SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo just threw me for a loop: went to install my new slotted and drilled Stoptech rotors / pads, and I realized that although I have the 320mm calipers, I have the 300mm rotors and brackets :angryfire: (volvo!!!!).

So, I throw myself on the SS community's mercy: does anyone have 320mm caliper brackets for sale???

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Lol.. I made 4 trips to the auto parts store to do the brakes on our 06 and I don't have any idea what size anything is

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I'm not sure this is possible. Are we talking about original parts installed on the car? Send pics.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Go ask for 2011 V50 all those had 320mm brakes since the 300 were phased out.

I got mine from Rockauto and paid about 55$/caliper no core charge.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I THINK what he is saying is that when he went to install his new parts he found that...

New 320 pads fit his existing 320 calipers.
New 320 rotors didn't fit as his existing rotors are 300.

Is this correct? You are surmising that the 320 calipers are mounted to 300 brackets? This is WAY fishy, I've never heard of such a situation & am not sure that 320 calipers will even fit onto 300 brackets.

Please post some pics.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Having just done the swap from 300 to 320, I can attest it is a straight bolt-on, provided that all parts (calipers/rotors/pads) are consistently sized (i.e. 300 MM or 320 MM).

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
New 320 pads fit his existing 320 calipers.
New 320 rotors didn't fit as his existing rotors are 300.
You are surmising that the 320 calipers are mounted to 300 brackets? .
Exactly.:confused: At least that was my initial determination. Photos to follow tonight. My calipers appear to be the 320mm style, same 320mm calipers as shown on the right here http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?224170-V50R-BBK-Big-Brakes-Installed-320mm-Set-Up but the rotors are DEFINITELY 300mm.
For me, easiest way to tell tmy calipers are 320mm is that, well, they are MUCH bigger/beefer than 300mm calipers, but the other way is the pad spring retainer has a different style to it. So imagine my surprise when my new 320mm rotors are a) 1" larger in diameter than the old rotors and b) the caliper bracket will not mount to the strut. So what else could it be except a 300mm bracket on a 320mm caliper?

I suppose it's possible someone installed the wrong rotors at some point and then got matching brackets? Or that the calipers I have are the same style as the 320mm but are actually designed for 300mm (are there additional caliper variants?) But like you said, do 300mm brackets even fit 320mm calipers? Or do I have some weird frankenstein brake system??? Maybe it's a 2005 issue and this was the early version of performance brakes (?)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
the 300mm brackets have '818' + '300' written on them

left side says LH on caliper, right side RH i believe. and the older style retention clip is visible in this picture.

and yeah, i really want to see pictures of your set-up.
My guess is that somebody tried to replace parts before you owned it and just didnt get it right.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya, I'm very familiar with the 300mm calipers - they are distinctly different than the 320mm calipers (which I clearly have).
My current brake system operates fine, so I can't imagine that there's a major flaw and it appears all equipment is OEM stuff... so I'm just guessing it's an early variant on the 320mm brake kit. Unless someone here comes to my rescue, I'm going to replace current setup with rebuilt 320mm calipers via rockauto, which will yeild me newly rebuilt calipers and the correct bracket.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
All I can think is that someone mounted some new 320 calipers on the car at some point without changing anything else. There are no other caliper variants (US). Backing plates differ between the sizes although no one bothers to change them out. If yours look like Brown's you can be quite sure it came from the factory that way & were originally 300s. Brake hoses are different also, but again no one changes them since the size difference is so small. You could compare hose length with a known 300 car for another clue.

All this is just for grins in the end since you want actual 320s on your car. Your solution seems the best way to go as brackets from Volvo are about $150 for a pair.

One more thought. Any chance you got the incorrect rotor? Cut a measuring "caliper" out of cardboard & measure your rotor. Or directly measure if you have it off the car already.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Calipers are not like Browns, they are clearly 320mm calipers (Brown's were just like my 2.4i's). Yes upon discovering the rotors were different size, my first thought was that the new (larger) powerstop rotors were the wrong size / wrong application. But measuring them comes out to roughly 318mm/12.5" and mount perfectly, even with the 300mm backplates (which barely cleared). It's also clear the older rotors are about 0.5" smaller in radius when compared to the new 320mm powerstops. Then I thought, maybe someone put the wrong size rotors on previously, so I tried to mount the calipers with the new 320mm rotors installed - they won't mount - need about 0.5" extra clearance. So I'm not sure what other conclusions I can draw other than the 320mm-style caliper has the 300mm bracket and 300mm rotor.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Maybe it's a 2005 issue and this was the early version of performance brakes (?)
Nope. My 2005 V50 T5 AWD M66 has the full-320 front setup. And it was an early model, I ordered it and it was one of the first AWD/M66 manufacturing run. That's not to say someone grabbed the wrong stuff from the bin in Ghent some other time. :confused:

·
Registered
538 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright guys, so this is what I found out after taking another look at the brakes: apparently the previous owner installed 300mm rotors on the 320mm brake kit. The pads then wore about a 1/4" lip on the outside of the brake pads due to the smaller contact area on the rotor. That lip is what prevented me from being able to install the caliper on the new rotor during the test fit (I didn't take the old pads off) - that's also what made me think there was a 320mm caliper with a 300mm caliper brackets. Regardless, new pads and rotors are installed with the 320mm calipers. Mystery solved!!!

My apologies to the volvo gods :p

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Enjoy your 13.8% increase in front brake swept friction area, and happy stopping!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Just out of curiosity - what size wheels and offset are you running with the 320's? Any changes required?

I have the 18" Medusa's on my ride (which clear fine with factory offset) and am going to be (hopefully) switching over to my 16" winter steel snowies over the next few weeks, so hoping clearance will not be an issue. I also have the original set of factory 16" Caligo's which may be the new snow rims IF need be and IF they clear....... REALLY hoping I do not have to upsize the winter set up.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Pretty sure you need 17" wheels to clear the 320s.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Factory offset, factory 17" wheelset, factory 320mm brakes. No changes necessary, but I'm not sure what the offset is - 48mm???

I'm about 95% sure you don't need 17" wheels to clear the 320mm brakes. With my 17" wheels I have at least 1/2" between rotors and wheel, so 16" should be fine + there's a variety of 320mm brakes cars with 16".

·
Registered
538 Posts
OK - thx. Fingers crossed. As noted, I expect to attempt the swap in the next couple of weeks and will update as to results. Factory offset is 52.5 mm for both the 18" Medusa's and 16" Caligo's according to Volvo website. Again...fingers crossed.......

1 - 20 of 33 Posts