SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have developed a pretty bad leak between my turbo and down pipe. The gasket had started blowing out, and a bolt has come loose and fell out... took it into a friends shop where he replaced the bolt until I can find a new gasket, but a week or so after the same one he replaced fell out again. As I see it I have a couple options.

1. I saw that some people just dont use a gasket and instead just use a special sort of locking bolt to prevent backing out, but this allows for more stretching of the bolt while its hot.

2. A new 3" down pipe gasket.

3. a new 2.5" down pipe gasket. Pretty sure this would work but would burn out the I.D. that's showing over time.

Anyone have any input on what they've done and maybe links do better quality gaskets?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Remflex gasket will seal that up. It compresses and seals all the little nooks and crannies. Worked like a charm on my R's cat-back exhaust flange and the turbo to DP flange on my custom 240 build. If they don't have your shape, you can get sheet material and cut one from scratch.

http://catalog.remflex.com/category_s/3.htm

As for fasteners, did you use lock nuts on the exhaust bolts? The ones that look ovoid before you put them on? Copper-plated steel version of those are an even better option. You may have to search for them, but they are self-locking and won't back off. I've never had one of those back off on its own.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Had the same issue. OBX gasket is garbage. Basically cardboard wrapped in tinfoil. I let mine go for so long that when I went to change it, only 1 bolt was left and it was basically finger tight.

I replaced it with the Volvo OEM steel gasket and it's been fine since. Unfortunately, I can't currently locate that gasket on ipd, Viva, or anywhere else...

EDIT- I THINK this is it. http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...-5-cylinder-Turbo/Gasket/1176152/8642449.html

It looks like that at least.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That remflex gasket material looks good, but I'm not seeing the correct shape for what I need. and its $36 for a sheet to cut myself.

Koyen, so that would work even with the 3" down pipe I'm guessing? the turbo outlet would be the 2.5"ID so it would match flush with that and show on the DP side? Because its metal though that won't really effect anything. I was thinking if I got a materal gasket and cut it to the 2.5, because its showing it would burn off whats exposed.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Use OEM steel Volvo

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,605 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
That remflex gasket material looks good, but I'm not seeing the correct shape for what I need. and its $36 for a sheet to cut myself.

Koyen, so that would work even with the 3" down pipe I'm guessing? the turbo outlet would be the 2.5"ID so it would match flush with that and show on the DP side? Because its metal though that won't really effect anything. I was thinking if I got a materal gasket and cut it to the 2.5, because its showing it would burn off whats exposed.
$36 for an insanely high quality gasket is too much to spend to solve this problem once and for all?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
13 xc60 r design, 09 xc90 v8 RD, 12 c70, 07.5 S60r
185 Posts
I had the same issue with my previous r...the downpipe flange wasn't flat and always seem to
Leak later down the road...took it off hit it with a board sander and never had a issue again

·
Registered
547 Posts
I bought a sheet of the remflex and cut out my own downpipe and catback gaskets.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
this is what I used when I installed the obx downpipe. no leaks and its been about 3 years now.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The OBX gasket doesn't belong on our cars. It's garbage.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I ordered the stock metal shim type gasket off FCP, thanks for all of the input guys! now about new bolts? T5 for life mentioned copper plated steel lock nuts, what about for the bolt?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
The nut is what backs off, not the bolt. As long as you have a high quality lock nut on there, you should be fine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought new lock nuts when I did mine, the decided to double nut them with the old ones since I already had them. So mine now has the new nuts on first, then the old ones to prevent the new ones from backing off.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well I ordered the stock metal shim type gasket off FCP, thanks for all of the input guys! now about new bolts? T5 for life mentioned copper plated steel lock nuts, what about for the bolt?
My metal shim gasket from FCP didn't work worth sh*t with the OBX. You really need something thicker since they don't always mate up perfectly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts