SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm currently using IPD HD spring seats but planning to pick up some replacements sooner rather than later.

Everyone agrees that the 'updated HD XC90' 30683637 spring seats are the ones to get, but there are still options other than the Volvo blue box that are marked OEM and OE.

Does anyone have experience with the Sachs or Rein parts?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Have Rien on my XC90 and no issues since I put them on about 8 months ago. I use the XC90 to drive in areas that I won’t drive my R’s due to the extremely bad roads.

2004 S60R M66 Flash Green/Atacama
2004 V70R M66 Mystic Silver/Gobi
1997 S90
2005 XC90 V8 Magic Blue/Taupe
2008 S80 3.2 Shimmer Gold/Sandstone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I would go with febi or sachs, i believe febi is the OES. Rein is definitely not OEM and is a aftermarket company and not the best from everything Ive seen and tried.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have Rien on my XC90 and no issues since I put them on about 8 months ago. I use the XC90 to drive in areas that I won’t drive my R’s due to the extremely bad roads.
I would go with febi or sachs, i believe febi is the OES. Rein is definitely not OEM and is a aftermarket company and not the best from everything Ive seen and tried.
Yah, this is exactly why I'm looking for this type of feedback... It's hard to really know.

I was sold on the IPD HD variants when I ordered my swaybars, I had only been comparing against the Volvo branded ones which were more $ still. So decided to try the IPDs. Now that I'm purchasing regularly from FCP, I think I would like to switch to the lifetime warranty support. Just don't want to have to pay the premium for the Volvo branded if one of the others is truly as good.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,359 Posts
I use Rein in 5 different cars and like their quality. Rein is part of the CRP family (includes Pentosin and ContiTech), which is a quality OE and OEM supplier for European cars. So, when it comes to quality OEM, I have had good experience with them.

If you have any doubts about quality with any brands, get the Volvo brand and it will still be covered under the FCP lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The Volvo blue box mounts didn't last a year before starting to tear for me, FWIW.

I like Rein as well. They're a sub-brand of a reputable company and all of the things I've bought from them seemed to be of high quality. I have no idea if they'd be any better or worse for spring seats, but they would have been next on my list of brands to try.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
This the car you put the insulators on under the spring seat? I've never been able to rip an OE seat up in a year of very active driving in a V8, reason I'm asking. IPD HD I can, but not OE- and that's on seats that got flexed pretty good by the Sport front spring before the car weight loaded the strut down and things squared up.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yep, one and the same. When I sold it they were starting to lift the cap and had very small rips starting to develop. Pretty annoying since I figured they would be the highest quality out there (then again, they may still be). I'm willing to bet it could be explained by a difference in driving style, like me not slowing down for speed bumps as much as you or something. It'd be interesting to see how different brands fare for different folks.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This the car you put the insulators on under the spring seat? I've never been able to rip an OE seat up in a year of very active driving in a V8, reason I'm asking. IPD HD I can, but not OE- and that's on seats that got flexed pretty good by the Sport front spring before the car weight loaded the strut down and things squared up.
My HEICO springs aren't particularly tight in my B4 Bilsteins, to the point that they wiggled out of the top perches after multiple trips up/down the hoist recently.

I will add the top and bottom insulators that I recently ordered in from eeuroparts and inspect the IPD HD spring seat to see how it's fared so far. It looked fine recently when I swapped to the B4 struts but the springs had walked out slightly after that.

But sounds like from your comment that even the OE springs may not sit fully tight before the car weight loads the struts down.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The OE springs most certainly fit very tight when the strut is assembled. You have to compress them down quite a bit just to get them to clear the top of the strut.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Non standard springs in a non-standard strut, this issue was reported a month or so back. Resolution to put some insulators to make up some space on the bottom and top and hope things snug up?

As far as the OE premature seat fail, way too soon to have had this issue (you did the insulators less than a year ago, right?). I'm not stuck on OE but they're beefy, I can't break them with my driving style, a V8 in the bay and Sport springs on the front. Very odd, how many miles before the failure occured and when you did the supper spring insulators, did you remove/replace the old seats or did it all go on new at the same time?

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,359 Posts
My HEICO springs aren't particularly tight in my B4 Bilsteins, to the point that they wiggled out of the top perches after multiple trips up/down the hoist recently.

Remember I talked about the Bilstein B4 Touring piston rod travel and how it is higher up in the range than the original struts. When I changed to B4 struts, the highest extension and lowest compression is about 1/2 in longer. This is a concern for bottoming out in lowering springs and could contribute to your loose Heico springs. The B4 strut piston rod travel is better suited for stock heights. The little extra extension reach might help in keeping the wheels on the ground with potholes on stock springs.

I have Rein spring perches on the Sport springs with the Bilstein Touring B4 struts and my spring perches are still in good shape.

·
Registered
819 Posts
As far as the OE premature seat fail, way too soon to have had this issue (you did the insulators less than a year ago, right?). I'm not stuck on OE but they're beefy, I can't break them with my driving style, a V8 in the bay and Sport springs on the front. Very odd, how many miles before the failure occured and when you did the supper spring insulators, did you remove/replace the old seats or did it all go on new at the same time?
Yep, it was almost exactly a year ago. Everything on the strut was brand new, down to the nuts and bolts. I didn't put a ton of miles on it, I would guess 3,000 or so. I used Sachs 30776718 for struts and blue box 30683637 for the seats, FWIW.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
...I have Rein spring perches on the Sport springs with the Bilstein Touring B4 struts and my spring perches are still in good shape.
Interested in seeing what you have for a suspension code with this car, any chance you can post the pass side rear b-pillar lower left hand alphanumeric string? Something like 311763525952, yours will be different.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,359 Posts
Interested in seeing what you have for a suspension code with this car, any chance you can post the pass side rear b-pillar lower left hand alphanumeric string? Something like 311763525952, yours will be different.
I started a thread on this about a year ago hoping for feedback when I started purchasing suspension components so I could blueprint my overall suspension upgrades to work harmoniously with original parts https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?578187-Suspension-code-Doing-front-struts-and-iPd-sways.

I measured my original sway bars and they were Sport sways, confirmed the same diameter with a set of Sport sways I purchased from a forum member and diameters listed in this post https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?304537-Can-somebody-measure-the-r-design-sway-bars. I measured using dial calipers.

I also used this post as one guide for the coding. https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...it-quot-sport-quot-trim-XC90-suspension-parts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Interesting, Sport/RD springs with a slightly different strut (AI), rear the same (nivo 26 vs nivo 48). Original sways were standard (6,9) before you replaced them, same as what's on my '05.

Thanks for providing the links.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Rein is an OEM with this part. That means they are an original equipment manufacturer. The manufacture original equipment (like Conti belts and Continental tires), but this part is not the part manufactured for Volvo. If it is identical to what is used on say a BMW or Audi, it would be OE for those cars.
The Sachs is the OE part. Sachs makes the part for Volvo.
Febi is Febi Bilstein.
My guess is the three are the same in different boxes. I posted something about 2.5 years ago when I refreshed the suspension in my S80. The part was in a Febi bos, and it was labeled SKF!

From the post I made in December 2016
Pair Lemforder Strut Mount, $48 Febi/Bilstein bearing (stamped SKF made in France) $33 RMEuropean.com
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?397945-How-NOT-To-Change-Front-Struts

FYI I bought a Behr radiator for my BMW off Amazon (scratched & dented box for $40 instead of $150) and it is branded Behr Hella.

·
Registered
515 Posts
As above, I had in my hands Rein - Fcpeuro sells them under the CRP brand, same company http://www.reinautomotive.com/au_reincrp.asp
Rein (or CRP) is the same as the genuine part sold now at the main Volvo dealer, only the 'volvo' name is scratched off. The part comes in a Rein stamped box

I believe now it's Rein/Crp manufacturing this part for Volvo

Sachs was manufacturing these for Volvo in the past, before Rein - but perhaps they are still doing them on their own because their are still selling these.

Now, the two parts, Sachs and Rein, are not exactly the same. Personally, I would rather trust more the Sachs which were good for at least 7-8 years. I had the Rein one and it was showing already a little line around the center sleeve. But again, that's what Volvo is selling now so the quality should still be good enough.

I talk a little about this here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpGd-_s46bw

1 - 18 of 18 Posts