SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. Ever since I bought the car 3 years ago, I have not yet done any wheel alignment or wheel balancing and that's because, despite having driven for 36000KM, I do not feel any (steering) wheel vibrations or uneven tyre wear or vehicle veering off to one side.

I'm worried also that the moment I take it in for proactive balancing and wheel alignment, will be the day I'd have opened up floodgates of vibrations and more headaches.

Our roads arent smooth, but full of potholes and patches and I've driven it on gravel road at slow speeds, though not for long distances, but so far so good with the tyres and steering feel.

I feel like waiting until the vehicle begins to vibrate or wheels wearing off unevenly before taking it in. Or am I doing it wrongly sticking to the adage: "If it aint broken why fix it?"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. Ever since I bought the car 3 years ago, I have not yet done any wheel alignment or wheel balancing and that's because, despite having driven for 36000KM, I do not feel any (steering) wheel vibrations or uneven tyre wear or vehicle veering off to one side.

I'm worried also that the moment I take it in for proactive balancing and wheel alignment, will be the day I'd have opened up floodgates of vibrations and more headaches.

Our roads arent smooth, but full of potholes and patches and I've driven it on gravel road at slow speeds, though not for long distances, but so far so good with the tyres and steering feel.

I feel like waiting until the vehicle begins to vibrate or wheels wearing off unevenly before taking it in. Or am I doing it wrongly sticking to the adage: "If it aint broken why fix it?"

You should feel happy, why worried. Did you do wheel rotation? If you check and see tire depth are different at front and rear now, do a rotation (and probably balancing).

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should feel happy, why worried. Did you do wheel rotation? If you check and see tire depth are different at front and rear now, do a rotation (and probably balancing).
Not yet. Yes, the front's depth is now shallower than the rear's, but I thought we were advised not to rotate them?

I intended rotating them front to back but on the same side, as opposed to front-to-back-left-to-right kind of rotation.

It looks like the OEM balancing weight they put on the wheel is more effective than the tyre place's zinc weights.

I'll update you next week on how it feels after taking it in

·
Registered
879 Posts
You NEED to rotate your tires every service. Why wouldn't you?! I think Volvo is stupid for not suggesting this because why would you want low tread on your steering wheels?

Back in the old days, people would/should rotate tires every other oil change which was 6,000 miles. Now we're driving cars 10k miles until service and tires wear more on the front than the rear and they wear differently.

All of my customer's rotate every 10k to get the optimum tire life and wear pattern.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts