SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,am looking to go to the 305mm set up on my 2005 s60 2.5t.. From researching this is for the fronts only and I will need brackets to go to bigger rotors.. OK,here's a question..the t5 has bigger rotors and looks like the s80 as well..so any difference in the caliper mount bracket between the two? And does any one have a set of 305 brackets to get rid of?
Ok now what if any difference on back rotors? And can I got bigger without complications? Have seen a few post but really nothing definitive on the subject
Thanks
Danno..

·
Registered
505 Posts
I know this wouldn't be an upgrade for me, the T5 comes with 305's, but isn't there also a 330mm option?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
There was a 320mm sport brake kit that Volvo discontinued. Most of the parts are still available individually aside from the caliper brackets (still available in Europe with a wait time).

·
Registered
505 Posts
There was a 320mm sport brake kit that Volvo discontinued. Most of the parts are still available individually aside from the caliper brackets (still available in Europe with a wait time).
Didn't know there was a sport kit upgrade. Thought it was sourced from like an XC90 or something.

So would there be advantage in the disc upgrade from 305 to 320mm, or would one be better served upgrading to R calipers?

My T5 bites exceptionally well, stainless lines, new master cylinder and booster, drilled discs and ceramic pads. Super quiet, and it stops on a dime, but for more spirited driving, a bit more bite wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
So there are people who have used the 316 or 336mm brakes off an XC90. You can also upgrade to R calipers and rotors on your P2 cars it's just that those are quite expensive. The parts for the 320 are definitely more cost-effective and Jan Ellwoth of wothrline.se claims that he liked the 320 brake kit better than the R brakes though I'm not sure why. http://www.wothrline.com/accessories/p2x_320mm_brakekit.htm

I have all the parts brand new (rebuilt calipers) for the 320 kit if anyone is interested. The parts would ship from Tucson, AZ (not Germany!). The rotors are not the Genuine Volvo ones but the Brembo equivalent with a fancy-schmancy UV coating. The calipers are rebuilt Volvo/ATE ones, caliper brackets are brand new, pads are brand new Volvo and are made by Textar I believe based on the Wothrline info, lines are brand new Volvo (though I'm not sure if the longer lines are absolutely needed).

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So,I'm running 17" s80 wheels on my 2.5t,is it feesable to go to the 316 mm xc rotor and brackets? Are the rotors 5x8 lug and same bore? And are the brackets bolt on? These are p2 based right? That would be like massive stopping power....r brakes?? Who in needs them!! Lol

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
So,am looking to go to the 305mm set up on my 2005 s60 2.5t.. From researching this is for the fronts only and I will need brackets to go to bigger rotors.. OK,here's a question..the t5 has bigger rotors and looks like the s80 as well..so any difference in the caliper mount bracket between the two? And does any one have a set of 305 brackets to get rid of?
Ok now what if any difference on back rotors? And can I got bigger without complications? Have seen a few post but really nothing definitive on the subject
Thanks
Danno..
If your calipers are of the age that they could use a rebuild anyways, then the cheapest option is to get a set of rebuilt 305 calipers from a local parts shop, since they come with the brackets included. Then just trade in your 286 brackets and calipers as the exchange set for the core charge. I got mine that way unintentionally.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
So,I'm running 17" s80 wheels on my 2.5t,is it feesable to go to the 316 mm xc rotor and brackets? Are the rotors 5x8 lug and same bore? And are the brackets bolt on? These are p2 based right? That would be like massive stopping power....r brakes?? Who in needs them!! Lol
Dannoman - did you get my PM?

·
Registered
485 Posts
The question is: why not?? Prices on a full R calipers and rotors has come down quite a bit lately. I put them on my '07 2.5T AWD, F and R (along with SS flex lines... don't for get those regardless of what you do) and it stops markedly better but not like it will throw you through the windshield. With 18" Pegs (heavier that the 17") the extra stop power does help. And it is a easy bolt on upgrade. Worth considering. IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts