SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am new and really enjoy reading in this forum.
I will soon have a 2015 XC90 D5, an plan to equip it with new tires. I will have 20 inch double spoke rims on it.

I mostly found 275/45 R20 as the correct tire size, but found some offers in 255/45 R20. Given that I want to go for All Season tires and the selection here in Germany is limited, 255/45 R20 would give me a broader selection. I tried to find information on whether this size is ok or not, but couldn’t...
Does someone has an idea on that?

Thanks & Rgds
Chris

·
Registered
60 Posts
The sidewall would be a little smaller so slightly less protection for your rim. I didn't think it would be that bad but this would also make the circumference of the tire smaller so your speedometer would be off.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Either should be fine. You’ll give up about 9mm in sidewall height and 20mm in width. There are tires that also offer an outer rim guard as well. The ContiExtremeContact Sport Plus I use on my c30 has it. They are 245/40/18

You can see how the tire sidewall allows for the wheel to recess in to offer more protection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Forgive my ignorance - using the comparison i came up with equivalent size. Does this mean i can use 275/45R20 on my 21 inch rims (275/40R21 are myOEM)?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Forgive my ignorance - using the comparison i came up with equivalent size. Does this mean i can use 275/45R20 on my 21 inch rims ?

You can’t use r20s on a r21, lol

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Aww....oh well

You can get away with changing the width of the tire to a degree based on what size tire the wheel is capable of fitting and clearances on the vehicle. As the wheel diameter goes up the sidewall goes down to try and maintain overall height dimensions.
I say try as it will always be close. Even stock fitment will change the speedo as the tires wear....its negligible until you get to extremes.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thxs.

I didn't really want 21" , there are so few choices of tires, but that's what car came with. They look good, though.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Thxs.

I didn't really want 21" , there are so few choices of tires, but that's what car came with. They look good, though.

Where you at in Germany? My wife’s Mom lived in Schweinfurt. Past away 4 years ago though. Loved visiting. The wife went to Gymnasium. I will be in the same boat as far as tires go when we make the move to France.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Where you at in Germany? My wife’s Mom lived in Schweinfurt. Past away 4 years ago though. Loved visiting. The wife went to Gymnasium. I will be in the same boat as far as tires go when we make the move to France.

Germany...? Im in the USA. Love to visit though - Oktoberfest is on my bucket list.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Germany...? Im in the USA. Love to visit though - Oktoberfest is on my bucket list.

Jesus....have another beer why don’t I. The OP is from Germany. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hi all,
I am new and really enjoy reading in this forum.
I will soon have a 2015 XC90 D5, an plan to equip it with new tires. I will have 20 inch double spoke rims on it.

I mostly found 275/45 R20 as the correct tire size, but found some offers in 255/45 R20. Given that I want to go for All Season tires and the selection here in Germany is limited, 255/45 R20 would give me a broader selection. I tried to find information on whether this size is ok or not, but couldn’t...
Does someone has an idea on that?

Thanks & Rgds
Chris
Why would you change tire sizes when the Michelin CrossClimate is available in a 275/45/20?

https://www.michelin.de/auto/browse-tyres/by-dimension/275/45/20/110/Y

1 - 13 of 13 Posts