SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go again ;) (in all seriousness....hope this does not turn into another 3.2vsV8 slug-fest!)

Just curious as to what the on board computer indicates that you are getting as an average for city and highway driving. I am usually hovering right around 18mpg.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
OK, I'll crash in with my 2.5T. 20.7 miles/gal on the board, but manual figuring gives me about 21.5 miles/gal.

·
Registered
262 Posts
In our 3.2 with 91 octane, computer averages between 18.5-19.5 depending on the driving mix.

Over a 7+ hour 372 mile trip yesterday we computer-averaged 22.6 with:

1. roughly 80% highway driving at average speed of about 70mph (58 mph trip-computer overall average)
2. 6 passengers (including driver) and full load of luggage
3. blasting air-conditioner (including rear)
4. 50/50 blend of 89 and 93 in the tank as no 91 was available at the stations at which we filled-up

For reference our R-class diesel (which is bigger and heavier) would have gotten somewhere between 27-30mpg under the same circumstances. But it probably would have thrown a check-engine light and had a $1200 repair bill pop-up sometime on the trip though, effectively negating the fuel efficiency savings!

·
Registered
199 Posts
2006 V8
Mid grade 89 octane unless prices entice me to use super
21mpg or 10.9L/100km mixed mostly rural/hwy driving
14-15L/100km towing 2000ish lb boat or enclosed trailer

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I'd tell you, but this question has been asked so many times, the answers are in so many other posts. And most likely somebody will keep asking this $#@#@###ing ridiculous, non comparable question because everybody drives differently, has a different definition of "city", or is constantly resetting their trip computer so that they keep seeing numbers they like, or they are hand calculating and somehow are measuring the gas going into their car to the ounce, and on, and on, and on.

I don't understand why every forum doesn't have one single sticky MPG thread at the top.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Peng, you make me feel great about my 16.5 mpg per the computer. I commute about 4 miles a day and there are about 10 stop lights along the commute. There is nothing quite like getting 4500 lbs moving only to bring it to a complete stop a short distance later. I should walk or bike to work but I am just to lazy and it is just too HOT (95 F 85% RH) here in Columbia, I would have to shower at work and home, for me to start now. I do try to take the car out for extended drives a couple times a month to get every thing up to temp for an extended period so that the oils do not collect too much water.

·
Registered
171 Posts
2008 V8
Long trips on highway = 21mpg
Around town = 15-16
Average if I don't reset computer for a few months = 17

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
2012 3.2 AWD R-Design
- 352 miles mostly highway, VA to NC
- 2 adults, 2 kids, fully packed trunk and a loaded Weekender cargo box
- 65-70 mph
- 20" Cratus wheels with Pirelli Scorpions set to 35psi
- 93 Octane
---------------
21 mpg

·
Registered
564 Posts
17 MPG (with 91/93 octane).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought our 08 3.2 last week and drove it from Miami to North Alabama and averaged 23.9 for the 700+ mile trip according to the computer. I was actually very impressed by that. My back of the napkin calculation with each fill up showed similar numbers based on miles traveled / gallons purchased since previous fillup. I havent driven it since I turned it over to the wife, but I believe she said she is averaging just below 19 (I reset the computer) with mostly city driving.

·
Registered
203 Posts
On the highway if I can keep the RPM below 2000 which would be around 70mph for my 2007 V8. I get every bit of 22 to 23mpg. That is with a complete Thule Aero Bar roof rack and bike rack on roof.

I willing to bet if I/they make a CAI (Cold Air Intake) I can get closer to 25 or 26 MPG. The V8 MPG is incredible for the size and weight of this car.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
I always got better mileage in my 2008 V8 than I did in my 2007 3.2.

·
Registered
12 Posts
3.2 on trip from LA to Vail, CO-900 miles almost all highway going 70 to 80 mph, 24.5 mpg by trip computer on least expensive gas, 85-87 octane.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts