SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchase 13 XC70 3.2 for my dad and we found low power steering fluid in reservoir. I did find a large amount on top of the transmission. I have watched a few videos about replacing the pump. Not fun.

Everything seems ok with steering, no noise, just a little bit of play at 12:00.

Question: is it common to have internal leak with these pumps? I’m hoping it’s just a hose or leak from vacuum pump.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Those hoses are not well manufactured. I ended up replacing both when I chased down a ps leak on the passenger side. They tend to leak at the seam between the rubber and the steel sections. Mine ended up spewing fluid all over control arm, subframe, ps boot, etc. Once I replaced both hoses, no more leaks. I had a devil of a time disconnecting the return hose from the rack as it’s one of this push fittings that “apparently” can be disconnected using a little plastic insert. I ended up giving up and asking a mech at the local dealership for advice. He took one look at the replacement hose and rolled his eyes. Said that when they disconnect them at the dealership it ends up being a two person job to pry the hose off! I ended up using a pipe cutter strategically placed at the very end to remove it. Easy to do once you know what to do.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
273 Posts
@bigtimemcalpine: I also had a return line start leaking on the pass side (Canadian model). It was leaking between the steel crimp collar and rubber section as you suggested. I did manage to get the quick-connect fitting to disconnect using a disconnect tool but it was a giant pain in the ass and I considered trying to find a way to cut it off more than once.

When I got it apart (took the quick-connect off the steel line) I cut the quick-connect fitting apart and put the rubber hose back over the steel line (which the quick-connect used to attach to) and used a worm-gear hose clamp before and after the 'lip' (the 'male' part of the quick-connect assembly on the steel line). I had to file the 'lip' down a bit to make it small enough to get the rubber hose to slide over it. There isn't a lot of pressure in the return line and I hoped it would hold and not leak and so far so good.

Those quick-connect lines seem to be good for assembly at the manufacturer's plant but terrible for everything else. I guess that's not really fair as this one did last over ten years and 320k kms but still I don't see why it's acceptable for the fitting to fail before the hose does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: I was able to take a day off and fix everything. The leak was from the vacuum pump. I went ahead and flushed the ps fluid and found the oil over filled by a quart.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Update: I was able to take a day off and fix everything. The leak was from the vacuum pump. I went ahead and flushed the ps fluid and found the oil over filled by a quart.
A quart? Wow that’s a lot of extra ps fluid! Did it make a mess of your reservoir?

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

1 - 7 of 7 Posts