SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm debating whether I should get 40 or 45 profile summer tires and I just realized it's from here I've seen a bunch of pictures with S80s with 45 profile ones. I saved one on my computer of an S80 same color as mine with the same rims, venators. They look like 17" unfortunately. Is there a noticeable gain in ride quality? I'm guessing higher profile tires should mean a theoretical loss in steering feel but is it noticeable?

And most importantly, does the wheels touch anywhere? I think the circumference is increased by around 8 cm <=> I think 3" and 1" in diameter. I'm worried they'll scrape when the suspension is compressed (which also could be unfortunate in the event of an accident regarding insurance, or so I've heard anyway).

All input is welcome. And pictures, if you have any.

Registered
I've been running 245/45/18 Hankook i-Pikes for the winter on stock 18" rims with absolutely no problems! My S80 is also lowered on B&G Springs

Registered
I've been reading up and see a number of folks went with 245/45 18 instead of the stock 245/40 18, I think either will work fine depending on what you prefer and the types of roads you drive on.

Registered
Definitely get 245/45/18. I run that on both summer and winter sets.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like it'll fit fine. What are your experiences running 45 profile tires then? Any trade-offs? They seem to cost slightly more than 40 profile for one thing. Difference in handling? Any noticeable gains, e.g better comfort?

Registered
I feel like you come across better milage warranty on the 45's, 30,000 mi. If that's even something you care about.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Registered
Sounds like it'll fit fine. What are your experiences running 45 profile tires then? Any trade-offs? They seem to cost slightly more than 40 profile for one thing. Difference in handling? Any noticeable gains, e.g better comfort?
Better comfort, better looks, less risk of blowing a tire or bending a wheel on a bad road.
I did not notice the tire cost being much higher, but I'm only looking at summer/winter stuff not all-seasons...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
church395: If 45 profile tires will last longer then yes that's good. I want good tires but I guess better tires will wear faster, from providing more grip and in its turn more rolling resistance. But I think that's another topic. I need to read up on some tire tests and what not.

I'm looking for summer tires specifically. No point in running all season tires in the north of sweden, you'll want studded tires for the winter anyway. As for the less risk of bending a wheel, YES! As a matter of fact, I'm looking for summer tires in january and the reason is my venators haven't felt perfectly vibration free. I figured it could be car, bad roads, maybe cheap tires (two of them fitted by the old owner was some no-name brand), bad balancing (redid it twice) and what not. I finally visited a tire shop to have tires fitted for another car and I brought my venators along. Turns out two of them were slightly bent and the guy gave me a fixed and lower price if I decided to have them fixed before the tire season gets going, late march sometime. I figured I should let them install new tires while they're at it as my old ones are about done.

Though regarding looks, I found a picture on my computer I saved of an S80 - same color as mine, oyster gray, and with venators - that had 45 profile tires instead of 40 as on mine and I thought it made the venators look more like 17" ones. After all, I think 50 profile is what volvo factory fits on 17" rims. But do prove me wrong. I'm also considering installing 235/45 ones instead or maybe 255/40. Both of which would increase the tire sidewall by some amount but stay below the cars calibrated tire size, which is 2000 mm on my S80. 245/45 is above that and will make your speed show too little.

Registered
If your going strictly summer performance. Id suggest researching yokohama s.drive. $150ish a tire for 245/40/18. That's us currency. Also the michelin super sport are awesome. $190ish a tire. Another $60 to a $80 bucks to mount them.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Registered
I have just put 255/45/18 on my S80 Executive (18" Balius wheels) on standard suspension. Only about 300 miles driven with no apparent problems.

Sent using a Jedi mind trick!

Registered
Anyone tried the 235/40-18s the is listed for the 2015 models on earlier models? On tire rack.com, the size is a little smaller in diameter that the 245/20-18 (25.4 vs 25.7").

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fairly sure it's just a matter of narrower tires by 1 cm (about 2/5 of an inch), no change in neither car nor wheels. I guess it could go marginally good for fuel economy and marginally bad for pushing the car, needing grip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts