SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
'18 XC90 T6 Inscription - Bright Silver
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Load rating on tires is denoted by 2-3 numbers followed by a letter (for speed rating)...example is “106v” or “110h”. Usually these numbers are listed directly after the size on the sidewall.

Dont know if wheel load rating is published by Volvo or is stamped/cast on inside of wheel
Sorry, my bad. Here's the numbers from Volvo website and the 265s I'll be getting are 102V, so looks good I believe?
Engineman/
aut
Minimum permitted load index (LI)Minimum permitted speed rating (SS)
T6 AWDB4204T27aut101 (104)V
T6 AWDB4204T29aut101 (104)V

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
OE xc90 22" wheels seem to have a +38.5mm offset. The 22" (also 9" width) Polestar wheel for xc60 has a +43mm offset. Using that xc60 wheel on an xc90 will make the wheel stick out by about 5mm, which in itself is probably ok, but check to see if at the most extreme turns, the tire doesn't rub against the inner fender well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
OE xc90 22" wheels seem to have a +38.5mm offset. The 22" (also 9" width) Polestar wheel for xc60 has a +43mm offset. Using that xc60 wheel on an xc90 will make the wheel stick out by about 5mm, which in itself is probably ok, but check to see if at the most extreme turns, the tire doesn't rub against the inner fender well.
I'm sorry for the dumb questions (I'm just educating myself with these) - I see from the difference the XC60 wheels would stick out by ~5mm but when I put them into this calculator it doesn't show much off. So you mean I don't need a spacer because it will push it out even more?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree, except that we are expecting and the due date is end of this month, she can't get out.
Speaking as someone with 3 now grown kids I'd say you probably have bigger things to be concerned about than chasing down new rims and skinny tires. If the existing tires and wheels are ok then use them. After delivery and once things have settled down then make her part of the decision. I'm trying to steer you away from a conversation with mom that has to drive her new baby in a Volvo that rides like an empty Ford F350.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Speaking as someone with 3 now grown kids I'd say you probably have bigger things to be concerned about than chasing down new rims and skinny tires. If the existing tires and wheels are ok then use them. After delivery and once things have settled down then make her part of the decision. I'm trying to steer you away from a conversation with mom that has to drive her new baby in a Volvo that rides like an empty Ford F350.
I agree with you but these little things kind of make me feel better after I had to sell my Porsche Cayman for the XC90.
And thanks for the good advice that we don't often get on these car forums :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been considering an upgrade for my XC90 also with the 21" 5-Triple Spoke Matte Black Diamond Cut (31423854), but haven't seen anyone with them yet. You may want to reach out to the poster from this link, XC60 Wheel options on XC90. they've got the 22" XC60 wheels on their XC90.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm sorry for the dumb questions (I'm just educating myself with these) - I see from the difference the XC60 wheels would stick out by ~5mm but when I put them into this calculator it doesn't show much off. So you mean I don't need a spacer because it will push it out even more?
My understanding is that if the replacement wheel has a smaller (or more negative) offset, then a spacer can bring the wheel to sit at about the same location that the original would. Note that the 38.5mm and 43mm numbers I got are from searching online, with the +43mm coming from a Polestar Engineered option. Maybe 5mm isn't a lot of difference then.

·
Registered
‘19 t6 inscription silver/brown w/air, b&w, lux, polestar, 21’s, etc
131 Posts
It’s the opposite...higher offset sits more inboard. Lower offset sticks out more. So a spacer can effectively reduce offset

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I've been considering an upgrade for my XC90 also with the 21" 5-Triple Spoke Matte Black Diamond Cut (31423854), but haven't seen anyone with them yet. You may want to reach out to the poster from this link, XC60 Wheel options on XC90. they've got the 22" XC60 wheels on their XC90.
Try to search for XC60s in your car color with those wheels - that's kind of the closest we can get if you don't find any. I did read through that post and got some good info. Thanks!

My understanding is that if the replacement wheel has a smaller (or more negative) offset, then a spacer can bring the wheel to sit at about the same location that the original would. Note that the 38.5mm and 43mm numbers I got are from searching online, with the +43mm coming from a Polestar Engineered option. Maybe 5mm isn't a lot of difference then.
Thanks. The numbers are correct. I'll keep you guys posted once I put them on.

It’s the opposite...higher offset sits more inboard. Lower offset sticks out more. So a spacer can effectively reduce offset
Gotcha!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
There is not much sidewall. If your car has air suspension that may reduce the harshness. And understand the chance of wheel damage is also increased.
We have 22" rims for both our summer tires (Pirelli Scorpion summer with PNCS) and winter tires (Pirelli Scorpion winter with PNCS) along with air suspension. Ride quality is good out here in the pothell Northeast. However I recommend getting a tire protection plan (Mike at Steingold! - and read which level fits your needs) to cover the increased likelihood of tire damage. I've already recouped the cost of my tire protection plan thanks to the Northeast's pothells.

Regarding OP's concern, I'd worry more about the rim compatibility (as others have raised) rather than the 265 vs 275 issue (which you've shown is nearly the same).

Enjoy your beautiful 22s!

Reactions: badaga

·
Registered
364 Posts
You're overthinking the 265 vs 275...The difference is negligible. The real concern is the offset: Since it seems you're going for stock fitment I'd get a spacer sized to get it as close to et38.5.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You're overthinking the 265 vs 275...The difference is negligible. The real concern is the offset: Since it seems you're going for stock fitment I'd get a spacer sized to get it as close to et38.5.
Cool. Yes, I’m ordering 15mm spacers. There’s another user here who did the same thing and exact same wheels. I got in touch with him.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Another useful tool for calculating and visualizing the effect of wheel & tire changes is this one: Custom rims, wheel tire packages

You can play with it and see what changes when you change a single parameter like offset, and it gives you a bit more space/clearance information than the tool you used above.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Another useful tool for calculating and visualizing the effect of wheel & tire changes is this one: Custom rims, wheel tire packages

You can play with it and see what changes when you change a single parameter like offset, and it gives you a bit more space/clearance information than the tool you used above.
Great tool. Thank you!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts