SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
I don't see how that is even possible.
Easily attainable.

If I kept my 940SE for the last 15 years and if it was my only car, I would be close to two million miles.

I know of a semi truck driver that logs 500k miles/year.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/re...mile-mark-1966-volvo-p1800s-article-1.1110752

At an average 50mph and 25mpg when Irv rolls that last 40,000 miles to FOUR MILLION MILES how many gallons of gas and how many hours in the driver's seat?

George Dill
A 50 MPH average is impossible. That would mean all highway driving. And he's on Long Island. I expect he may average 25 MPH. And 85 to 100K miles a year that means 3,400 to 4,000 hours a year. Even if you go to an average of 40 MPH which I find hard to believe that would mean 2,125 to 2,500 hours a year, thats almost 7 hours a day six days a week at the lower number. Hard to believe. If you go with 50 MPH and 100,000 miles is still 6.5 hours a day six days a week and thats with a 52 week year. And he says he does all the miles himself. Take a look at the computer on your car and see what your average speed is.

Then he mentions the maintenance records. How about what the cost per mile is. Of course the depreciation went to zero a long time ago, but I would still like to see what it costs to keep a car on the road for 3,000,000 miles. I presume if cost is no object and you can repair or replace everything on the car and keep it on the road, and I would presume you could keep a Yugo on the road for 3 MM if you were willing to rebuild the thing every 6 months.

Lastly crunch some numbers and see how many hours it might take that semi driver to do 500K. That 1,369 miles a day for 365 days a year. No days off, no sickness, no nothing. 65 MPH would mean 21 hours a day.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Looks like Irv is approaching 3 million miles, not 4 million.

In the early years Irv had a long commute to his school teacher job and once retired he hit the road to Volvo Meets.

Volvo Cars maintains the car and transports both Irv and his car to overseas events.

If you like, read through three pages containing Irv's Swedespeed posts...

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?26375-Chat-with-Irv-Gordon

George Dill

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Looks like Irv is approaching 3 million miles, not 4 million.

In the early years Irv had a long commute to his school teacher job and once retired he hit the road to Volvo Meets.

Volvo Cars maintains the car and transports both Irv and his car to overseas events.

If you like, read through three pages containing Irv's Swedespeed posts...

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?26375-Chat-with-Irv-Gordon

George Dill
So if he retired at 62 that makes it even harder to work the numbers. For the first 36 of the 46 years he has had the car, he had to work a job, how did he find time to work and still rack up the enormous mileage? George did I slip a decimal point somewhere. I was just working with what is said to be his current annual mileage. At 3,000,000 he is averaging 65,000 miles a year. If he has been retired 10 years and doing 100,000 miles a year, which is very hard to believe, that means he was doing 55,000 miles a year when he was working. If the school year is 180 days a 100 mile daily commute would only get you to 18,000 miles and leave 37,000 miles to do during the summer and weekends. I don't see how it is physically possible to drive 65,000 miles a year for 46 years. What am I missing. I'll go read the three pages of posts.

Now if Volvo maintains the thing for him. (Wish I could get that deal.) Volvo should have even better cost records than if Irv had kept the records himself, at least since Volvo took over. So Volvo what is the cost per mile? If the answer is $10 a mile, then I think it is a far less impressive story.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
From: http://www.volvocars.com/intl/top/about/news-events/pages/default.aspx?itemid=192
---------------------------------------------------
In 1998 with 1.69 million miles, he made the Guinness Book of World Records for most miles driven by a single owner in a non-commercial vehicle. In 2002, he drove the car's two-millionth mile down Times Square to national and international media attention.
--------------------------------------------------
Let's do the calcs at two million...

2002-1966=36 years to drive 2 million miles.

On average he drove 55,556 miles per year.

Let's say he drove the car everyday all 36 years which gives 152 miles per day.

Did I blow a decimal or two?

George Dill

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
From: http://www.volvocars.com/intl/top/about/news-events/pages/default.aspx?itemid=192
---------------------------------------------------
In 1998 with 1.69 million miles, he made the Guinness Book of World Records for most miles driven by a single owner in a non-commercial vehicle. In 2002, he drove the car's two-millionth mile down Times Square to national and international media attention.
--------------------------------------------------
Let's do the calcs at two million...

2002-1966=36 years to drive 2 million miles.

On average he drove 55,556 miles per year.

Let's say he drove the car everyday all 36 years which gives 152 miles per day.

Did I blow a decimal or two?

George Dill
No, I don't think you did (blow a decimal), and your 55,556 is the same as the 55,000 I backed into for the "pre-retirement" years. I suppose it is possible to drive 150 miles a day for 13,140 days, but it is hard to imagine. Say you missed a day, got sick during those 36 years, you would have to do 300 miiles the next day to make it up. But what about the next 1,000,000 miles in 10 years? Thats 275 miles a day for 3,650 days. I read the three pages, albeit, not very carefully. I didn't learn much, but I did pick up on "35,000 miles in a couple of months" which is 600 miles a day for 60 straight days. To do 600 miles a day even on interstates takes 11+ hours.

It also seemed like Mr. Gordon turned the record keeping over to someone else (Volvo?) at some point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts