SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter conditions are quickly aproaching here in British Columbia, and I'm considering a swap to winter tires. I already have a set of almost-new 255/55/18 winter tires which would fit nicely on my current 18" volvo wheels. However I realise they are not the same size as the standard Volvo size of 235/60/18 but they are really close in the all-important circumference (2322.3mm verses 2317.6mm, only a 0.2% difference: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html).
My real question relates to whether the 255mm width is going to cause me a problem. Has anyone used 255 width tires on their non-R0Design XC60s? I see that 255width is fine on R-Design models with 20inch wheels, but is that only possible with limiters on the steering rack and the reinforcement to the radiator mounts? What will happen if I have 255 width tires on my T6 XC60? Where should I be looking for evience of rubbing (struts, outer arch?)?

Any information would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
You may also want to consider if a center spacing ring is required

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may also want to consider if a center spacing ring is required
By that I presume you mean a wheel spacer like this:

I'll still be using my 18" XC60 Zephyrus rims so the offset will be exactly the same (+55). Measuring the width of the tyres looks like they're only about 15mm different (rather than the 20mm you might expect) but that means another 7.5mm on either side. You're right that spacers might help with tuning-out any rubbing. Is the track on the R-Design the same as on the other models? Anyone fitted some thin hubcentric spacers to their XC60?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts