SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
245 hatch acces. problems

3 weeks ago, I replaced both hatch harnesses on my `93 245. Prior to thier replacement the licence lamps didn't work. I also had an intermittent problem where the 3rd brake lamp failed to work, my rear defroster would automatically come ON when the brake pedal was initially pushed, and my rear wiper was slow as molassas. Usually, all I had to do was open & close the hatch and the brk lamp/def/wiper problem would temporarily go away.
Since the harnesses have been replaced, my licence lamps work perfectly but the other problems still occur...although not as frequently. My initial thought was a bad ground, so I removed the int. hatch panel(again) and loosened & retightened to 2 visible ground bolts. Everything seemed fine for a few days, but sure enough, the problems returned this past Sunday when my Wife was driving the car. Once again, I opened & closed the hatch and everything was fine. What am I missing here?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: 245 hatch acces. problems (SL8Brick)

Fuses making poor contact.

Ox deposits on bulb contacts.

Bulb sockets improperly installed and/or damaged.

New wiring harness pulled too tightly at hinges.

Mis-matched bulbs.

Voltage regulator on alternator failing intermittently.

Poor grounds at light sockets.

Corroded electrical junctions.

George Dill

·
Registered
98 Posts
Re: 245 hatch acces. problems (SL8Brick)

Wow I just noticed the same problem today. Rear defrost came on when I started the car, along with the bulb failure warning light...went to the rear, opened and closed the hatch, saw third brake light flickering. Defrost stayed on for 30 minutes then went off. Window glass over third brake light felt very warm. Harness replaced 3 months ago. Previous owner said the defroster works...sure does...only I don't need it in 90 degree weather.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts