SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The power window fuse keeps blowing in my 1990 245. What are the best replacement fuses to get - should I go for OEM ceramic ones? IPD has a kit for ~$4.50 but I'm wondering if there is a better solution out there.

/Apurva\

·
Registered
691 Posts
First off, I'd lube your window tracks and regulators, and clean the contacts and grounds for the window motors - if the windows are hard for the motors to 'crank' up and down, or the electrical contacts have extra resistance, they'll pull too much current and blow the fuse.

If you continue to blow fuses often, I'd buy a stock of that value fuse in the cheapo ceramic variety from a local auto place.

I use the metal/glass fuses with Oxguard conductive grease on the tips to combat the dreaded corrosion that affects many 240 fuseboxes. These fuses are a bit more $ though, so it wouldn't make sense for you to use these until you solve the blowing problem.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have experienced the same problem with my 92 240. I went through fuses so fast I thought I was keeping those guys in business. But all of a sudden, The car just stopped blowing them.
Like it was said before, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check all moving parts for too much friction. If you've got slow windows, chances are there's too much load on the motor. OR, you could be victim of the roaming electrical gremlins that show up randomly. I guess it's a good thing that that fuse is an 8 amp fuse which come in abundant numbers in those little packs you can get at the store. There's probably a good reason for that.
kowalski
92 240 GL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts