SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
'18 XC90 T6 Inscription - Bright Silver
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks!

My first post here... I'm looking to change my 20" wheels to 22" XC60 wheels but the tires on them are 265/35/R22 whereas all 22" XC90 tires from factory come with 275/35/R22. I will change from 265 to 275 once the current tires are worn, in the mean while having a 265 width cause any problems? Should I absolutely have 275 width? What are the disadvantages?

2018 XC90 T6 Inscription.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2021 XC90 Inscription
71 Posts
I would assume one size off OEM is fine, but IMO 265 is really narrow for a 22” wheel.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I won't speak to the impacts of this on your car specifically but generally speaking wider tires are better for driving due to more contact (except for in snow) and a bit worse for gas mileage. So for such a big car you may see some decent decrease in drivability.

Sometimes changing tire size can impact the readings in the car if they aren't recalibrated but I feel like most new cars can compensate for this? I have no idea in reality though

·
Registered
‘19 t6 inscription silver/brown w/air, b&w, lux, polestar, 21’s, etc
136 Posts
As long as load rating matches or is real close, should be fine. About 1/4” shorter diameter and 1/2” narrower

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would assume one size off OEM is fine, but IMO 265 is really narrow for a 22” wheel.
But that’s what the XC60s come with 265. Are you saying narrow in respect to the size of the car?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you ready for how 35 aspect ratio tires on a 4300 pound car will ride?
Like I said, all OEM 22” wheels come with 35 aspect ratio. I agree the ride will be harsh but will it be very bad that the wife will complain on every ride?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Do you have air suspension? I think that'll play a major role in it being comfortable with the 22s.
Unfortunately no air suspension. I’ve had 21” on my Range Rover Sport but that had air suspension, so I didn’t feel anything at all.

As long as load rating matches or is real close, should be fine. About 1/4” shorter diameter and 1/2” narrower
I hoping so.

I’ll be using spacers to get the offset to match. Let me know what guys recommend the spacers should be?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Do you have air suspension? I think that'll play a major role in it being comfortable with the 22s.
no kidding...amazed at how well ours rides with 21’s and air suspension. Can only imagine how much better it would get with smaller wheels and fatter sidewalls

·
Registered
2021 XC90 Inscription
71 Posts
But that’s what the XC60s come with 265. Are you saying narrow in respect to the size of the car?
A little of both. My Q7 came with 22s and they’re 285. I don’t know of any XC60 competitors that even come with 22s, it looks like smaller cars don’t come with wheels that big. On a vehicle as big as the 90, 265 is narrow certainly for a 22 wheel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just installed a set of 22-inch 285s on my R-Design yesterday. Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Plus because 275s (OEM) are only available in summer performance and are typically over $400 per tire. The Scorpions are typically under $300 with very high ratings, etc. Tomorrow I will test them on a 1000 mile trip and check how far off the speedo might be.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The SPA xc60 and xc90 wheel offset settings for the same wheel diameter are probably not the same. That may be a bigger issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just installed a set of 22-inch 285s on my R-Design yesterday. Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Plus because 275s (OEM) are only available in summer performance and are typically over $400 per tire. The Scorpions are typically under $300 with very high ratings, etc. Tomorrow I will test them on a 1000 mile trip and check how far off the speedo might be.
I read that on another post too, replacing 275 with 285. I have that option too in the future but currently the 265 comes with the wheels and I’m trying not to spend extra on the tires until at least a year or so. I got my car just two weeks ago. Hence my question/ concern if 265s are okay.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Like I said, all OEM 22” wheels come with 35 aspect ratio. I agree the ride will be harsh but will it be very bad that the wife will complain on every ride?
Find a new XC90 with those size tires properly inflated and both of you take it for a drive on not smooth roads. There is not much sidewall. If your car has air suspension that may reduce the harshness. And understand the chance of wheel damage is also increased.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Find a new XC90 with those size tires properly inflated and both of you take it for a drive on not smooth roads. There is not much sidewall. If your car has air suspension that may reduce the harshness. And understand the chance of wheel damage is also increased.
I agree, except that we are expecting and the due date is end of this month, she can't get out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
From looking at the comparison b/w 275 and 265 I'm not seeing significant differences. May be I need opinions from more knowledgeable folks than me. What do you folks see?

1 --> 275/35/R22
2 --> 265/35/R22

·
Registered
136 Posts
As mentioned above...if tire & wheel load rating are adequate you’ll be fine. Difference between sizes is almost negligible

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As mentioned above...if tire & wheel load rating are adequate you’ll be fine. Difference between sizes is almost negligible
Sorry, I over looked your comment. The load rating is XL for the 265, so I guess I'm good. Thank you!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Load rating on tires is denoted by 2-3 numbers followed by a letter (for speed rating)...example is “106v” or “110h”. Usually these numbers are listed directly after the size on the sidewall.

Dont know if wheel load rating is published by Volvo or is stamped/cast on inside of wheel

1 - 20 of 35 Posts