SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 360 camera on my new V60 is a really well-executed feature. Of course it only works in reverse.

There are situations when this camera would be helpful moving forward. That can be done briefly by shifting to reverse and then drive. But it would be nice to be able to have it available on-demand regardless of the current gear.

Is there any way to hack or reprogram the 360 camera so I can turn it on anytime desired?

·
Registered
2019 Volvo XC40 T5 Inscription, 2018 Volvo V90 Cross Country T5
93 Posts
The 360 camera on my new V60 is a really well-executed feature. Of course it only works in reverse.

There are situations when this camera would be helpful moving forward. That can be done briefly by shifting to reverse and then drive. But it would be nice to be able to have it available on-demand regardless of the current gear.

Is there any way to hack or reprogram the 360 camera so I can turn it on anytime desired?
Yes, if from your homescreen you swipe to the left screen you will see an icon for camera. You can select it there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, if from your homescreen you swipe to the left screen you will see an icon for camera. You can select it there.
Yes that works - but only at slow speeds.

Is there any way to hack that feature so it works at any speed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes that works - but only at slow speeds.

Is there any way to hack that feature so it works at any speed.
Sort answer, No. And there is a very good reason for that, if you look at the frame rate and latency of the camera stream (not just the 360 view, even the backup camera) there is a very noticeable delay between the actual scene and the picture stream being displayed on IHU (this is also affected by exposure due to difference in amb. lighting). This factor alone would makes it quiet unreliable and dangerous to be used in high speed. Manufactures that allows you to leave the camera up when driving at higher speed typically have some considerations on this issue (Tesla for instance, use CPLD/FPGA to accelerate decoding and dump the camera image directly to the screen to reduce the latency). I was able to code a BMW to remove the speed restriction on the top view camera, not too useful due to this delay.
The long answer to your question, yes it is possible, although I don't see an option in VIDA, it is possible to reverse engineer the IHU software/firmware to remove that restriction, or injecting messages on the CAN/LIN bus (I don't believe the IHU is connected to FlexRay, please correct me if I am wrong) to make the IHU believe that you are driving at low speed without affecting rest of the car (like traction control, ABS and other active and passive safety features, which rely on proper speed input to work). With enough work I am sure that is possible, but I don't think it will get you what you were looking for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts