SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

181 - 187 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I wonder what other embedded 3G devices are out there? Might be a lot more than some Volvos.
Literally hundreds of thousands of agricultural, forestry, and construction equipment have 3G modems in them. And countless truck drivers use 3G modems for the electronic logbooks required in their semi trucks. Literally ever large trucking comparing has 3G modems in ever single semi.....we are talking tens of thousands and beyond.

Note that just this week Verizon backtracked and said they will NOTR be ending 3G any time soon in order to support customers. A specific example was cited: crash notification systems or emergency call-out systems located in many automobiles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Literally hundreds of thousands of agricultural, forestry, and construction equipment have 3G modems in them. And countless truck drivers use 3G modems for the electronic logbooks required in their semi trucks. Literally ever large trucking comparing has 3G modems in ever single semi.....we are talking tens of thousands and beyond.

Note that just this week Verizon backtracked and said they will NOTR be ending 3G any time soon in order to support customers. A specific example was cited: crash notification systems or emergency call-out systems located in many automobiles.
I work for a large manufacturer of Construction equipment with over 1M of connected machines WW that have 3G telematics boxes on them. Our 3G—4G conversion program has been out since early 2020, and is far more complicated to get these machines converted to 4G due to the remote locations of the machines, and the fact that these machines are not easily transported. The cost is astronomical to “upgrade” these, but the campaign is going fairly smoothly thus far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
@WhoaVolvo Thank you for all of your info (and patience)! I just purchased my first Volvo S60 Inscription in October 2020 as a CPO, and living in Minnesota, in an apartment where I park on the street, one of the biggest selling points were AWD, and VOC with remote start and lock, so I was a bit upset getting the email about the sunsetting of 3G!

Anyway, thank you everybody who has contributed useful information and productive exchanging of ideas!

·
Registered
741 Posts
for those who didn't believe that There is 10 year SOS in window sticker. I cant find my S60 2017 sticker but i know it was on there as well but here my s90 sticker.

Reactions: jwjon1

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #185 (Edited)
Apologies for a cross-post.

@Pauls90, the MY18 S90s have 4G modems. I am not sure if all MY16 and MY17 S90 have 4G modems or not. If they do have 4G modems, the statement is moot.

FWIW, I can verify that the window sticker on my MY16 XC90 does NOT have any such statement. I can also verify that the MY16 XC90 sales brochure does not contain any such statement either.

The MY16 XC90 sales brochure does state “Volvo on Call with hotspot and internet maps” and in another place mentions support for device hotspot and WiFi.

Owners should simply follow up with Volvo Cares and their dealer after reviewing materials for their specific vehicle(s). There is no one size fits all and your specific circumstances may vary.

I have faith and trust that Volvo has a solution coming just as @WhoaVolvo has repeatedly stated here and elsewhere.

Some patience and continued safe and alert driving are the most appropriate.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

Reactions: jwjon1 and meade18

·
Registered
741 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
181 - 187 of 187 Posts