SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who went one size bigger on their tires, how do you like it? I want to go a little bigger to protect the wheels but don’t know if it would rub or just look weird. Any info would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
798 Posts
I’ve had both and prefer 245/45/18. Does not rub and actually fills the gap better. Ride is smoother and wheels get less damage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's about that time of year. I've got some old BFGoodrich 245/40r18s on my Sleipnirs that's I've gotta replace.

Was looking at upping to 45 profile as well.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I’ve had both and prefer 245/45/18. Does not rub and actually fills the gap better. Ride is smoother and wheels get less damage.
This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any before and after pics of your Volvo to show the difference in wheel well spacing?
I’ll post some later on. Had them put on last night and so far so good

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Not worth a picture. difference is about an inch in diameter. I don't notice it visually but the butt dyno does. I have 17s for the winter and use the taller tire on the summer 18s.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
245/40/18

245/45/18

It’s hard to tell from the pictures, but in person they look noticeably different, but not really any worse.

·
Registered
30 Posts
245/40/18

245/45/18

It’s hard to tell from the pictures, but in person they look noticeably different, but not really any worse.

. Thanks for the pics. I'm looking to go this route myself to better ride quality with the bad roads here in NYC.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Any before and after pics of your Volvo to show the difference in wheel well spacing?
No pics, the difference is minor. The tire diameter is only an inch larger, so the sidewall height is only a half inch taller. The S80 has a big fender gap to start. You’ll notice more rubber, but it looks normal, not ultra-low profile.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Our /13 T6 has the sport suspension so fender gap is smaller than non-sport. With the 45 series the fender gap is quite small. The 45s give the car a slightly different look. My Volvo buddy Dan said it looks beefier. Not the most eloquent way to describe it but accurate. Our roads here in greater Detroit area are just awful and the 45s make the ride almost tolerable. Completely intolerable with the 40s such that I'd be shopping for another car if didn't switch to the 45s.

Best,
Jeff

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have ran 245/45/18 for over ten years on my 07 s80 after the factory tires wore out, its rides much better and have never had a problem with rubbing

·
Registered
22 Posts
I swapped up from 245/40r18s to 245/45r18 P-Zero AS+, very much improved ride. Glad I upped the profile.

Not to derail, what sized winter tires are people running?

I've got 245/45r17s currently.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I swapped up from 245/40r18s to 245/45r18 P-Zero AS+, very much improved ride. Glad I upped the profile.

Not to derail, what sized winter tires are people running?

I've got 245/45r17s currently.
I forget what size, but one of the factory 17” sizes on steelies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like the way it looks and rides over bumps, but don’t like the tires at all. I got continental extreme contact dws 06 and the sidewalls are extremely soft. Swerving above 40 and you can feel the car move on the tires, so it feels much more unstable even though it doesn’t lose traction. I’m sure a tire with a stiffer sidewall would perform much better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
this is encouraging

May I ask what vehicle and year exactly you have? i have a 2016 V60 Sport Suspension FWD and I'd like to go from a 235/40/19, to a 245/45/18 to increase comfort, but worry about tripping off sensors and rubbing with the diameter increase. My case would be a tad less of an increase in tire diameter than what you did from 40 to 45 side wall. So you are saying there were no negative side effects?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts