SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the wifes' 2010 in for the complimentary 37.5k service and inquired as to why I was a half qt lo? I informed the service writer I changed the oil myself in between the 7500 recomended miles! At p/u the following was written on the sales slip " customer states car uses oil ck for software...about 1 qt lo on stick, between 7500 mi interval. It is ok and within the proper specs & level no leaks found no repair needed, the car will normally use a small amount of oil in between changes as the oil breaks down" WTF??? I told them I do in between oil changes using the same oil the dealer does 8qt castrol synblend!!! Sounds like 7500 miles is a wee too far for non synthetic oil, also sounds as tho they know the 3.2 is an oil consumer! I will be keeping a closer eye, did not think I had to in a new car that I change oil in every 3250 miles!!!I RESERVE MY CHECKING TO THE 05 v-70 WITH 120K ON HER, SHE USES NO OIL AT ALL ON 5K INTERVALS WITH MOBIL 1!!!! JHW

·
Registered
770 Posts
Are you checking the oil right after driving? For some reason it takes a **long** time for oil to drain back down to the sump after these engines are shut down. If you check right after driving, it could easily look a half quart or more lower than it will 20 or 30 minutes later. I have seen this myself, and there is a TSB that describes the same thing. The "real" oil level is what you see after letting the car sit for a while, and if you accidentally overfill (because reading the level is so tricky) then it will burn oil.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Oil consumption is a huge issue on 3.2's. it's one of the biggest reasons LR scrapped the motor in favor of the EcoBoost 2.0 in the LR2.

·
Registered
723 Posts
No oil consumption for me at 52k miles. Our van has a notoriously consuming engine as well, 3.8 Chrysler and we luckily do not have the issue at 28k miles, some have had top end rebuilts already. both get 5000 mile OCI using Amsoil OE oil. not stating it is a solution but my 98 Chevy consumes no measurable oil either.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
My wife owned a 2007 3.2 for 25,000+ miles and had no oil consumption between 3000 mile oil changes. I would lean more toward what zircular said.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear you, this issue was brought to my attention by THE DEALER, I wasnt even checking the 2010s oil, due to the fact I shortened the interval to 3250! I do regularly check the 05s' oil, and it is always after overnite sitting!! JHW

·
Registered
770 Posts
This is a pretty serious long shot, but have you checked for a brake booster vacuum pump oil leak? Mine wasn't leaking that much (a few drops per day maybe) but I'm told it isn't uncommon. The pump is driven off of a camshaft and once the seals start to go, oil gets into the pump and eventually makes it out through the vac fitting. The pump is the metal "box" thing on the driver's side (in the US) of the valve cover with one black vacuum hose that runs back to the fire wall. If you shine a flashlight straight down from the pump to the top of the trans, all you should see is clean-ish or at least dry metal. If you see oil, that could be your problem.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zircular, the car is under warranty, I did notice that the daeler added brake fluid in the invoice as a no charge item, I will look there and perhaps this may be an answer! Thank you and I will post if issue gets resolved!! JHW

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Oil consumption is a huge issue on 3.2's. it's one of the biggest reasons LR scrapped the motor in favor of the EcoBoost 2.0 in the LR2.
There was a thread several months/years ago where a dealer service department intentionally added an extra quart of oil to all 3.2's because they knew that this engine was an oil pig.........and they didn't want to deal with the customer complaints for low oil.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Zircular, the car is under warranty, I did notice that the daeler added brake fluid in the invoice as a no charge item, I will look there and perhaps this may be an answer! Thank you and I will post if issue gets resolved!! JHW
Vacuum pump failure doesn't have anything to do with brake fluid. It's just a pump that draws vacuum for the booster instead of connecting a vac line to the intake manifold. It is actually bolted to the engine, and has both a gasket and a shaft seal that keep engine oil where it is supposed to be. The shaft seal can fail, in which case oil leakage results. Mine didn't leak fast enough for oil to make it to the garage floor, but it was all over the transmission case and belly pan so I guess it could have amounted to a measurable quantity between oil changes. Also, it only leaked while the engine was running which probably had something to do with not seeing drips on the floor.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gotcha Zircular, I will have my indie look it over on next oil change in 3250 or so miles, and I will keep a close eye on the dipstick! JHW

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey G, I did a search Volvo TSB search and found nothing on 2010 S-80 and oil consumption, can you provide a link? Thanks JHW

1 - 14 of 14 Posts