SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Posted this in the XC60 forum too, but seems to be more traffic here. Sorry for the repeat!

Had my ‘13 R-Design to the dealer for the last couple weeks, and one of the concerns was an engine noise. Made the noise JUST off idle, and I’m talking as light as you could press the throttle and make the sound change. Ended up replacing the alternator decoupler pulley.

Noise seems to be gone, but have noticed that mine seems louder overall compared to my Brothers ‘13 XC70 T6. Mine makes sort of a hollow knocking noise at idle and RPMs (almost like piston slap, but it’s faint). Is this normal for the T6? Has 77k, and last oil change (first since I’ve owned it), I noticed a decent amount of metallic particles in the last bit before I reinstalled the drain plug. Car is CPO, should I be concerned?

Also have been chasing a vibration at 60mph and up (acts like tire balance, but just had them done). Noticed today revving her in park, that the engine produces a noticeable vibration at 1800-2000 rpm (same range as during the highway vibration). Is THIS normal for the T6? Dealer replaced the upper torque rod and front mount below the coolant reservoir, said it was partly collapsed.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

·
Registered
238 Posts
Knocking noise and metallic particles in oil are definitely a cause for concern. If you can see ANY metallic particles in the drain oil, I would highly recommend cutting the filter apart and inspecting for metal. If there is some in the oil, there is probably a lot more in the filter.

I don't know what the dealer would do specifically, but since it is under warranty, probably a good idea to bring it in and just get the issue on record. Dealer may be wary since you did the oil change yourself. Although, if you let the dealer change the oil you may have never known about the metal particles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would say that none of that is normal. I've had my 2012 s60 T6 for over four years now and I haven't noticed any of what you describe. I would be most concerned about the particles in the drain oil.

Being a 2013 I can't imagine that you have much time left on the CPO. I am guessing that you bought it from the dealer? And if you just did your first oil change on it I assume you haven't owned the vehicle very long? If you bought the vehicle from that dealer I would try working with them. The noises you describe seem to be easily replicable, go back and push them on the fact that you had stuff replaced but the noises/vibration are still there. I would also bring up the particles in the oil, see what they say. Maybe they will pull the filter right then and there to check. Or after a few thousand miles you could change the oil again and have it sent off for an oil analysis. That'll tell you for sure if there is anything in your oil that shouldn't be. I think Blackstone Labs will do a report for less than $50.

From what I've read the 3.0 I6 Turbo is a rather stout motor, but if this dealer sold you one that happened to be neglected most of its life then they should work with you to resolve the problem. Its not like you could walk in there with a stack of oil change receipts anyways since you seem to have just bought the car!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. :)

For a little more background, I bought the car in July 2018 at a private dealer. So don’t have the dealership to fall back on as far as “you sold me this...”. The dealer I’m using DOES seem to be decent, though. Oil appeared fresh when I bought the car, so I reset the SRL and changed at 10k when it came back on, which was in late June I believe?

Regarding the oil and analysis, I actually kept the drained oil. May send it out, have the kit from Blackstone already. Put it into jugs though, so any metal may or may not have been in this portion (plus whatever mixed from the residual in the drain pan). Mentioned it to the field rep when he and I drove the car for other issues, and he said “some is normal”. Being a former tech, I don’t completely disagree. I feel this was an excessive amount though. Not sure how to prove it, other than having them service next time. In service date was 7/13, so have just under a year left on CPO.

Regarding the noise, it’s not excessive or anything. Just not sure what’s normal for the T6, haven’t been a tech since early 2008 when they were all new. If not for the metal particles, the noise alone wouldn’t concern me as much. Both together though does...

Trying to get the dealer to replace the trans, has been in 3 times (2 different dealers) for shifting issues. They’ve flushed, updated SW, and done the adaptive drive cycle. Still sloppy. If I ask about the engine AND trans they’re going to think I’m trying for a new car! Lol

Thanks,

Joe

P.S. - Any thoughts on the vibration at certain RPM?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I hear a faint hollow knocking sound at idle as well on my 16 RD. Just over 41k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I don’t have a fix for you but a word of advice if the car has any sort of remaining warranty coverage is to get all of your scheduled maintenance done at the Volvo dealership while you are still covered. This way they can’t void your warranty due to an unauthorized/ unqualified person maintaining the car (or not maintaining it, they could argue, if you can’t prove the work was done) which they could blame as the source of any engine issue. It also establishes you as a paying customer likely to bring them future business, whom they might therefore be inclined to want to keep happy. On a more practical note, you are more likely to get thoughtful treatment if you’ve already established a friendly relationship with specific individuals in Service.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear a faint hollow knocking sound at idle as well on my 16 RD. Just over 41k miles
Has it always been there? Sounds like what I’m hearing too. Any vibration with yours?

I don’t have a fix for you but a word of advice if the car has any sort of remaining warranty coverage is to get all of your scheduled maintenance done at the Volvo dealership while you are still covered. This way they can’t void your warranty due to an unauthorized/ unqualified person maintaining the car (or not maintaining it, they could argue, if you can’t prove the work was done) which they could blame as the source of any engine issue. It also establishes you as a paying customer likely to bring them future business, whom they might therefore be inclined to want to keep happy. On a more practical note, you are more likely to get thoughtful treatment if you’ve already established a friendly relationship with specific individuals in Service.
I don’t disagree. I changed it myself this time, was before I found the GOOD dealer. One before that had me so frustrated that after 8 Volvo’s, I was ready to sell and buy a domestic, never looking back. Volvo Customer Care was little help, either.

Problem is, I’m 2 hours from the dealer. Since the bad one closed, they’re the closest one. Being so close to the CPO end date though, I’ll likely use them for maintenance. Good idea if Goodwill is ever needed, like you said. Hate to switch oils AGAIN though, started running Castrol Extended Performance this last change, since the 10k interval makes me nervous. Could take my own oil though, just hate to be THAT guy lol.

Thanks all,

Joe

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bump; any other suggestions? Car is at the dealer now...

Thanks,

Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts