SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

After moving the ignition wires around and replacing the old brittle plastic ignition wire holders, my Volvo now backfires once when I first start the engine cold.

The backfire occurs about one and half seconds after the engine has been running, so it is not immediate. Also, when the engine is cold acceleration is really really sluggish. Once the engine is warm the acceleration problem goes away....

I have checked the firing order on the distributor to the engine; everything seems to be in the right order... 1, 3, 4, 2

Could I have messed up the timing somehow?

Thanks
-Eric

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
check you that the wires arnt earthing on anything. also make sure you havet cable tied the leads to somthing. check if the leads have litle white dots this means they have been earthing..

michael.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean by "cable tie?"

Today, however, the car did not backfire once. I guess the problem worked it self out?

-Eric

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
cable tie as in, a little black plastic strip that you use to tie the cables togeather with... as long as the igniion cables arnt joined togeather in other way other than the plastic clips on the head.
it seems weird that its stop all ofsuden. oh well.

michael

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, no cable ties. In fact I just got new plastic OEM ignition wire holders.

It's funny... I thought it wasn't back firing any more, but today as I was slowing down to park the car backfired once.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the car would not run if any of the ignition wires were in the wrong order?

Thanks!
-Eric

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
devalmyth,

Ahhh you may have solved my problem. Wouldn't having two of the wires switched cause the car to backfire constantly, not just once and a while?

What damages could occur from the current problems?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts