SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when moving the 2nd row seats forward to enter/exit the third row, the 2nd row seats get stuck when attempting to slide them back to their original place after entering/exiting.
The 2nd row seats move forward easily but they get stuck when trying to slide them back. The base cushion appears to tilt forward instead of remaining level.
This happened on my car and on a demo in the dealership.
This happened on every occasion and it took a lot of fiddling around with the levers to get the seats to slide back into their original position.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has Volvo just made adjusting the 2nd row technically difficult to enter and exit the third row.

·
Registered
56 Posts
From my experience, it just takes some practice. At the dealership and when I received my XC90, I struggled with getting into the third row. I figured out it really all happens with the lever near the head reset. just lift it up and slide the entire seat towards the front. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The first week of heavy usage of the 3rd row had a strange consequence: I had similar problems in lowering the 2nd row seat back after entering, until the end caps of the rails where the 2nd row seat slides both popped off! After reseating the caps all went well (sofar). I wonder if the plastic cap were manufactured with "too much" material that, until shaved off by mechanical action, hinders the smooth operation of the 2nd row...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've had the same issue with mine - just picked it up Friday and had an issue on Saturday whilst playing with it and installing child seats. I almost gave up afraid of breaking something but in the end it just worked - I'm not sure how as I didn't do anything different.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had the same issue with mine - just picked it up Friday and had an issue on Saturday whilst playing with it and installing child seats. I almost gave up afraid of breaking something but in the end it just worked - I'm not sure how as I didn't do anything different.
You need to look at those caps. They should be straight, but if you see an angled one, I'm pretty sure it's the wrong part. On my XC, the caps on driver side are stright (which allows the seat to return to normal position), but on the passenger side, the outside cap is at an angle whcih prevents the seat from clicking back into place. If you push hard enough you can get it to snap over the top, but it's either a design flaw or the wrong part there. Going to take mine into the dealer next week.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it seems that I'm not the only one facing this problem.
The outside cap is only at an angle when the seat gets stuck. When placed back in the normal position (after several attempts), the cap reverts back to being aligned with the seat.
Whether its an issue of too much material or a wrong part, this is not acceptable and maybe Volvo should consider doing a recall for this.

·
Registered
426 Posts
cool, I thought it was just my car having this little problem. Is there a way to make Volvo aware of this things directly instead of relying on the dealer passing the message on?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
cool, I thought it was just my car having this little problem. Is there a way to make Volvo aware of this things directly instead of relying on the dealer passing the message on?
Don't worry! I'm sure the top brass in Gothenborg read all Swedespeed posts avidly every day.
;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So after plenty fiddling around , I managed to get it to work consistently and on the first attempt after it gets stuck by doing the following: lifting the lever on the top of the seat AND applying a vertical force upwards AND applying a horizontal force upwards. Sounds complicated but basically push upwards and backwards simultaneously whilst lifting the lever on the top of the seat up.

·
Registered
241 Posts
So after plenty fiddling around , I managed to get it to work consistently and on the first attempt after it gets stuck by doing the following: lifting the lever on the top of the seat AND applying a vertical force upwards AND applying a horizontal force upwards. Sounds complicated but basically push upwards and backwards simultaneously whilst lifting the lever on the top of the seat up.
lift upwards on what?

·
Registered
3 Posts
So it seems that I'm not the only one facing this problem.
The outside cap is only at an angle when the seat gets stuck. When placed back in the normal position (after several attempts), the cap reverts back to being aligned with the seat.
Whether its an issue of too much material or a wrong part, this is not acceptable and maybe Volvo should consider doing a recall for this.
I found that one of those plastic "caps" on the rails broke. Showed it to the dealer to get a replacement piece. Without the cap, it does make it more difficult to reset the 2nd row set into position after accessing the 3rd row. Hopefully it is a simple replacement.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grab the front of the bottom half of driver side seat with your left hand, lifting the lever under the seat and push upwards and backwards whilst lifting the lever upwards with your right hand. Poor mechanism admittedly.
Way to prevent it getting stuck in the first place is to not pull the 2nd row seat back into place by 3rd row passenger but rather someone standing outside is to push the 2nd row seat back into place by lifting the lever below the seat and pushing back.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Believe it or not, first time I noticed this problem was at NY AutoShow in 2015. When I asked them about the 2nd row seat, they said the seat had stopped working properly over time. After then several people reported the same problem here; it eventually happened to me this winter. The trick is you have to lift/pull the entire seat up (holding from the bottom) while pushing it back (otherwise it gets stuck). Last week, it was fixed during the 12m service but I don't have the paper work yet. When I receive the papers, I can report how they fixed it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
When I had a demo car overnight it would get stuck occasionally. My advice is to be careful not to have your head between the seat back and c-pillar when trying to put the seat back to the correct position. It did not feel very pleasant when it finally did what it was supposed to do.

·
Registered
463 Posts
We had the same issue last week: middle row, outboard position behind driver's seat. I was able to get it to return but had to slide the driver seat all the way fwd to allow that second row seat the ability to move all the way fwd as well. After moving fully forward it went back without issue. I used the upper tilt/slide lever.

I also have noticed the plastic plugs on the end of the rails pop off at times.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Excellent description of the solution. Second row seat was stuck forward - nobody knew how it got there. Couldn't get it to slide backward until reading the description above. THANKS!

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
641 Posts
Now have any of you almost put someone in the hospital putting the second row seat back? LOL

I had a situation where someone was in the third row and had their foot (wearing sandals) resting on the second row seat rail. As you can imagine we kept trying to put the second row seat back and it kept jamming... all the while the passenger kept screaming. Finally realized what was happening but not before an almost crushed foot. :facepalm:

Seems like there is a small design flaw were if someone has their foot in the wrong place sitting in the third row there can be an opportunity for human carnage.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Now have any of you almost put someone in the hospital putting the second row seat back? LOL

I had a situation where someone was in the third row and had their foot (wearing sandals) resting on the second row seat rail. As you can imagine we kept trying to put the second row seat back and it kept jamming... all the while the passenger kept screaming. Finally realized what was happening but not before an almost crushed foot.

Seems like there is a small design flaw were if someone has their foot in the wrong place sitting in the third row there can be an opportunity for human carnage.
No deaths by 2020, but crushed feet or a skull smashed between the c pillar and head rest are ok.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I found tha easiest way to put the seat back into normal position is just to push very lightly on the front of the chair bottom cushion. No pulling any levers or touching any other part of the seat. Works quick and easy every time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts