SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2008 v70 3.2L engine has a seized crankshaft bearing. The vehicle has been driven 125,000 km mainly on the highway and is out of warranty. The bearing turned and damaged the aluminum block. The whole engine has to be replaced. I understand this was not the first time this has happened. I sounder if this is a design fault?

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Were your cam seals leaking prior to the bearing failure? Leaking cam seals are fairly common on the 3.2 in both Volvo and Land Rover applications.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
That's about 77,000 miles.

If your car has always been dealer serviced, you should be able to get some goodwill from Volvo.

·
Registered
83 Posts
No offense meant here but how would leaking cam seals affect a crankshaft bearing? An external case seal on the top end of the motor shouldn't have any affect on oil pressure to the main bearings. Assuming the car had regular oil changes and was not run low on oil, it sounds like a faulty bearing, in which case they owe you.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I agree, don't think the cam seal has anything to do with this issue.

I think the issue is much more to do with "what kind of oil were you using", and how often was it changed?
There is always a chance the motor was a lemon, but if it ran 125,000 miles it apparently was put together well.

P

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
125k kilometers which is about 77k miles.

The 3.2's, when they blow their cam seals, leak pretty significant amounts of oil. I can see oil loss spinning a bearing.

I've seen it before.

·
Registered
719 Posts
So wondering what the outcome for the OP was?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hope Volvo will do the right thing.

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
No offense meant here but how would leaking cam seals affect a crankshaft bearing?.
Leaking cam seals are a known issue with the 3.2 engine. That's why Land Rover doesn't use them any more. Its certainly within the realm of possibility that a cam seal or two could leak badly enough or long enough to cause an oil starvation problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Leaking cam seals are a known issue with the 3.2 engine. That's why Land Rover doesn't use them any more. Its certainly within the realm of possibility that a cam seal or two could leak badly enough or long enough to cause an oil starvation problem.
You mean if it were run out of oil? Anyone who runs one of these engines out of oil from cam seal leaks would have to be oblivious to the loss of several qts on the ground, the smell of oil on exhaust, etc, not to mention negligent by not checking the oil level. I suppose it's possible but I'm guessing they just didn't change the oil frequently enough although there's also a possibility of bad bearing material causing a failure which can also happen.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
What are the symptoms of a leaking cam seal, if we have "seen these before" then we know what to look for and how to diagnose the symptom.

If this is a "regular occurrance" does Volvo have a recall or bulletin to address the issue?

Also, a "leaking cam seal" is one thing, and a "blown cam seal" is something entirely different.

Also my experience with Volvo (and it is pretty extensive over a lot of years and cars) is they will gladly change your oil and check the box on the warranty card, but they seem to use a cheaper mid range oil product than a premium product.

Also I am wondering about driving habits too, whether these people would ever admit to poor habits is one thing, but driving fast on a cold motor is not wise, excessively dirty oil is another thing, and cheap oil is horrible. I use a Mobil-1 synthetic, and I am sure there are many other fine products that exceed what the dealer will dump in for the "oil change". If you get your oil changed at the Jiffy Lube locations, good luck knowing what they dumped in.

I am very interested in knowing what symptoms one might encounter, and what preventative maintenance recommendations Volvo has for this apparant issue.

best,

P

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Also my experience with Volvo (and it is pretty extensive over a lot of years and cars) is they will gladly change your oil and check the box on the warranty card, but they seem to use a cheaper mid range oil product than a premium product.
Actually, I would have to say that Volvo themselves has been very lax on their oil specifications throughout history....due to this, most dealers are putting in the right oil and always have been.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Recall issued in Uk states "sudden lower engine failure" and " unexpected" in the same sentenance. Specifies models but not years or engines. Epidemic?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Am working on finding and converting to pdf...could email you the file. Pm me your email.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Google search R/2012/056 volvo recall might get you what you need.

·
Registered
661 Posts
The recall there for the 3.2 looks like it's for very recently produced vehicles and a clear range affected.

I had this at an OEM I worked for where a supplier made a mistake with crankshaft production and the affected vehicles had new cranks fitted pre-delivery.

Seems similar and Volvo has tracability on the batch of new vehicles affected. The UK recall specifies the chassis numbers of the UK sold vehicles affected.

I dont think the original poster of this thread is a similar thing since his engine failed after 125,000km and we have no details of the cause. Just the consequence ie a spun bearing. Was his oil pump in good shape?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The OP hasn't been back....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts