SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I went out inspecting motor mounts and suspension on the 2011 XC90 3.2L. One thing I noticed is that the trans torque rod bushings are nowhere near as rigid as I'd expect them to be. Almost like gummi-bear. Is this how the bushings should be?

I then realized that the question above might be moot. The bolts through the rubber bushings are way off their centers, which suggests that the whole engine/trans package is askew. If it's askew at rest, another mount must have failed. The mount in the passenger-side wheel well looks like it's riding a little low. So I suppose I'm going whole-hog, and replacing all of the mounts.

Hutchinson seems to be the brand that folks like best. Has anyone used IPD's poly transmission torque rod? Any noticeable NVH?

Any tips on motor mount replacement would be wonderful. I do have a HF engine cross bar, and I know folks here have used it with success on the XC90. Where are you guys placing it and lifting the engine?

Thanks as always!

-Ryan

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,298 Posts
The transmission torque mount does not have much tension or rubber inside of it. My understanding is it helps limit movement at extremes, not resist total movement. I didn't change mine, I added rubber to mine so it would resist movement more so than originally designed. I wouldn't want to use the iPd torque mount bushings for this application especially since 3.2 engines can transfer some of their idle vibrations at times into the cabin. Also, not sure the iPd ones fit the 3.2 torque mount.

I didn't use the upper engine hanger crossbar thingy. I used a 2x6 on a jack and raised the engine from the oil pan with the front on jack stands. This has been discussed before, but when raising the engine, all mounts have to be unbolted. The front, side, and upper mounts are not bad. The rear is a pain and you will need extensions, universal joints (flex elbows), and maybe sizes in both 1/2" and 3/8" so it fits. Be very careful with the rear mount so you don't hurt yourself when putting your hands between the raised engine and subframe. I used a 2nd jack I had as a back-up.

I used Hutchinson mounts and they work like stock. I haven't really heard of any issues either, except prehaps from making mistakes in installation. Like if the front mount is replaced and bolted, but the rear of the engine is raised to install the rear mount. This puts angle stress on the front mount and can break it. Thus, remember to keep the bolts off and/or loose when raising the engine.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I figured I'd probably be jacking the engine by the pan since it's a structural element... but I've a cross bar and cherry picker should push come to shove.

IPD indeed has a poly torque rod for the XC90 3.2. The other option is MTC or genuine. I'm going to give the poly a whirl. It's cheap enough to give a try, and easy enough to swap.

When I was under the car, I confirmed that my car has the 6th "mount": There's a torque rod on the driver's side underneath the upper one. Like the rear mount, that doesn't look to be much fun, either. :)

I pulled the trigger on all of the mounts this evening. Next weekend is the serpentine belt along with water pump and T-stat.

-Ryan

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,298 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IPD doesn't have Hutchinson trans torque rod for the 3.2L. Just MTC and Genuine. FCP has the Hutchinson for the 3.2L, but it's twice the price as the IPD poly mount.

-Ryan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
IPD indeed has a poly torque rod for the XC90 3.2. The other option is MTC or genuine. I'm going to give the poly a whirl. It's cheap enough to give a try, and easy enough to swap.
I'm in the same situation with my '08 3.2 XC90. I'm working towards replacing all the mounts and have been trying to decide between Hutchinson, genuine Volvo or IPD for the front transmission mount. It's such an easy swap out compared to the other mounts that, like you, I'm willing to take a chance on the IPD version since it is half the price of either Hutchinson or Volvo. Currently I can't find the equivalent Hutchinson mount much cheaper than the genuine Volvo part. I recall finding it significantly cheaper in the past but did not pull the trigger at the time. If it were one of the mounts that was harder to replace I'd pass on the IPD brand just because of labor if it was no good.

Keep the rest of us DIYers informed on how the IPD version performs after install and longer term. If I pull the trigger soon on the IPD version I will do the same within this thread.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I can't say for sure, but this sounds like the mount that Power flex has inserts for. I did that on the XC60 and it seems pretty effective. Cheap, too.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in the same situation with my '08 3.2 XC90. I'm working towards replacing all the mounts and have been trying to decide between Hutchinson, genuine Volvo or IPD for the front transmission mount. It's such an easy swap out compared to the other mounts that, like you, I'm willing to take a chance on the IPD version since it is half the price of either Hutchinson or Volvo. Currently I can't find the equivalent Hutchinson mount much cheaper than the genuine Volvo part. I recall finding it significantly cheaper in the past but did not pull the trigger at the time. If it were one of the mounts that was harder to replace I'd pass on the IPD brand just because of labor if it was no good.

Keep the rest of us DIYers informed on how the IPD version performs after install and longer term. If I pull the trigger soon on the IPD version I will do the same within this thread.
I should have an opinion on the IPD mount on Monday. I started in on all the mounts and torque rods this afternoon. Hope to finish tomorrow.

The original trans torque rod was toast. Completely. They're pretty iffy when in good condition.

As others on the forum have said, Hutchinson has the "Volvo" and the part number ground off of all the mounts. Funny to compare the original mounts to the Hutchinson mounts, and see where the Volvo specific stuff was removed.

Front mount was a doddle to replace. Definitely due.

Rear mount was a bear. It to was definitely due. I wound up running extensions and a wobble over the angle gear to get the bracket off the engine/trans. By mistake, I pulled an angle gear fastener out instead of a bracket screw. :facepalm: Needless to say, visibility is tough.

The 2011-on 3.2L's have a passenger side lower torque rod. This is easy in principle to do, but I had a big "stuck fastener" problem. I wound up using a breaker bar to crack it loose, and then worked it back and forth with penetrating oil from top and bottom. This was definitely due.

The upper torque rod was in the best condition of the lot, but the bushing on the engine end was a bit jiggly. No way to test this without pulling it off of the engine.

Tomorrow I'll get the passenger side mount swapped, and then get all of the torque rods installed.

-Ryan

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All finished. Took her for a quick spin. I can't say that the IPD trans torque rod has introduced any noticeable harshness/NVH. I was looking for it, but wasn't finding it.

I did find that whoever assembled it had one of the bolts in backwards. The "tail end" was hitting the trans. Easy enough to flip the problem bolt 180 degrees.

IPD has their own poly formula of a softer durometer that they make some "longevity" parts out of. I wonder if this is the same stuff.

Anyhoo, my initial impression is that the IPD mount is a win. IPD is much cheaper than FCP for all of the mounts.

-Ryan

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,298 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Might give it a try since I did a backyard bushing add with whatever leftover rubber I had in the garage. Affordable enough.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It'd be great if someone did *only* the torque rod and could offer an opinion. More apples to apples. I changed everything, so it may not be a fair comparison.

I will say that after all the work, the car seems more "composed" when accelerating.

-Ryan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts