SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a few questions for those who know more than I.

1. After the 3" downpipe was installed i can hear a increased noise that can best be described as a constant whooshing air sound under acceleration that's not the typical turbo whistling sound I've become rather attached to hearing. I can also still hear the turbo spooling up as well and down when i'm off the pedal. This wasn't a DIY job, I had my local Volvo (non-dealership) shop do the install.

It doesn't sound like a exhaust leak. I know what a true exhaust leak sounds like (or at least on a naturally aspirated engine) so im "pretty sure" this is not what’s happening. Sounds more like a leak from the compressor side. I know what that sounds like cause I've had to replace the section of pipe between the intercooler and the over engine charge pipe due to oil eating a huge hole in it.

I've checked everything from the compressor side of the turbo to the throttle body and everything is tight. I realize with the increased flow of the bigger downpipe more exhaust is able to move through the pipe, but i can't believe the roughly 1/2" increase in diameter and high flow cat would add that much more of a constant air whooshing sound to the exhaust. Boost in throttle response and additional torque makes up for it, just wanting to make sure it's "Normal".

Any thoughts?

If this is normal with the addition of the downpipe, has anyone ever tried wrapping the pipe with header tape to try and suppress any of the additional noise?

2. Also, looking at adding higher flow rate injectors. Everything ive read says "requires retuning". My question is will upgraded injectors not work at all until the ECU re-tune or can i at least get them installed and the car be drivable until i can get the ECU tuning done?

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Funny, I have this same problem on my 850 with the 3" stainless IPD exhaust. Sometimes I swear I hear an exhaust leak under hard acceleration, but I've checked everything ten times for tightness, and I can't detect any leaks at idle - nothing at the manifold, turbo, v-band exhaust clamps, or oxygen sensors.

It would be interesting to hear other reports about this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts