SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
B0XY is making some terrible racket at certain speeds and throttle positions, and I can't figure out what's going on. Showing 260k miles (more like 275k+) on original engine and auto trans.

At some speeds, namely 25-35mph and sometimes above 65mph, I get a groan/roar from what sounds like the hind end. If I floor it from a stop, I get a pretty good vibration as well, almost like the tires are badly out of balance. But it smooths out at higher speeds or if I back off the gas.

Transmission has fluid (was pretty low, but not slipping), center driveshaft bearing and support were changed about two years ago, and appear to be in good shape. U-joints don't seem to have any play. Differential fluid is at proper level, but admittedly hasn't been changed since I've owned the car (2001).

If I get time tonight, I'm going to rotate the tires and see if by some strange chance that helps. Tires have 10k on them, and I did not have this noise beforehand.

Thoughts? I'm hoping tires, because then I can rip into Discount Tire for selling me junk. Otherwise I'm pretty lost.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 245 making some racket - diagnosis ideas? (gdill2)

Everything was still on nice and tight, torqued to 80 ft lbs. I rotated the tires and it's pretty much the same.

I did buy a couple jugs of gear oil today, I'll change that tonight or tomorrow and see what comes out.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 245 making some racket - diagnosis ideas? (gdill2)

Quote, originally posted by gdill2 »
Rear wheel bearings?

Could be, how do I check them? The noise became fairly constant on my way home today, even coasting in neutral (which is a new development). I can also hear something metallic bouncing around at very low speeds.

Car's still hot, so I'll start working tomorrow evening and see what I find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts