SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 187 Posts

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
549 Posts
I experienced that twice so far in my 2015.5 V60. What gives?
I actually don't have a 100% answer for you, but I can say for sure it's not related to a 3G->4G upgrades, etc. Sorry.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Chatted with T-Mobile tech support today and they are phasing out 3G area by area. It would be grand if Volvo could offer a revised 4G or LTE module to replace the current 3G on my 2015.5.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Chatted with T-Mobile tech support today and they are phasing out 3G area by area. It would be grand if Volvo could offer a revised 4G or LTE module to replace the current 3G on my 2015.5.
I can't imagine any solution Volvo devises will be very cost effective, but I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I can't imagine any solution Volvo devises will be very cost effective, but I hope I'm wrong.
I am optimistic, particularly for an affordable VOC solution which is the critical piece for remote start, et al.

I am hopeful (guarded optimism) for a 4G/LTE vehicle data/modem. Good news is that there are other options for that (e.g., hot spot on phone).

IMO, 5G seems more bleeding edge for most industries and consumers and not really a consideration yet.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I certainly hope they sort out an upgraded modem, plan B is to get a new XC60 PE so I can stream our beloved BBC Radio 6 without Bluetooth. Kind of suspect that Volvo will want plan B.:whistle:

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
I am optimistic, particularly for an affordable VOC solution.

I am hopeful (guarded optimism) for a 4G/LTE vehicle data/modem. Good news is that there are other options for that. 5G seems more bleeding edge for most industries and consumers.
Unfortunately what tends to happen with technology is once it becomes outdated you're out of luck.

I'm not sure that vehicle manufactures have thought long term, seeing they probably figure that not many people keep the car over X amount of years or buy a new one.

However I do plan to keep my car long term but I'm not going to Spend large sums of money to keep VOC working. I'll tether phone for pandora, tune in, etc and live with whatever functionality remains on my 15.5 s60.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Unfortunately what tends to happen with technology is once it becomes outdated you're out of luck.

I'm not sure that vehicle manufactures have thought long term, seeing they probably figure that not many people keep the car over X amount of years or buy a new one.

However I do plan to keep my car long term but I'm not going to Spend large sums of money to keep VOC working. I'll tether phone for pandora, tune in, etc and live with whatever functionality remains on my 15.5 s60.
Agree.

My concern relates mostly to VOC which relies on 3G cellular for MY16s and some earlier model years. I updated my original post to clarify.

I am very happy to hear from WhoaVolvo who confirmed that Volvo is working on a solution at least for VOC.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Agree.

My concern relates mostly to VOC which relies on 3G cellular for MY16s and some earlier model years. I updated my original post to clarify.

I am very happy to hear from WhoaVolvo who confirmed that Volvo is working on a solution at least for VOC.
I am in the same boat as I own a MY 15.5 S60. However, whatever fix is going to include a replacement of a module since current hardware only supports 3G signals. Think of a cell phone I.E. Galaxy S9/S9+. It handles 4G and 3G, but is incapable of using 5G and not amount of software can fix that issue. Since it lacks the hardware to handle 5G.

Therefore, my fear is that any resolution proposed by Volvo to fix our current VOC dilemma isn't going to be a cheap fix between the part + labor. My only hope, is that they'd include said repair under my existing CPO if I lose functionality of VOC. But I truly and seriously doubt it.

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
549 Posts
What do you consider "large sums"?

·
Administrator
55,861 Posts
I experienced that twice so far in my 2015.5 V60. What gives?
There was an issue with Sirius XM according to my dealer that looked at our 2016 S60CC after we experienced it 3 times within less than 24hrs. Not sure why that would cause the entire system to reboot but it hasn't happened since.

·
Administrator
55,861 Posts
Therefore, my fear is that any resolution proposed by Volvo to fix our current VOC dilemma isn't going to be a cheap fix between the part + labor. My only hope, is that they'd include said repair under my existing CPO if I lose functionality of VOC. But I truly and seriously doubt it.
Time to extend our 2016's CPO warranty to the full 10yrs, just in case we need to upgrade to 6G or 7G in a few years. :)

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
What do you consider "large sums"?
Considering this will require the replacement of either 1 or 2 modules, I'm guessing the process won't be a few hundred dollars. Not at Volvo's $120/hr labor rate. There's a module that'll require VOC to continue operating and one that'll permit infotainment to continue working. Unless you plan to use a 3rd party hotspot and tether, than the infotainment issue is less of a concern. I don't subscribe to AT&T and use my unlimited hotspot on my cell phone instead.

None the less, if this process is more than a few hundred, I'll take a pass. As I have no plans to dump anywhere near ~$1000 bucks into my car to resolve the issue. To which I strongly suspect will be the more realistic price range. Only benefit I see would be VOC if in an accident, which terminates at the end of my CPO (if I'm correct). I don't have the Volvo On Call subscription that allows for remote start, locking doors, etc.

FYI consider this... I have a MY 15.5 Car built in June 2014. Put into Service June 2015. Bought June 2016 as Demo / Loaner 2K miles. The car is 6 years old at this point, and been owned by me for ~46 months. CPO terminates June 2022 or in 33,000 miles (this probably will come first). Car sits at around 66,700.

My Point? The vehicle is 6 years old and KBB says certified by a dealer would be around $15,200 atm. Because it still has CPO + Prepaid Maintenace, I'd say my value is around the $14 to 15K mark.... Meaning, I'm not going to throw money at the car to keep it "up to date". By the time 3G terminates in another year. I'll probably be sitting on a 10-11K vehicle. There comes a point in time where you accept the vehicle you own is "Old Technology".

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If one does not use VOC for remote start, traffic on Sensus and so forth, it may not matter much. However, resale value in northern states would surely be negatively affected without a viable remote start.

It is anyone’s guess what the options might be, 4G cellular for VOC might be an option but there may well be others.

Having a viable solution for another 4-8 years would be great if a modest cost can be amortized over 4+ years.

I am looking forward to options and would not want to dissuade Volvo from developing a solution for those who may want it.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Time to extend our 2016's CPO warranty to the full 10yrs, just in case we need to upgrade to 6G or 7G in a few years. :)
Wishful thinking to believe Volvo would consider this a CPO matter. I'd be flat out shocked if Volvo covered the upgrade on my vehicle next year. They'll probably label this an "optional upgrade" since our vehicles can operate without connectivity.

I know Sirius XM powers the traffic of MY 15.5 S60 navigation.

VOC App is a money grabbing waste. Spending 100s of dollars a year to remote start my car has been the most irksome thing about owning a Volvo. Should have included a Key Fob with VOC APP an optial upgrade. I paid for remote start but I have to "pay again" and continously to use it... If I had to ding Volvo on any decision, this is where it rubs me wrong way.

Far as "On Call" in event of an accident, there's merit to keeping this service working. Not sure what percentage of people have used On Call to ask for assistance, but I imagine since the service still exists, there's at least some demand.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
If one does not use VOC for remote start, traffic on Sensus and so forth, it may not matter much. However, resale value in northern states would surely be negatively affected without a viable remote start.

It is anyone’s guess what the options might be, 4G cellular for VOC might be an option but there may well be others.

Having a viable solution for another 4-8 years would be great if a modest cost can be amortized over 4+ years.

I am looking forward to options and would not want to dissuade Volvo from developing a solution for those who may want it.
Not sure if other years and models are different, but traffic is provided through Sirius XM on my 15.5 S60.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not sure if other years and models are different, but traffic is provided through Sirius XM on my 15.5 S60.
From other threads it appears there are a couple different providers over the years and/or models. E.g. my 2020 XC60 T8 uses INRIX Traffic for RTTI.

·
Registered
369 Posts
FWIW, and I realize they are different brands, designs, etc... but some context with another car might be useful to someone:

Early Tesla Model S went through this almost identical concern and speculation. Original MS was produced with 3G only, and of course was highly reliant upon WiFi/Cellular for connection back to the mothership for car updates/etc as well as standard on-the-road Infotainment streaming and services. Later builds were produced with 4G/LTE (I don't know the cutoff point), e.g. my former "Sept 2015 Build" shipped with 4G/LTE as standard. IIRC in the late 2015 timeframe, Tesla came out with a retrofit "4G/LTE Upgrade" for early production models that was effectively a board to replace the 3G modem/built-in SIM. Tesla did not do a recall or provide some sort of free campaign to make the change. It remained a customer responsibility to upgrade or not, and as you'd expect there were owners on the forums that were @%(*#%$'d off having to spend a penny to (optionally) take advantage of the latest cellular standard that newer builds supported by default. IIRC, parts back then were just over $100, labor close to $300 US. While it was just a little board needing to be replaced, the entire MCU (big center screen) had to be removed to get to it in the depths under the dash, then vehicle software and connectivity had to be updated by Tesla Service to match.

My point being, some owners feel entitled for nearly a lifetime, but I don't see any auto mfgr being responsible to maintain future cellular and other connected technologies outside their control, once a vehicle or product with predefined specs is sold. I expect support for the latest standards in new MYs when I buy, so I've future-proofed myself as much as I can -- no different than how I've purchased PC/Mac and other tech for 40+ years. It's then great if a mfgr like Volvo has designed their vehicle or product so I can optionally upgrade or later retrofit at some reasonable price (whatever that may be to me at the time), vs having to purchase a new model -- at least I have a choice. I see those sort of options made available to owners as a potential benefit of the brand when considering my next purchase, even if I don't make use of the upgrade/retrofit myself. I won't likely keep my 2020 long enough to see 4G/LTE phased-out as is beginning to happen to older vehicles with only 3G, but even if I did, I would not expect Volvo to pick up the tab. As has been said, it's great Volvo is working on a solution for 3G-only vehicle owners to consider. We'll see what they come up with.

Reactions: ttknf

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
^ +1

Exactly. My XC90 T8 was ordered May 2015, built Oct. 2015 and delivered Feb. 2016. It came with 3G even though 4G/LTE was available for the masses.

For MY17, builds starting late April 2016, 4G/LTE was released. I was disappointed and dismayed with that (but then I hoped an upgrade path would be coming as my intent was to keep my car for 10 years (2026) I am only at 4 years right now.

Once I heard and realized that 3G was shutting down by 2021, that left me a bit bewildered which is why I started the thread as a sanity check.

Fortunately, WhoaVolvo came to the rescue to indicate that Volvo is aware of and is working on a solution - at least for VOC (and I hope INRX Traffic as I do use Sensus Nav and I do not use the XM Traffic option).

Anyway, all is good and I will pay a modest and reasonable fee for an upgrade - giving me options to keep on driving for 10 or more years if I choose or having a reasonable resale value with remote start, et al options.

I have no expectations for a future 5G upgrade for abundant reasons and I expect Volvo will have many more options at its disposal for remote start, et al by then.

21 - 40 of 187 Posts