old Tech in the 15.5. As even in 15.5 3G was antiquated.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I hope they provide the parts for free, and thus gain more new customers, or sell slightly higher price on new cars to cover the cost.

Or at least gives several years of free VOC subscription in return on the charge for parts.

Maybe reimburse dealership for labor cost too.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
The optics for Volvo of selling safety and having an SOS system that does not work are not good. I hope that motivates them to come up with a reasonable solution.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The optics for Volvo of selling safety and having an SOS system that does not work are not good. I hope that motivates them to come up with a reasonable solution.
And reality sets in that Volvo charges luxury prices and I'd be shocked if this is given away for free. Gut feeling tells me this isn't going to be cheap.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
If they designed the module properly, it is just like using a USB 4g module in newer cars to replace USB 3g module. Thinking about the cost for such modem on a laptop, I'd think cost is manageable. Well they will add a lot overhead on top of it.

·
548 Posts
If they designed the module properly, it is just like using a USB 4g module in newer cars to replace USB 3g module. Thinking about the cost for such modem on a laptop, I'd think cost is manageable. Well they will add a lot overhead on top of it.
That's basically what the upgrade is... And some software. The XC90, ALSO is just a swap, but requires an change to harness as well.

I think this thread needs a reality check. I am not sure why there is all this negative sentiment to be honest. At least there IS a solution with active engagement from people who are trying to share updates and be transparent.

I have never been given such an upgrade on any consumer devices. It's not like Sony offered me a new Playstation 5, as soon as I bought the PS4....

I had BMW's for decades and I never got any help when my CD based GPS died and I was forced to buy a DVD variant... Or even when 2G went away and BMW charged to their 3G upgrade.

Easy to cast stones when your not the one on the receiving end.

61 - 80 of 187 Posts