SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about selling my 2010 Colorado and getting a used XC90 to haul the three very young grand kids around, thus the need for the third row of seats. I am keeping the range from $7k to $9k with mileage under 125K or so. There are three options available in my area, 2/5T 3.2 and 3.2 special edition.

Here are my concerns;

safety
reliability
fuel efficiency

What are the pros and cons on the three options?

Thanks for any helpful information.

·
Registered
523 Posts
2.5t hands down.

I have an 06 xc90 2.5t and an 09 xc70 3.2

the 3.2 is a complete dog in acceleration and very thristy compared to the 2.5t. if you can get a 2.5t with all the records (synthetic oils is a must) then you are probably better off with that.

·
Registered
396 Posts
1+,

I asked the same question last year and ended up with 2.5T engine because:
- I can replace the timing belt myself. I know the 5-cylinder engine very well.
- The Aisin trans in the 2.5T is robust.
I have 95K miles now, zero issues.

The discussion between 2.5 vs 3.2 is in this thread:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=379907

There is a way to decode the VIN number to tell if you have 5-seat or 7-seat version.

·
Registered
279 Posts
3.2, only because you can't get the 2.5 in the face-lifted version. 155k+ miles on my 2007 3.2 and no issues.

-- DavidV :D

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I would go with the 2.5.. Well, I did get a 2.5. But when buying used, it boils down to budget, and availability. What's around you and what condition is they are in. I'm glad i found what I did because it's been great.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Positive replies for the most part, it doesn't appear that the 3.2 is something to stay away from unless possibly in high altitudes. I am familiar with the 2.5T as my C70 has one so I can vouch for that one. Let me pose another question. What are the prime reasons you purchased your XC90 over other more popular 3 row seating brands? As mentioned, I am a Chevy and Volvo owner. I understand that safety is the major one for many, anything else?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Positive replies for the most part, it doesn't appear that the 3.2 is something to stay away from unless possibly in high altitudes. I am familiar with the 2.5T as my C70 has one so I can vouch for that one. Let me pose another question. What are the prime reasons you purchased your XC90 over other more popular 3 row seating brands? As mentioned, I am a Chevy and Volvo owner. I understand that safety is the major one for many, anything else?
Because it has had any exceptionally long production run, so it is easy to keep even an older model looking current. Also, it was the least SUV/truck-like option, and I wanted something that had more of a Euro wagon vibe to it. Here's mine:

-- DavidV :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, those are good reasons. Nice pic of your ride. Do you XC90 owners love your rides? Would you buy another if the situation presented itself for various reasons?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I would buy a stick if they offered it. That's my main complaint with the xc90

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I purchased mine because we are a Volvo family and have had very good experiences. Went with Volvo after the birth of our twins and wanted a safe car.

In total we've owned three: the S70 (just sold for 2X blue book value with 175,000 miles in mint condition), a 2002 XC70 Cross Country, and our recently acquired 2007 XC90 V8.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
We purchased ours because she wanted to sit high, and I wanted a car. Since the XC90 is not a truck, and she liked it we bought it. As for the facelift, etc. That's all bunk when buying a used car. Buy the best car you can find for your money (see below). We bought the best we could find at the time (2008). The local dealer was getting a well optioned 2006 2.5 as a trade, she liked it, that was when the car had 23k on it. Now 100k miles later with regular semi synthetic oil changes it is still fine. YMMV.

In September someone towing a trailer took the side of my 79k mile E39 540i Sport Manual (the one with a lot of M5 stuff). She who must be obeyed "recommended" I replace it with a slushbox. Since a BMW automatic is about as inspiring to drive as a Volvo automatic she decided I needed an S80. Two cars passed my scrutiny. One was from a guy three miles from me had a 2009 T6 with 72k miles. The other was from a guy twenty miles from me had a 2007 V8 with 59k miles. I bought the one that offered the most value. in te XC90 you will hear how great the 2.5 or 3.2 is. You will also hear horror stories. It comes down to condition, maintenance, records, etc. Once more YMMV.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm also curious about this. I would think the 3.2 would be better in the long run due to the lack of complexity, but that's only an assumption.
The 2.5T is far less complex than the 3.2.

2.5 is a basic 5cyl with a turbo.

3.2 has:
Adaptive intake manifold
Dual lobe intake cam lifters
Rear End Aux Drive
etc

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really get the part on car versus truck. I have two trucks, 13 Silverado and that Colorado. The C70 is a weekend or DW car for the most part. I am ready for a vehicle that seats seven that you don't need a nerf bar to get in (those with shorter legs), something you can park more easily, car like ride, and can safely transport the family.

I do like the step up from the run of the mill cars that Volvo offers in material and overall safety performance. From what all of you generously offered, it appears that the XC90 has a good reputation with both engines. I hope to find the best overall deal to be one with the 2.5T though. Thanks for the informative, thoughtful responses, great bunch here at SS.

If they did make one with a stick, I would not hesitate. I think that the XC70 had that option, maybe not.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I would love to get a diesel Colorado but they don't make it in stick. The only thing they do now is the frontier and Tacoma it seems

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have owned both a 2.5T and a V8 XC90. Both are great motors: the 2.5T is actually better for around town driving, and the V8 does better on the open road. Both get decent fuel mileage for an AWD car of this size (way better than any other brands I have considered). I would not hesitate to get another 2.5T or V8 again. As for the 3.2, I drove one for a day as a loaner - it seemed under powered and dull. Personally, I think the decision should be 2.5T or V8, but that is just me. ;)

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
763 Posts
Back when I was in the market for one or the other, both seemed good but the 2.5 seemed a bit more reliable from hours of forum reading here; perhaps also due to the greater age of the model, the highest mileage posters were typically 2.5t owners.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Drove the 2.5T and bought a 3.2, but that's because the deal was right. I'm thinking that in the long run the 3.2 may be a bit more rugged, but the 2.5T had a more interesting sound. As others have alluded to, the 3.2 is kind of "boring". I don't feel that it's underpowered, but i'm not trying to tow a giant trailer either.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
If I wanted to tow a big trailer, I would buy a Dodge Ram or f150.. At 5 or 6k a tranny, euro cars aren't meant to tow.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts