SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for an inexpensive car for 16 year old sibling.

Local shop has a 2004 t6 with 174k miles. Car has a bad trans. With salvage yard trans installed, shop will take $3,000 for the vehicle including parts and labor. trans has a 12 month warranty.

I know the t6 transmission by GM is garbage.

Car is clean and in good shape as far as we can tell.

We are getting a used trans, not a new one. Warranty would cover replacement trans but not the $600 labor the shop charged to put it in.

Did the t6 have other major issues than just the transmission? Trying to decide if this is a decent gamble or whether we should just try to find a decent 2nd gen xc70 for the same
Money. She needs something AWD to get up the hill on their street, and all $3k cars are gonna have issues (i.e., Subarus with Head gaskets, etc). The nice thing is she only needs to put 5k miles (total) on this vehicle over the next 3 years.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Depends on how quick you need the car and what's available in your area. I see a lot of s60 awds in the 3-4k range with 100 to 120k on them near me, and that's probably the route I would go if I needed something cheap

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
Looking for an inexpensive car for 16 year old sibling.

Local shop has a 2004 t6 with 174k miles. Car has a bad trans. With salvage yard trans installed, shop will take $3,000 for the vehicle including parts and labor. trans has a 12 month warranty.

I know the t6 transmission by GM is garbage.

Car is clean and in good shape as far as we can tell.

We are getting a used trans, not a new one. Warranty would cover replacement trans but not the $600 labor the shop charged to put it in.

Did the t6 have other major issues than just the transmission? Trying to decide if this is a decent gamble or whether we should just try to find a decent 2nd gen xc70 for the same
Money. She needs something AWD to get up the hill on their street, and all $3k cars are gonna have issues (i.e., Subarus with Head gaskets, etc). The nice thing is she only needs to put 5k miles (total) on this vehicle over the next 3 years.

Don't even mess with the salvage yard transmission. Drop the one out of it and buy a stage 1 kit from Triple Edge Performance and rebuild it. http://shop.tripleedgeperformance.com/Triple-Edge-Performance-4T65E-Complete-Kits_c10.htm

It should be fine after that.

·
Registered
473 Posts
16 year old in a SUV?

I'd take the XC 70 in a heartbeat. All the safety and better viewing angles. The XC90 has some big blind spots. Inexperienced driver = accidents

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I'm just trying to figure out if getting 3-4000 into a 174k mile t6 is a wise idea, or if I should keep looking. Seems like 4-5k buys a pretty nice xc70 with less miles.
174k miles is a lot on an S80 T6 besides the trans, if it has not been well cared for it will need a lot to get it back in shape again. It might be a good project if that's what you're looking for, otherwise look for a lower mileage car.

Most people aren't willing to keep these cars in top shape at that age/mileage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
174k miles is a lot on an S80 T6 besides the trans, if it has not been well cared for it will need a lot to get it back in shape again. It might be a good project if that's what you're looking for, otherwise look for a lower mileage car.

Most people aren't willing to keep these cars in top shape at that age/mileage.
It's a 2004 XC90 with the T6 engine:)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
If 3ks your budget, I see a lot of Subarus going for 1500, and even if you had to do the head gasket you'd still be under budget.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
I paid $3000 for my 2005 XC90 T6 with 119,000 miles...perfect tranny too. It was a friendly deal from an in-law...but I'd advise you to keep looking, investing in a car with a known bad tranny can only mean more money and hassle than you'd expect. Maybe $2000...

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Oops my bad. Xc90 or s80, still going to need a lot at that mileage.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Do others agree with me that the OP is approaching this while first car thing bass ackwards? Instead of picking a make and model and then looking for one in the hoopdie price range, I would enlist adults. My neighbor just traded in his 57k mile manual transmission 20 year old special edition miata with a factory hardtop. he got a whopping $3500. I would have given him $5000, called my brother back east and been on my way to pick him up at the airport within a week.

The reason I'm not too upset is because deals like that happen all the time. I bought my 76K mile E39 V8 Manual from a guy over a breakfast. He said he was trading it in.

Instead of looking for a car, listen to people you and your family know. Someone is getting ready to trade their older well maintained car in. If your sister was a car person, which she obviously isn't since a bloated station wagon (yes that's what the XC90 is) is in the running, then look for the deal on the most reliable car you can find. A salvage title with a junkyard transmission would not be something I would let my daughter drive as her first car, and my daughter at ten knew how to add washer fluid - which is more than I can say about the 17 year old boy next door. She also knows how to change a tire, and change the oil. Can you sister do that? Throwing the kid a cell phone and AAA card may work, but it isn't the solution.

As an aside, I told my daughter that her car has two requirements. Two doors and a manual transmission. Two doors = less chance of a rear seat passenger distracting her. Manual transmission means less chance of a phone distracting her. Have your parents mull that one over before getting a seven seat party car.
I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20
So hurry up and bring your jukebox money...

Hop in my Chrysler, it's as big as a whale
And it's about to set sail!
I got me a car, it seats about 20 so come on!
And bring your jukebox money.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I got my 04 xc90 2.5 with 145k for 600 bucks, put about 800 bucks worth of suspension, tires, and other small things into it, and its fine. My friend just wanted rid of it cause she was paying too much money to have it repaired. It has every oil change and repair precious to the last 2 years at volvo, and drives like new. I wouldn't buy a car with that many miles on it as a daily driver for myself nevermind my teenage sister. I see people on here paying 10s of thousands of dollars for cars with over 100k on them and I think that's just a little crazy, when their questions show that they know nothing about the cars. But to each their own. I've been waiting to find a few different cars, either an awd s60 stick with under 100k, a straight 6 jeep stick, or dakota quad cab... If anything good pops up that's a good deal I'll be on it, but we have 2 cars right now and I work from home so I'm not desperate to find just anything. If my sister needed a car now, I too wouldn't be looking for one specific model, I'd be looking at many different cars trying to find something the most reliable for the least amount of money, that fits their abilities and purpose. Who knows it could be an mdx or outback. Depends on what's near you. Volvos can get expensive very fast, and if budget is your main concern, and you're not planning on being her personal mechanic, I would look elsewhere.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Boy, I would have snagged that Miata for $3500, LOL:)

I'm 24 years senior to this younger sister, so this ain't my first rodeo, ha ha. :))

Your idea is valid, and is always in the forefront of my mind. If there's anyone I know who's selling a vehicle that is something I could find a use for in my family somewhere, I'm always first in line. Right now, nobody's got anything decent worth buying, so we're in the market for something.

I (and my parents) want her in something safe........we're in rural Northern Michigan, and the street they live on has a 15% grade, so putting her in a 10 year old Civic isn't an option. Needs AWD, decent ground clearance, and needs to be something safe. My first choice was an FZJ80 Land Cruiser, but I can't find a decent one nearby. Otherwise, Volvo XC70/90, E46 BMW iX, early Touareg, etc. Yeah, these all cost more to repair than a Honda, but we're after safety.

:):):)

I'm passing on this XC90, and still looking for something.......

Do others agree with me that the OP is approaching this while first car thing bass ackwards? Instead of picking a make and model and then looking for one in the hoopdie price range, I would enlist adults. My neighbor just traded in his 57k mile manual transmission 20 year old special edition miata with a factory hardtop. he got a whopping $3500. I would have given him $5000, called my brother back east and been on my way to pick him up at the airport within a week.

The reason I'm not too upset is because deals like that happen all the time. I bought my 76K mile E39 V8 Manual from a guy over a breakfast. He said he was trading it in.

Instead of looking for a car, listen to people you and your family know. Someone is getting ready to trade their older well maintained car in. If your sister was a car person, which she obviously isn't since a bloated station wagon (yes that's what the XC90 is) is in the running, then look for the deal on the most reliable car you can find. A salvage title with a junkyard transmission would not be something I would let my daughter drive as her first car, and my daughter at ten knew how to add washer fluid - which is more than I can say about the 17 year old boy next door. She also knows how to change a tire, and change the oil. Can you sister do that? Throwing the kid a cell phone and AAA card may work, but it isn't the solution.

As an aside, I told my daughter that her car has two requirements. Two doors and a manual transmission. Two doors = less chance of a rear seat passenger distracting her. Manual transmission means less chance of a phone distracting her. Have your parents mull that one over before getting a seven seat party car.
I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20
So hurry up and bring your jukebox money...

Hop in my Chrysler, it's as big as a whale
And it's about to set sail!
I got me a car, it seats about 20 so come on!
And bring your jukebox money.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Instead of looking for a car, listen to people you and your family know. Someone is getting ready to trade their older well maintained car in.
^^ This man is wise.

That method is how I got my V50. A friend casually mentioned that his wife was bored with it and they might just so happen to look around for a car. I just so happened to tell the guy that I was thinking about selling my ancient BMW.

Two weeks later I had a V50 and a couple of months later I didn't have a BMW.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Boy, I would have snagged that Miata for $3500, LOL:)
When I saw the new Miata and asked what happened to the "old" one he told me he just felt like getting a new one. When I found out what he gave it away for (the top alone is worth a grand or more) and knowing the condition having seen it the last few years I nearly blew a gasket.

I told my wife if my brother didn't want it I would have sold my M roadster and put the difference into the track car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts