SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 S40 needs new keys. They are 'stand-alone' keys, before the whole key fob/ integrated key/button things (wish I could convert). The rubber casing on the key is broken away, leaving the chip and key skeleton visible. Volvo wants $300 for a new key! What are my options?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Order a donor switchblade fob and a key blank off eBay. Have the key blank cut, swap the guts from your remote and the immobilizer "pill" from your dying key into the switchblade. MUCH cheaper...plus you get the switchblade. Win win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sigg is right. The best solution is to covert to a switch blade key. The key fob guts are interchangible into the switch blade fob. Get a use switch blade fob and just change the guts out. You could do this for under U$100. Do not break the transponder in the existing key. You will be hosed and will need a new key and programming. Glück.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I found that the ebay switchblades with empty remote bodies are cheap and don't hold up to the twisting action of turning the ignition. I ended up finding a used key at a junk yard, hacked it up to use the switchblade mechanism. If I had it to do over again I would probably buy an OEM switchblade head, and buy the empty remote body from ebay. You will end up with an oem quality switchblade but it will save you the high cost of the remote part.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts