SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 XC90 3.2l bought new from Volvo dealer in 2015. It is still under warranty with 28,200 miles currently on the vehicle, during the last 8200 miles I have added 4 quarts of oil to the motor. There are no visible oil leaks just excessive oil consumption. The Dealer has had it for the last month I have been informed that they have gone into the motor, to what degree I'm not sure, and have taken pictures and sent them to Volvo for diagnoses. I have just been informed that Volvo's recommendation to fix the problem is to reseal the valve cover. Does anyone have any experience with this repair? I am not an automotive technician but I don't see how resealing the valve cover will fix the problem when it's not leaking oil on the exterior of the motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ours would probably go the 12000 kms (7000mi) oil change interval but I add about a half liter at 8 or 9k kms so yours definitely has a problem.

I had a 67 Ford Fairlane 289 that had a lot of blow by because all the rings were lined up and not spaced correctly but even that one I don't remember using a lot of oil.

On another Ford early seventies vintage pickup and fresh off the lot I see clouds of smoke coming off it. After pulling the engine apart a few times they decide to let it run and observe. Finally oil starts spurting out of a hole in the block right onto the exhaust pipe. They fixed that one with some kind of glue.

Somebody told me a story of a guy complaining of no power. They weren't going to do anything for him but in the end it was determined that the engine had no rings at all.

Like you say if the valve cover is not leaking I doubt that it has anything to do with your oil consumption. I would though have a compression check done. Your engine is barely broke in so if compression is not up to new engine specs IMO the engine should come out. Also, observe the spark plugs to see if they are clean or not.

You could have someone follow the car at different speeds up and down hills to see if there is any blue smoke which would indicate oil is getting into one or more of the combustion chambers.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The valve cover on the 3.2 is the airbox on the top of the engine. It is an integrated PCV. I think their thought on this may be that the breather has failed, allowing pressure to build causing blow by. You are still under warranty, so I say let them try it. Next step is piston rings, final step is motor.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have a 2014 XC90 3.2l bought new from Volvo dealer in 2015. It is still under warranty with 28,200 miles currently on the vehicle, during the last 8200 miles I have added 4 quarts of oil to the motor.
I guess I'll stop worrying... Mine has 156,000 miles and I have to add a quart every 3000 miles... I replaced the PCV box recently but it didn't help.

There is a really long service bulletin on this. Lots of tests and photos involved. The dealer is probably working through it step by step.

·
Registered
505 Posts
All I can think of at the moment is that there are only three ways for oil to get into the cylinder. Intake, valve stem seals or up through the rings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the information it is very much appreciated. Thank you GGLEAVITT for the TJ link, that really explains what the Dealer is doing. Thank you again.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
The valve cover on the 3.2 is the airbox on the top of the engine. It is an integrated PCV. I think their thought on this may be that the breather has failed, allowing pressure to build causing blow by. You are still under warranty, so I say let them try it. Next step is piston rings, final step is motor.
Close. The valve cover is actually the whole cam cover. The PCV attaches on top of the cam cover.

The dealer had to remove the cam cover to send pictures to Volvo because some had failed sealant which allowed oil to leak into the passages used by the PCV in the cam cover, causing oil to be burned. So that is why resealing the cam cover may repair an oil consumption issue with no external leaks.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Close. The valve cover is actually the whole cam cover. The PCV attaches on top of the cam cover.

The dealer had to remove the cam cover to send pictures to Volvo because some had failed sealant which allowed oil to leak into the passages used by the PCV in the cam cover, causing oil to be burned. So that is why resealing the cam cover may repair an oil consumption issue with no external leaks.
good to know. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
When I was looking at a '12 XC60 3.2L, it was noted on CarFax that engine was checked a few different times. I called the servicing dealer, who told me it was for oil consumption. He told me they replaced the pistons/rings to address the issue, and it was resolved after that.

I'd like to think that issues was resolved by '14, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Just seeing this.
Was / is this issue something Volvo will cover or at least discount if it manifest itself?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I believe Volvo is only fixing them if they're under warranty. Original owners out of warranty may get some financial assistance from Volvo, but it's hard to say if or how much. The XC60 I mentioned above was in several times, but didn't finally get the pistons/rings done until the CPO warranty was getting close to expiring. I didn't ask what band-aids they tried to make the owner happy before finally just fixing it right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts