SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so after days of scouring the internet for the illusive spaceball shift plate for the 6 speed, it occured to me that I have a giant resin 3d printer that I could theoretically print one off of (my resin printer prints in 5k HD so there will be no build lines and will be completely smooth and hopefully be able to operate precisely). Well I was coming here to kind of get an idea of what parts people would want to have 3d printed. I know the rubber retainer surrounding the shifter is one that is often sought after, but what I'm thinking about doing is scanning all of the parts for the spaceball assembly and shift plate assembly for both the 04 and the 05+ then printing and testing them for functionality. Hopefully it will work out alright, I have an 04 though and i'm specifically looking to modify my center console to an 07 so am in need of buying (or even borrowing if you have an extra one available for $$$) the shift plate for an 05+ 6 speed. If anyone knows where I might could find one, we might be very well on the path to getting everyone an affordable replacement for their shift plates and space balls. Let me know what else you guys are interested in seeing, I'm currently gathering the parts to make a 3d scanner so hopefully it will be accurate enough to go into a car and actually function. If anyone has already made these and has an STL file for them, I will gladly pay for the files, if not, then I hope that I may have the honor to gift a service to this community for a RELIABLE and AFFORDABLE option for many others like myself.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I think @volbro850 prints the rubber shifter bushing already

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Psychonaut

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That is awesome. Go for it!

I had really good luck with photogrammetry for the rear spring seats I’m making. If you get some clean pictures it’s very accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think @volbro850 prints the rubber shifter bushing already

I saw that, I'm going to get some flexible resin and try printing some myself.

That is awesome. Go for it!

I had really good luck with photogrammetry for the rear spring seats I'm making. If you get some clean pictures it's very accurate.

I'd like to see a picture of your results. Are you just using a filament printer for it? I am strongly considering getting an Ender Pro 5, from my understanding those are the best in terms of bang for the buck.

What software and scanner were you using to put it together? I was looking to buy an iphone 12 because of the facial recognition scanner doubles over as a LiDAR scanner which can be used for photogrammetry. Surprisingly enough, I have an Xbox One camera that I got randomly, and I found out you can get an adapter that allows you to convert it into a 3d scanner for the PC so it's definitely a lot more cost effective than paying $1000+ on a scanner.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

I'd like to see a picture of your results. Are you just using a filament printer for it? I am strongly considering getting an Ender Pro 5, from my understanding those are the best in terms of bang for the buck.

What software and scanner were you using to put it together? I was looking to buy an iphone 12 because of the facial recognition scanner doubles over as a LiDAR scanner which can be used for photogrammetry. Surprisingly enough, I have an Xbox One camera that I got randomly, and I found out you can get an adapter that allows you to convert it into a 3d scanner for the PC so it's definitely a lot more cost effective than paying $1000+ on a scanner.
Resin from what I have heard and read is very brittle. And wouldn't hold up to heat. 3D scanning parts and printing them is quite time consuming. You won't get accurate results with scanning and printing. That part would need to be designed with actual measurements and drawn out. It sounds good when you read about it, but believe me. 3D printing and designing stuff takes tons of time and R & D. For the shifter surround that your wanting to print. You wouldn't like the outcome from printing it. Even if it was to be designed, getting it to print and be a very nice piece would be extremely hard. The curve of the piece and with the clips that it has, as well as the position it would needed to be printed in, with all the supports just wouldn't be good. Not knocking your idea, just giving you a heads up on the struggle of it all. This would also need to be made from abs plastic. Resin printing can yield great detail, but not strong parts.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

I am not doing my own printing. I just used photogrammetry to create a mesh of the object I needed. I just needed some critical dimensions from the part to create my own version of the part. Not the same process as you but the photogrammetry part could probably work well for you if you are trying to do some budget 3D scanning.

I hung the object with fishing wire and lit it from all angles using shop lights. Took pictures from all angles using my Sony A7S with a 35mm on it. I used mesh room to stitch it all together.

It's not perfect, you have to do some clean up but this is the raw mesh it spits out. Just cleaned up the background in blender.

It's really worked well for me. This doesn't need to be accurate to the thousandth of an inch but it's been good enough for me to work with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your input. I am aware that the accuracy of printing those parts can be a HUGE pain and won't just go 1:1 as soon as I scan it, but my idea for the shift plate would be to make it all one piece instead of doing 2 different pieces so I don't have to worry much about the clips. I know that they make several different kinds of resins for different applications including some built for heat up to 200F but unfortunately it is even more brittle than the "regular" resin, I believe I can make something work by making the piece a little bit heavier and supporting it with a reasonable amount of infill. From my understanding, there shouldn't be too much areas for wear (I could be wrong) pertaining the space ball that require a ton of pressure, I'm still going to give it a go for science. If worse comes to worst I'll just print it out in Polycarbonate filament and clean it up really well or even make a mold to cast it. I think as far as the flexible resin goes, I might be able to add a small amount of flexible resin to the mix with the high heat resistant resin in order to make a more resilient and forgiving part (hopefully). Wish me luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not doing my own printing. I just used photogrammetry to create a mesh of the object I needed. I just needed some critical dimensions from the part to create my own version of the part. Not the same process as you but the photogrammetry part could probably work well for you if you are trying to do some budget 3D scanning.

I hung the object with fishing wire and lit it from all angles using shop lights. Took pictures from all angles using my Sony A7S with a 35mm on it. I used mesh room to stitch it all together.

It's not perfect, you have to do some clean up but this is the raw mesh it spits out. Just cleaned up the background in blender.

It's really worked well for me. This doesn't need to be accurate to the thousandth of an inch but it's been good enough for me to work with.

That came out looking awesome! I'm excited to get this thing going. I completely forgot that you can just take a picture of it, I have an app on my phone where it uses a checkered background and you scan the entire object, it didn't work out much for me, but with something like that it would seem to work out well.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Stoked to see what you make :D

·
Registered
09 XC90
9 Posts
I'm just getting into the scanning part of 3d printing. I designed and printed (using PETG) some mounts for my offroad lights. We'll see how they hold up through a summer and winter but I'd like to scan and print covers for the headlight washers next as a test for some of the scanning tools out there. I have 1 cover but the other was missing when I bought it, so it should be an easy part to scan and mirror. Let me know how your stuff goes.

Below are the offroad mounts I designed, the white was some test pieces in PLA to get the contours right and then the black are in PETG, with some foam added underneath for padding. Basically needed to move the lights forward about an inch so the hood would clear them when it opened and closed.

Whoops. Holes are too close to hood, but holes farther out would angle the lights down to the ground because of the curve in the bumper.
Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycle basket Motor vehicle

Needed to keep them relatively flat but just move them forward an inch.
Automotive parking light Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Wood Rectangle Gadget Material property Audio equipment

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts