SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty pumped about this and wondering if it is unique?
I had a one-way trip that is 16 miles one-way. About 5 miles of that trip are a 40mph zone and the rest are 30mph. I made it all the way to my destination and only had 3 miles to go when my battery ran out. According to the trip log it was 15.4 miles one-way, all electric and on the way back I made it 12.2 miles before the ice kicked in. 12.2+15.4=27.6. There was a fair amount of traffic when I was inbound, and not much traffic on the way back. I would call it city driving and the roads I was on do not have a lot of hills. I think I could have gotten 29 miles out of it if I really tried.. I wasn't super careful early on in the ride (had Hybrid on which uses more AC) then I turned down the fan to 1, but had the AC comfortable (it was about 80 degrees out and humid), with radio and lights on throughout.

See pic below of the trip logs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not unusual if you are on primarily flat landscapes. Use B-Mode to capture as much kinetic energy as possible when not accelerating. It will give you more range on the fly. And it saves your brakes too! I'm just about at 15,000 miles and the brake wear is nearly zero to this point according to my technician. I hear T6 owners having premature wear as early at 20,000 miles so the T8 or Recharge as they are calling it now is awesome on the brake wear front. Get the PoleStar upgrade and enjoy! It is bonkers!

Reactions: T8 or not T8

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Not unusual if you are on primarily flat landscapes. Use B-Mode to capture as much kinetic energy as possible when not accelerating. It will give you more range on the fly. And it saves your brakes too! I'm just about at 15,000 miles and the brake wear is nearly zero to this point according to my technician. I hear T6 owners having premature wear as early at 20,000 miles so the T8 or Recharge as they are calling it now is awesome on the brake wear front. Get the PoleStar upgrade and enjoy! It is bonkers!
B mode doesn't save brake or save more energy. You could actually use more energy because you accelerate more after slowing down. Your brake does same thing just fine if you keep distance and don't need to brake hard.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
523 Posts
Pretty pumped about this and wondering if it is unique?
I had a one-way trip that is 16 miles one-way. About 5 miles of that trip are a 40mph zone and the rest are 30mph. I made it all the way to my destination and only had 3 miles to go when my battery ran out. According to the trip log it was 15.4 miles one-way, all electric and on the way back I made it 12.2 miles before the ice kicked in. 12.2+15.4=27.6. There was a fair amount of traffic when I was inbound, and not much traffic on the way back. I would call it city driving and the roads I was on do not have a lot of hills. I think I could have gotten 29 miles out of it if I really tried.. I wasn't super careful early on in the ride (had Hybrid on which uses more AC) then I turned down the fan to 1, but had the AC comfortable (it was about 80 degrees out and humid), with radio and lights on throughout.

See pic below of the trip logs.
View attachment 131068
That's pretty good. I've gotten similar once but I typically get 22 to 24 miles as long as it's not too cold out. For those sorts of trips my setup is always pretty much the same: cruise control and B mode. Speeds range from 25mph to 50. Traffic around here is generally very light. Hills, on the other hand, abound.

On the subject of regeneration, Tuesday I had an interesting sort of trip, though it did involve the ICE. The driving journal lists it as 89.9 miles @ 41.2 mpg. The interesting part is that it started with a flat battery, or as flat as the system lets it get. The journal shows 5.6 kwh used and 6.0 kwh regenerated. The key is that I started at ~2,000' elevation and the 12 miles down is a pretty consistent descent. Cruise control at 35mph and once we got rolling the "needle" only moved above recharging to actually driving the wheels a few times. After getting down it was pretty much normal, though I did use D instead of B mode on the freeways. Still, gentle acceleration and gentle deceleration and the returns were pretty good for a car as heavy as the XC60.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
B mode doesn't save brake or save more energy. You could actually use more energy because you accelerate more after slowing down. Your brake does same thing just fine if you keep distance and don't need to brake hard.

You're misunderstanding how the system works. If you use it correctly it certainly does save both brakes and energy. You're not supposed to go driving around with it on. But what you do is turn it on when you're going down a hill. As such, it doesn't use the brake pads but rather CEMF to slow... and that stores energy to the battery.

·
Registered
348 Posts

My experience is same as yours. This is not to say 2020XC90T8's experience is wrong. IMHO, i tend to draw less energy when allowing vehicle to coast, foot off accelerator,,than slowing with B Mode and then accelerating to keep with traffic. Slow pulse acceleration, and anticipating traffic speeds by coasting i can sometimes get energy usage down to .30kwh/mile as indicated by Driver Performance screen.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Can you tell me more about or link me to Polestar info? What it is and what it costs? I didn't know I could get one after purchasing the car and assume it's a software upgrade for more power. Besides more horsepower from the ICE does the P* upgrade do much to the EV motor or the driving comfort?

·
Registered
281 Posts
My experience is same as yours. This is not to say 2020XC90T8's experience is wrong. IMHO, i tend to draw less energy when allowing vehicle to coast, foot off accelerator,,than slowing with B Mode and then accelerating to keep with traffic. Slow pulse acceleration, and anticipating traffic speeds by coasting i can sometimes get energy usage down to .30kwh/mile as indicated by Driver Performance screen.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
All I can say is it works brilliantly. I keep B-Mode on 100% of the time.

Reactions: VolvoUhu

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks! Can you tell me more about or link me to Polestar info? What it is and what it costs? I didn't know I could get one after purchasing the car and assume it's a software upgrade for more power. Besides more horsepower from the ICE does the P* upgrade do much to the EV motor or the driving comfort?
Tons of threads on this, many of which I have commented on. Bottom line is it awesome and worth every penny. 0-60 drops to 4.7 sec and the throttle response is simply nuts. I almost always over accelerate every time I use it and my boys call it "Beast Mode" and staying below jail speeds is a challenge. It adapts the air suspension, braking, throttle and steering at the same time. You get more hp and tq, and the delivery is entirely different than when Polestar mode is not engaged. It also enhances the other modes too to be better and the transmission is even smoother in its engagement if that is even possible. Just get it!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I will mess around with B mode more often but generally don't like how it feels when driving. My understanding is that in situations where I would have to brake, I can instead use B to have the car slow down by charging the battery. So if I can coast, there is no need to use B. If I am slowing down at the braking rate that I want, there is no need to use B. In other words if I am braking fairly quickly, turning on B is not likely to add much power since the car already regenerates while braking. I will mess with it more to see if I can make the battery last for longer mileage with B mode turned on, though I am not sure I would take the "jerkier" feeling tradeoff for most daily drives.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tons of threads on this, many of which I have commented on. Bottom line is it awesome and worth every penny. 0-60 drops to 4.7 sec and the throttle response is simply nuts. I almost always over accelerate every time I use it and my boys call it "Beast Mode" and staying below jail speeds is a challenge. It adapts the air suspension, braking, throttle and steering at the same time. You get more hp and tq, and the delivery is entirely different than when Polestar mode is not engaged. It also enhances the other modes too to be better and the transmission is even smoother in its engagement if that is even possible. Just get it!
Just called dealer to ask for pricing and if they can do it when I get my orange key programmed next week.. now, to convince my better half...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Congrats!

26.8 miles is my all time high (MY2019 10.4kWh). I'm a hypermiler and only use B mode to slow down when coasting is too light and braking is too much.

Good luck chasing those electric miles!

·
Registered
XC90 T8 Inscription Crystal White 20" | Air suspension | B&W | luxury line | HUD
32 Posts
Jeez.. I am happy with 28-30 kilometers (18 miles or so) during optimal wheather (20 degrees celcius). And I really have to optimize my driving for this. Speed ranges from 50 to 80 km/h and everything is flat here (Netherlands). A few traffic lights and moderately frequent slowing / accelerating. I read something about 'pulsing acceleration'. Does this mean that you have to step on and off the gas when accelerating to cruise speed to optimise mileage?

·
Registered
165 Posts
The battery pack in XC90 was increased with subsequent model years:

MY2017 had 9.2 kWh battery capacity,
MY2018 had 10.4 kWh battery,
MY2020 has 11.6 kWh battery pack.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Once it thankfully bought me more than 60mi of range. We were on a trip across a couple of passes and getting off the Interstate to take a state highway over what I learned was another mountain pass. I had missed the gas station at that exit but did t think much of it since I had more than more indicated gas range to make it to the next one - only I wasn’t anticipating the steep climb ahead while towing our R-Pod. The range going up hill quickly dropped but doing some maths I figured it’d be ok knowing what goes up must come down especially with as steep as the climb was. I was about 1/8-1/4 battery charge and once we cleared the summit the gas range was under 20mi. The next 30+ mi were all regen on B and I was definitely hyper miling to use only battery across flatter section or were the drag of the R-Pod prevented regen on slight declines. I ended up with a fully recharged battery and with super light gas use made it to the next gas station with nearly empty tank (it took on more than 13gal and ours has the puny tank. The last 15 miles we’re all battery and usually towing our R-Pod electric range is halfed. I only use it on ERAD towing either entering or leaving parks or on surface streets to get to the highway or to a gas station off the highway.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
The battery pack in XC90 was increased with subsequent model years:

MY2017 had 9.2 kWh battery capacity,
MY2018 had 10.4 kWh battery,
MY2020 has 11.6 kWh battery pack.
Related but slightly off-topic, are the dimensions and external design of the 10.4 kWh and the 11.6 kWh the same as the 9.2 kWh hybrid battery for the XC90s?

Do all of the SPA models (XC90s, S90s, V90s, XC60s, S60s, V60s) share the same dimensions and external design as their respective year siblings?

If yes, is this mostly a software update or something more?

TIA and apologies if this was cover on any other thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
TBD
21 Posts
Question for you guys: so I thought that in B mode, you can change the gears by pushing the shifter right and right (kind of like manual shifting), so you have B1, B2, B3, etc to have different levels of engine braking. My T8 is on order (fingers crossed) so I cannot confirm this. I thought, say, you use B6, it would still regen but less jerky and less recouping.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Question for you guys: so I thought that in B mode, you can change the gears by pushing the shifter right and right (kind of like manual shifting), so you have B1, B2, B3, etc to have different levels of engine braking. My T8 is on order (fingers crossed) so I cannot confirm this. I thought, say, you use B6, it would still regen but less jerky and less recouping.
Nope, there is only one B position. Otherwise, you will automatically shift into regular 1, 2, 3, … likely depending on speed ranges (but I am usually stopped if I accidentally go from B to a specified gear like “1”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 35 Posts